Quick question

Does anyone know if working out in 3 10 minute increments during the day has the same benefits as working out 30 minutes straight

Replies

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Just bumping this up for you. What kind of exercise? Do you only have 10 minute increments?
  • jfaure23
    jfaure23 Posts: 114 Member
    I think it may have added benefits by keeping your heart rate elevated longer during the day if it's split up. But it would need to exclude any cool down or warmup time... no easing into it. Overall, I think that to get the same impact as 30 mins straight it may actually take longer as you should do a min or two before the workout to get the heart rate up.
  • sandicat6
    sandicat6 Posts: 61 Member
    any time you are moving is better than not.
  • kelly39014
    kelly39014 Posts: 38 Member
    lorib642 wrote: »
    Just bumping this up for you. What kind of exercise? Do you only have 10 minute increments?
    Like running on the treadmill or elliptical
  • kelly39014
    kelly39014 Posts: 38 Member
    jfaure23 wrote: »
    I think it may have added benefits by keeping your heart rate elevated longer during the day if it's split up. But it would need to exclude any cool down or warmup time... no easing into it. Overall, I think that to get the same impact as 30 mins straight it may actually take longer as you should do a min or two before the workout to get the heart rate up.
    Thanks
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Exercising three times for ten minutes does not provide the same benefits as thirty minutes of exercise.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Intensity counts more than duration for fitness.

As for weightloss, don't even worry about it. Do what you want. Weightloss is mostly (80%) about diet.
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    If you are more likely to do 3 x 10 than you are to do 30... do it. You will benefit either way.
  • kapoorpk
    kapoorpk Posts: 244 Member
    All of the above is correct, depending on the context in which you are asking and your goal. If your goal is to either keep the blood flow going or just burn a few calories, then yes, this is an excellent way to break a desk job type of a routine. But, if your goal is to achieve a greater cardiac health, it is recommended to sustain an elevated heart rate for a longer duration to gain significant benefit. So, it depends on your goal. Good luck!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    For some reason, I'm thinking longer is better, BUT I've no idea why I think that and may be totally off base.

Still, even if longer is better, three 10-minute bursts are better than nothing. If that's all you can cram in, I give you all kinds of props for using them. Go you!