Carb Cycling

Options
Alrighty,
So, I'm a 22 year old female who lifts 4-5 days a week with pretty much no cardio. I am currently eating at matinence level macros with 240 g Carbs, 135 g protein, and 50 grams fat. I have been trying to set up a carb cycle so cut a little fat and gain a little muscle, i reall just want to experiement and see how my body will respond. However, everything i read about carb cycling tells me something different. I set up about 10 different cycles, all with low, medium, and high days, and varying amounts of macros. I can't figure out what is best! I feel based on what i've read that my matinence macros should be equal to my medium carb days, adjusting to lower fat and protein on high carb days, and higher fat and protein on low carb days. However, everything i've read that explains the math behind it shows my medium carb days being around 180 grams of carbs and high carb days being around 250 grams with only 30 grams fat. It makes sense to me that if i'm maintaining eating 240 carbs and 50 grams of fat every day, then shouldnt my high carb days be more like 260-300 grams carbs? and should my fat on low carb days be more like 60 grams?

Obviously from all my rambling, i'm lost and confused and could really use some input from someone who has done a carb cycle. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Alrighty,
    So, I'm a 22 year old female who lifts 4-5 days a week with pretty much no cardio. I am currently eating at matinence level macros with 240 g Carbs, 135 g protein, and 50 grams fat. I have been trying to set up a carb cycle so cut a little fat and gain a little muscle, i reall just want to experiement and see how my body will respond. However, everything i read about carb cycling tells me something different. I set up about 10 different cycles, all with low, medium, and high days, and varying amounts of macros. I can't figure out what is best! I feel based on what i've read that my matinence macros should be equal to my medium carb days, adjusting to lower fat and protein on high carb days, and higher fat and protein on low carb days. However, everything i've read that explains the math behind it shows my medium carb days being around 180 grams of carbs and high carb days being around 250 grams with only 30 grams fat. It makes sense to me that if i'm maintaining eating 240 carbs and 50 grams of fat every day, then shouldnt my high carb days be more like 260-300 grams carbs? and should my fat on low carb days be more like 60 grams?

Obviously from all my rambling, i'm lost and confused and could really use some input from someone who has done a carb cycle. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Carb cycling isn't going to allow you recomp. Pick a goal, set macros and cals to achieve that goal then go to your secondary goal and make nessacary adjustments
  • violetzadie
    Options
    Are you saying if i want to gain muscle mass i should keep eating at matinence levels or start a reverse diet? I do want to gain muscle but i also would like to lose a little fat. Does 240 grams of carbs for a woman my age/size/activity level seem high?
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    the "Reverse Dieting" is idiotic in my opinion. Your body doesn't metabolically change that much. If you're cutting, one day, every two weeks, of going 500 or so OVER maintenance calories is all you need.

Anyhow. If you want to gain muscle mass, you need to eat a surplus of calories, PERIOD. You can't lose fat & gain muscle as the same time, unless you are NEW to lifting. In that case.... your body will change a minuscule amount, but still noticeable. If you're worried about fat gaining while trying to add on mass, lean bulk. Meaning ONLY go over your maintenance by 200-300 calories for a few weeks and see how you feel / look.

The best thing you can do.... go to IIFYM.com, put in your body stats / age / etc. , how many times a week you workout, etc. and use the numbers you are given for about a week and a half.... then adjust from there DEPENDING ON WHAT YOU WANT TO DO.

There's no need to cut carbs, at all, or carb cycle.... ever. Unless you plan on getting on stage.