BMR/TDEE

Options
Sorry, I'm sure this has been covered loads but I'm struggling to find what I'm looking for. My BMR is 1454 and my TDEE is 1999 (making the difference 545) I've only read about people who have a huge difference between the two figures. Do I still cut 500cals a day from the TDEE to lose weight even though that will take me pretty much to BMR?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'd really appreciate some advice. Can share my figures if that will help?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you should cut 20% from your TDEE to lose 1lb per week, which would be around 400 cals for you

the more exercise you do the higher your TDEE will be in comparrison to your BMR.
  • CareyHead
    CareyHead Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great, thank you. I'm currently doing 2 hours running a week but will recalculate when I get fitter.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    CareyHead wrote: »
    Great, thank you. I'm currently doing 2 hours running a week but will recalculate when I get fitter.

and you've included that in your calculation?

just remember that all of these calculations are just estimations... try it for 4-6 weeks and then tweak up or down accordingly.
  • CareyHead
    Options
    Yes, included that on calculator. Thank you :)
  • CareyHead
    Options
    Oh, one more question. I don't eat back any exercise calories as I've already included these in my TDEE calculations?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    CareyHead wrote: »
    Oh, one more question. I don't eat back any exercise calories as I've already included these in my TDEE calculations?

correct
  • CareyHead
    Options
    Fab, thanks again. Really helpful.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    you should cut 20% from your TDEE to lose 1lb per week, which would be around 400 cals for you

the more exercise you do the higher your TDEE will be in comparrison to your BMR.
    At the risk of pedantry, 20% does not equal 1lb/wk. 3500 calories = 1lb = 500 calorie daily deficit. That's true regardless of TDEE.
  • CareyHead
    Options
    I think TavistockToad meant 400 cals a day + the 750 I burn a week running is what I need to do.