Ladies, you will NOT bulk up by lifting heavy!

RobynMWilson
RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
I just wanted to share my results from Body Beast to show women that you will NOT bulk up from heavy lifting and it will do your metabolism GOOD!

See, I was an obese kid with a high weight of 200lbs in 8th grade (I was 5'6 at the time and I'm very small-boned so don't carry that kind of weight well). I was a size 18 with a BP of 200/120 at 13 yrs old. In 1986. When the whole world was 'skinny'.

So, I do not have a naturally fast metabolism.

I discovered that muscle burns fat a couple of years ago with a program called ChaLEAN Extreme, which was my introduction to heavy lifting. My body fat was going UP as I approached my late 30s and my cardio addiction with some light weights thrown in was failing me. My body fat was at 28%.

Today my body fat is around 18%.

With this round of Body Beast I had hoped to gain some muscle weight, but my dad had started chemo just a few days after I started Beast, went downhill very quickly and I became his primary caregiver for a month before he passed away on August 28th. Since then I've struggled to get back on my "regular" eating. Eating out too much, eating Mom's not so healthy food too much, being somewhat undisciplined about meal prep and slowly getting back on track with that.

But, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that I'm 42 yrs old and eat 2200-2400 cals per day to maintain. That should not happen with somebody my age with my history and my family history.

Muscle burns fat! And a structured program will maximize this effect! Go get some weights, ladies!!

2hwidkh.jpg

dn1qbl.jpg

Replies

• silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    I'm thrilled for you that you're happy with your body. However, your title is simply untrue. I did bulk up far more than I'd like by lifting weights, biking, running, and stairclimbing in a misguided effort to lose weight. I didn't lose weight. I gained muscle, just like a bodybuilder, since I was acting like one (3 - 4 hrs in the gym 4x/week, and eating to my hunger levels, which means a caloric excess).

Our bodies all respond differently. You say you're small boned. I'm not. I'm big boned, big framed with big legs, hips, and arms. The lifting made it worse because I build muscle fast. I didn't want to be big. I wanted to be smaller.

It would be far more helpful to explain to women that if they do not want to bulk they MUST eat a calorie deficit while lifting, or else they may become accidental body builders like me.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    By the way, you look great!
  • Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Some women might bulk up, if they have unnaturally high levels of testosterone thanks to bad genetics or steroid injection, but generally speaking the idea that women bulk up from lifting weights is a tall tale of the highest order.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Lol @ "accidental bodybuilder".... :noway:
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    randomtai wrote: »

I hate when that happens to me.
  • RobynMWilson
    zarckon wrote: »
    I'm thrilled for you that you're happy with your body. However, your title is simply untrue. I did bulk up far more than I'd like by lifting weights, biking, running, and stairclimbing in a misguided effort to lose weight. I didn't lose weight. I gained muscle, just like a bodybuilder, since I was acting like one (3 - 4 hrs in the gym 4x/week, and eating to my hunger levels, which means a caloric excess).

Our bodies all respond differently. You say you're small boned. I'm not. I'm big boned, big framed with big legs, hips, and arms. The lifting made it worse because I build muscle fast. I didn't want to be big. I wanted to be smaller.

It would be far more helpful to explain to women that if they do not want to bulk they MUST eat a calorie deficit while lifting, or else they may become accidental body builders like me.

Thank you! I did have some friends who are much bigger boned than me doing this program who are also focusing on weight loss, and they have not bulked up and both saw better results with this program than others they have tried, including primarily cardio workouts.

That being said, the majority of women, barring hormonal imbalances, do not bulk up just by lifting. But, that would be too long of a title! lol ;)

Also, if you are hungry and not feeding that hunger while lifting, you are not fueling your muscles enough to get that fat burning effect you are looking for. I see it all too often among women and personal trainers who are still using outdated information to train people. I'm not saying that's what happened with you, but you shouldn't be hungry while lifting heavy. Especially if you're training for that many hours. I never train more than an hour per day and take 1-2 rest days per week.

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member

The part in bold shows there was nothing accidental about it.

• WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    randomtai wrote: »

I wish I had that problem. #hardgainer
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    or else they may become accidental body builders like me.

230114_908223010.png
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited November 2014

Lifting and eating in an unmeasured manner like you did, most likely resulted in strength gains, some muscle gains and fat gains. Unless you have pics showing you have a bodybuilding type of body, your results aren't anything that anyone here couldn't achieve.

The OP mentions eating at maintenance during her journey
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    yawn
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    You look great but this topic has been beat to death....
  • You look amazing!! Congrats!
  • JessaLee0324
    JessaLee0324 Posts: 118 Member
    Wow, you look amazing! Much better than me, and I'm 10 years younger than you! Go girl!!!
  • bebenevaeh
    bebenevaeh Posts: 65 Member
    Great job!
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    I too read the title and thought "not this again", but your story and your photos are inspiring. Congratulations.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Some women might bulk up, if they have unnaturally high levels of testosterone thanks to bad genetics or steroid injection, but generally speaking the idea that women bulk up from lifting weights is a tall tale of the highest order.

I'd kill for those "bad genetics" right now.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member

Sweet Jesus, yeah that would buff one up. I spend an hour and a half in the gym 4x a week, I seriously don't think I could walk or move for that matter after 3-4 hours lol...

OP Great job!!!
  • RobynMWilson
    Thanks everybody and please be nice!

For the record, I was really trying to eat more. I had food issues as a kid and really worked to control my portions and "shrink" my stomach the non-surgical way back in the 80s, and so I added extra meals and snacks rather than bigger portions so as not to "stretch" the stomach back out (and never needing a gastric sleeve lol). But I tiptoed too lightly around my food issues and did the best I could but only got up to 2200 cals, so the next time, I'm gonna try the "Beast O Matic" shake recipes in the nutrition guide to beef up my protein shakes. I cannot have whey or casein as I'm allergic so I use egg white protein but I can sub that out for these recipes. I think that extra few hundred cals per day will help.

I'm kinda lazy about food prep. Especially as I was Dad's primary caregiver when I started this program and he passed on August 28th so I've been struggling to get back into my usual routine as far as food prep is concerned.

Happy to see my legs changed shape, though! I didn't think it was possible!! :smiley:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Especially as I was Dad's primary caregiver when I started this program and he passed on August 28th so I've been struggling to get back into my usual routine as far as food prep is concerned.

I am sorry to hear this. :flowerforyou: :sad:

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!