Carb Cycling

Options
Alrighty,

A little back story, i went from 200 lbs to my current weight of 124. Towards the end of my weight loss i developed an extremely unhealthy relationship with food and exercise, was restricting and doing cardio like crazy. Eventually, i snapped out of itand realize i couldnt live that way anymore. I started following flexible dieting, IIFYM, about 8 months ago. My current goal is to build muscle, but i'm conflicted because i also want to lean out. Im thin, but have some extra skin from the weight loss and am dying to see those abs i've been working so hard for. So, i'm wanting to try anything that could possibly help me build/maintain muscle while cutting some fat, then once i've cut that fat possibly bulk or reverse diet to gain muscle.

So, I'm a 22 year old female who lifts 4-5 days a week with pretty much no cardio. I am currently eating at matinence level macros with 240 g Carbs, 135 g protein, and 50 grams fat. I have been trying to set up a carb cycle so cut a little fat and gain a little muscle, i reall just want to experiement and see how my body will respond. However, everything i read about carb cycling tells me something different. I set up about 10 different cycles, all with low, medium, and high days, and varying amounts of macros. I can't figure out what is best! I feel based on what i've read that my matinence macros should be equal to my medium carb days, adjusting to lower fat and protein on high carb days, and higher fat and protein on low carb days. However, everything i've read that explains the math behind it shows my medium carb days being around 180 grams of carbs and high carb days being around 250 grams with only 30 grams fat. It makes sense to me that if i'm maintaining eating 240 carbs and 50 grams of fat every day, then shouldnt my high carb days be more like 260-300 grams carbs? and should my fat on low carb days be more like 60 grams?

Obviously from all my rambling, i'm lost and confused and could really use some input from someone who has done a carb cycle. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Firstly the main determining factor of fat gain in a surplus is the amount above maintenance not the macro dist.

If you know your current maintenance then I'd go with the simple approach of something like adding 50g of carbs or so on the days that you train. Eat at maintenance on the other days.

No need to make it any more complicated than that I'd say :)

oh and congrats on the weight loss!
  • Sdennis817
    Sdennis817 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Have you read Chris Powell's book! choose More, Lose More for Life? He has a maintenance plan at the end of the book. It takes all the guesswork out of it. Congrats on your weight loss!

Sherry
  • liftingdiva
    Options
    congraaaaats on you weight lose-i do 40-40-20 plan to get ripped-i think you look amazing-i love chris powells book
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    chrisdavey wrote: »
    Firstly the main determining factor of fat gain in a surplus is the amount above maintenance not the macro dist.

If you know your current maintenance then I'd go with the simple approach of something like adding 50g of carbs or so on the days that you train. Eat at maintenance on the other days.

Agree. It's overall caloric intake over a period of time that dictates loss or gain. Macros (and training) dictate the composition of that loss or gain (more fat or more muscle). Carb cycling just introduces more complexity than needed. For the general populace of people, this would be a like one tree in a forest...but for a athlete competing, this might be the difference between 1st place and 2nd place.

I listened to a podcast not too long ago with Eric Helms and either Armi Legge or Danny Lennon and this topic was discussed some. Might want Google it for further info if interested.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    cajuntank wrote: »

Agree. It's overall caloric intake over a period of time that dictates loss or gain. Macros (and training) dictate the composition of that loss or gain (more fat or more muscle). Carb cycling just introduces more complexity than needed.

I totally agree with this. I tried carb-cycling for a couple of months. It was fine--honestly, I didn't notice any big differences except I was constantly crazing high fat, high carb foods, which defeat the purpose of carb-cycling (high fat, low carb days and low fat, high carb days). I prefer to have my cake and eat it too.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - congrats on the weight loss. ..

You can't "lose a little bit of fat, and gain a little bit of muscle" at the same time…reason being both of those processes are diametrically opposed to each other. Fat loss = calorie deficit; where as, muscle gain = calorie surplus. Basically, think of it this way can you build a house and tear it down at the same time?

If you are happy with your current weight and body fat…then do a bulk of say .5 pounds a week over the winter months and then after say three months or so do a cut to get rid of the fat and show off your new muscles…

• violetzadie
    violetzadie Posts: 8
    edited November 2014
    Options

Thanks so much for the reply!

I realize I am just complicating the whole thing. My problem is that Im still holding onto that fear I developed during my weight loss of gaining fat, I'm scared to up my carbs because mentally it makes me extremely anxious. Also, I do notice I look a lot leaner the morning after a low carb day.

What I would really love is to start a reverse diet but I'm scared of starting one on my own, Ive done a ton of research on the subject but I feel I'd need a trainer to do it correctly.

Regardless of this fear, I'm going to take your advise and slowly up my carbs on intense training days and eat at matinence the rest of the time. Would you advise I adjust to lower fat on high carb days?

Thanks again, I really appreciate the support!
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    OP: read this. Seriously. I totally get where you're coming from.

http://www.fitnessbaddies.com/why-lifting-weights-lets-you-eat-more-carbs-and-all-about-metabolism/
  • violetzadie
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

Holy *kitten*, this is seriously one of the best articles i've read, and i've read a lot. Given i've still only gotten about a quarter of the way through it, it's throughly explaining everything i've read/heard its such a clear way. Seriously...on point! This is so informative, thank you so much.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Also, I do notice I look a lot leaner the morning after a low carb day.

You're probably just holding less water after a low carb day.

The advice you got from chrisdavey is spot on IMO. Don't major in the minor and don't stress this too much. You have come a long way so you know how to do this.

Best of luck!
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I've used carb cycling a few times to cut fat, and it works well for me. I am able to up my strength and 1RM (not necessarily build muscle) simultaneously, with the result being lower body fat percentage and a leaner, stronger physique. I did not find it complicated at all. I planned out my low, medium, and high menus, and stuck to it with great results. I simultaneously cycled calories. I kept my protein set at 120-130, fat at 25-35%, and the rest of my daily calories were made of carbs. I think I was doing 4 lows, 2 meds, and 2 highs a week. So, using 1400 calories as an average and varying by 300 calories a day, it would look like:

1100: PRO 120, FAT 43, CAR 58
    1400: PRO 125, FAT 45, CAR 124
    1700: PRO 130, FAT 47, CAR 190

You can arrange the amount you vary by however much you want, I suppose, just make it manageable. Another option is just to do a high/low rotation. I also find this easy because even if you are thinking on your low day that you wish you could eat more, you know the next day you will be stuffing yourself so its easier to maintain that self control.
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

Holy *kitten*, this is seriously one of the best articles i've read, and i've read a lot. Given i've still only gotten about a quarter of the way through it, it's throughly explaining everything i've read/heard its such a clear way. Seriously...on point! This is so informative, thank you so much.

You're welcome! Someone recently sent it to me, so I'm just paying it forward :)

I agree with the above re: majoring in the minors. Most likely it's not worth the time and effort (and headache of changing your diet almost daily). Just eat good food and lift heavy!