Gym or Home Work- out?

Options
Which do you prefer - pros & cons to each?

Replies

• lisabee77
    lisabee77 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Home. I can wear whatever I want and listen to loud music (or not). I roll out of bed, get dressed and go workout. No travel time. No crowds, no waiting for a piece of equipment and no germs from sick people exercising.
    The only con is that I don't have a few things that the gym does...mainly a bunch of different sized dumbbells ready to go and a squat cage. I've been slowly collecting equipment though and will have it all soon.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Gym. It would be far too expensive to outfit a homegym the way that would make me happy (I might be a bit spoilt and would insist that it have everything I have between my two current gyms)
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Both - The gym because once I am there I will more than likely complete my workout as planned.
    - Home because I can take breaks as long as I need to and I can curse out loud!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Gym. I have tried multiple times in the past to work out at home. I'm not disciplined enough. Minus doing a few pull ups here and there when I walk by my bar I can't work out at home.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I love my home gym. I am disciplined enough to get my workouts in everyday and I don't have to get out in the cold or snow. I don't have to share equipment with some sweaty, stinky guy with obnoxious protein farts. I workout in my underwear and don't wear shoes. No monthly fees or memberships. No guys balking at you or trying to "show you" how to lift heavy weights. I also don't have to tolerate cardio bunnies that come to the gym all dressed up with full make up. It's just me and the iron!
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Both, I love the gym for the equipment it has to offer but its nice to have a treadmill and some weights at the house for the days I am running short on time
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Home gym here. I bought a squat rack and other gear second hand & dirt cheap and I have it set up the way I like it. I don't have to share, I don't have to travel and it's easy enough to roll out of bed of a morning and get a workout done before the kids get up.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Gym for equipment variety and less distractions I set time and when there focus leave everything at door and just relax and have fun
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I prefer the gym...way more equipment than I could ever have. Also, I just get way too distracted at home with the kids...this needs fixed or that needs fixed or whatever...gym time is my time, and that wouldn't really happen at home.

I would like to get some bumper plates and an Olympic bar for home though and build an Oly-platform. Other than that I primarily do a lot of biking and a little running.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    both. depends on how I feel and what I wanna do. Lift? Gym. Kettlebell or bodyweight or calisthenics? Home or gym.
  • allieallieoxenfree
    allieallieoxenfree Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Both! I love how many options I have at the gym (especially that assisted pull-up machine!) but I hate people. Ugh.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Neither. Go for a run, then do bodyweight work while I'm out in the woods.
  • girl_w_2_forks_and_a_knife
    girl_w_2_forks_and_a_knife Posts: 19 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    At home is my preference. Easier for me to accomplish my goals, and I'm more disciplined. I have got several DVDs that I use, weights and resistance bands. I do visit the gym but not often enough, and mostly for cycling.

Cons about at home is that I don't have a set routine because I have so much flexibility. The gym is a controlled environment so I cannot blast music, and I cannot stand waiting to use equipment.
  • fobs13
    fobs13 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    At home as our local gym sucks. New enough to this so need to get more stuff for home. Use DVDs and an elliptical at home.
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Home. Being in a wheelchair, most of the equipment at gyms isn't accessible to me anyway. I've got a bench, dumbbells, barbells, and a homemade lat pulldown system, so I can pretty much do all I need/want to do at home... the only thing I would like to have access to that I don't is a pec deck. Plus, like others have mentioned, it's more convenient, I can crank up my music and not deal with having to wear ear buds, I don't have to be concerned with my attire and I can control the temperature of the room. :smile:
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm currently working out at home, and unless I suddenly get the money to drop on a power rack and barbell, it's definitely lacking. It really depends on what your goal is, though.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Both.

The gym for the pool, and home (or outside) for everything else. :smiley:
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Both.. I like the gym for the cardio at lunch...and I have a rack at home with a lat attachment and enough plates and dumbbells to be dangerous to myself... for me it's all about convenience... MY company's gym is top dollar... at lunch I just blast down 7 flights of stairs... and I can squeeze in a 30-40 minute cardio... and after work... when I get home... I can turn up the tunes... and lift things up and put them back down... and I don't have someone hovering nearby waiting for me to finish.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Mostly home and lunch breaks at work. Work doesn't have a gym, but there are showers and plenty of roads to run on. I do take some classes w/ County Parks & Rec when they have something I like that fits my schedule. I prefer at home work outs though. I can do what I want, fart if I have to, and listen to my own tunes.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Both. I go to the gym to lift weights in the morning then in the afternoon I do my DDP yoga and every other day I hit the bike trainer.