Donating Platelets (,or Blood, or Plasma) and Calorie Loss

Options
I'm not sure if this is in the correct category but I figured that the Fitness and Exercise has to do with losing calories just as donating whole blood or blood parts.
Anyways, to get back to the original point of this post... I donate platelets once every other week and I was looking for information on how many calories that would burn for me. I've read posts that say donating a pint of whole blood helps you burn around 600 calories as your body replenishes what was taken away. I've also read that replenishing plasma burns about the same amount of calories. The thing is, I can't find any information on platelet donations. If anyone has any information on this it would be greatly appreciated. If it makes any difference, I always give a triple donation. Thank you for any information you have.

Replies

• uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Uh....er....I wouldn't rely on blood donations as an effective weight loss technique.
  • CDSValentine8690
    CDSValentine8690 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm not using my donations as a weight loss technique. I've been donating for years now and I've only been tracking calories for a month now. I was just wondering because I was super hungry today and I went more than 600 calories over my daily goal. I'm not trying to lose weight hard core anyways; I'm mainly looking to get an accurate calorie count at the end of the day.
  • bingertheleftwinger
    Options
    I'm also a bi- weekly platelet donor. It never occurred to me that there might be some calorie burn. From webmd though it seems like it would negligible on a daily basis. The way I read it, the 600 calorie burn donating whole blood is spread out over the time it takes to replenish the whole blood which based on how often you are eligible to donate would be 56 daysi ie around 10 calories per day. Couldn't really find anything definitive on platelet donation but since replacement seems to take 14 days, if it was 600 as well it would be less than 50 per day. I'm going in this Saturday so may ask the nurses if they have any better info
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Well this is certainly a new low for weight loss techniques
  • Relentless_0ne
    Options
    Calorie Burn = Energy Expenditure..... What part of losing body fluids has to do with converting calories into energy?
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I would say that falls into the category of over-thinking things :) That type of thinking will eventually drive you nuts anyway. For the most part, on any given day you can err to the tune of about 500 calories and not drastically impact your weight loss. So if you're hungry when you donate, eat. Just don't OVER eat. One day off the wagon isn't the end of things.
  • Relentless_0ne
    Relentless_0ne Posts: 38
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Learn something new every day.... Could not find the specific study however, according to the University of California, San Diego people burn approximately 650 calories per donation of one pint of blood. The calories are burned during the regeneration process.

Heres the problem. Although your plasma is regenerated in about 24 yours, the average timeframe your body takes to regenerate 1 pint of blood is 4-6 weeks. (lets say 5) So congrats, if you donate blood you earn yourself on average about an extra 20 calories (18.57) per day. You can now afford to enjoy a few more tic tacs.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but this kinda made me chuckle.

I think this bird might burn more calories...

giphy.gif
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    Learn something new every day.... Could not fin the specific study however, according to the University of California, San Diego people burn approximately 650 calories per donation of one pint of blood. The calories are burned during the regeneration process.

Heres the problem. Although your plasma is regenerated in about 24 yours, the average timeframe your body takes to regenerate 1 pint of blood is 4-6 weeks. (lets say 5) So congrats, if you donate blood you earn yourself on average about an extra 20 calories (18.57) per day. You can now afford to enjoy a few more tic tacs.

Not if you couple this with cold showers...

I'm contacting my publisher right now!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

giphy.gif

Birds are fat burning machines. How do you think they can fly 1000mi without stopping for McDonalds? :p
  • Relentless_0ne
    Options
    Learn something new every day.... Could not fin the specific study however, according to the University of California, San Diego people burn approximately 650 calories per donation of one pint of blood. The calories are burned during the regeneration process.

Not if you couple this with cold showers...

I'm contacting my publisher right now!

:D:p
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

giphy.gif

Birds are fat burning machines. How do you think they can fly 1000mi without stopping for McDonalds? :p

i1FaNalOrHjST_zps0fb4a062.gif
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I thought this must be a joke. I've heard it all!
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Learn something new every day.... Could not find the specific study however, according to the University of California, San Diego people burn approximately 650 calories per donation of one pint of blood. The calories are burned during the regeneration process.

LOL....helps to read and understand the fine print, eh??
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

giphy.gif

sorfwahp2ri7.jpeg
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    dafuq?
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

giphy.gif

Welcome back :)!
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    8s5gpzex8xcy.gif

^can I count this as a calorie burn. Hedge trimming has to burn something.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

giphy.gif

Welcome back :)!

Thanks love...but now I must go...
    giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    b5xv0tvw9cuk.jpg
    Here they come.