Strong curves? Or just general Glutes question

Options
(posting this again as i didn't get any answers in the exercise mb)
I recently started the Strong Curves workout program and i'm having a really difficult time contracting the glutes during the exercises.
I've spent my workouts stretching,doing a million donkey kicks,bridges,anything to activate the muscles but nothing. At that point my legs are literally shaking and then i try to perform the different exercises with the weight i progressed to before starting Strong Curves but shaky legs don't make a good workout,also trying to activate the muscles during the exercise leads me to keep moving around trying to find some magical angle that would do the trick which usually only leads to a messed up form.
I've had the worst workout again today and ready to give up,help please?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It seems like your other leg muscles are making up for your underdeveloped glutes and sometimes it can be really tricky to find the right angles. Have you tried heel elevated glute bridges, as these tend to take the focus off the quads and put focus on the glutes. Also stretching your hamstrings, quads, and hip flexors beforehand is very important.. I have very tight hamstrings and as a result this affects my activation. Also, make sure you are activating them all day long... when you reach to grab something off the floor, tighten the glutes and use them to lift your body up, when walking, try to squeeze the glutes. Pretty soon you will find your glutes develop strength and will take over from the other leg muscles but it takes time. Good luck!
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Brett Contreras mentioned this in an article on his webpage the other day. Don't do any weighted glute exercises until you can activate your glutes. Do body weight bridges and thrusts, etc.

What I do to activate my glutes before I start lifting is to do bridges and hold them for 10-20 seconds while contracting my glutes. When you start feeling it in your glutes, THEN you can add weight. If you feel it in your back or hamstrings, reset and squeeze your glutes together.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    You need to do The Perfect Bum by Doug Roberson. The first couple of weeks are stretches and exercises to activate (or "wake up" as he says) your glutes before you get into the serious exercises.
  • brosis85
    brosis85 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You can also use the Hip abductor machine .... push your heels firm into the foot grips, raise your butt about an inch off the seat and push the pads out for a two count and slowly let them come in for a two count. You will feel this in your lower back and your glutes ... there is no way to avoid using your glutes! Good luck!
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Find out where your Glute Medius muscle is on a diagram. Keep your top knee in-line with the hip at first. Lie on your side like you are going to do a leg lift and put your hand on your butt and see if you can get/feel the GM twitch before you lift your leg. If you don't feel the GM twitch, or at least pitch in to help, move the leg about an inch behind the hip, point your toe, turn out (point toe slightly behind you), and lift toward the ceiling. It might take you a few tries to feel something move, but once you hit that spot and your fingers learn what it feels like when the GM fires, you can feel your butt during other exercises to see if its firing. This move works because the TFL (part of the quads) and the quads themselves have a limited range of motion. Moving the leg slightly behind the hip limits how much those muscles can move and forces the GM to do more of the work.
  • jesslo800
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! I will try all your suggestions.
    Quick question,during this phase of only doing body weight or light weight can i workout everyday without rest days in between?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    IF your doing the form correctly on the exercises, then your glutes are being activated. To what extent will depend on resistance used and exercise being performed.
    Glutes are one of the strongest muscles in the body. If your legs are giving out, it's because they aren't well conditioned.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png