How different would my life have been?

Now that I'm lighter, I've started wondering about all the things that would have been different in my life had I always been this weight. For example when I was in the Marine Corps I always hovered around the max allowable weight, 155. I use to get hounded by my superiors to drop weight and the Drill Instructors in training seemed to always pick on me, even though I thought I was just as in shape as all the other women. I was wrong! I was running a 3 mile in 24:00 and most of the others were maxing the time at 21:00 or below. That's a huge difference, but for some reason it never occurred to me. And it also never occurred to me how easy it would have been to make my life so much easier. Just lose 20 lbs. Would I have stayed in the military if it had been easier? Would I have gotten better grades in college because I would have had more energy? I feel like I can conquer the world at this weight and fitness and I wish I would have maximized my potential 10 years ago.

What about you all? Would anything have been different for you?

Replies

• weatheredcheese
    weatheredcheese Posts: 112 Member
    Everything! I got bogged down at school, bullied, was unfit and couldn't enjoy the sports I loved.
    Ended up in a dead end job, sitting on my *kitten* most of the day playing computer games and continued to gain weight.
    I then met my partner, 6 years in we had a child together and I realised I needed to change otherwise I wouldn't last to see him reach 18! So last year I got myself some running shoes and I ran!
    Lost 4 stone last year, only to then have issues with my gall bladder, which I had removed back in December, this put me out of action for 3 months and 2 stone cam back on, which I have been sat on ever since.
    I have been cycling alot this year to try and loose weight but never sorted out the bad eating habits, but November is my month!
    Cycling, running and watching my calorie intake, half a stone down and enjoying the fresh air and exercise - the only way is forward!
  • I agree but for me it's pretty much life in general. I have been struggling with a case of the "what-ifs"....

I really feel like going through those experiences at a higher weight helps you develop as a person. You are probably stronger now, have more willpower, are more compassionate toward people, etc. Some people never have to struggle with their weight and learn these life lessons.

Good luck going forward!