Potatoes, rice, bread and all that stuff

Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    jeansuza wrote: »
    Question: Health-wise, if you eat enough proteins, lots of veggies and fruits, some milk or yogurt, do you really need to eat rice, potatoes or bread at every meal? I use to hear that they should be 1/4 of your plate, but is this just propaganda?

Yes propaganda - you don't actually need any carbs with each meal. As long as you get a small enough quantity each day to get your micro nutrients from, that's all you actually NEED!

You may WANT more and if you do then eat them and make them fit into your calorie goal.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    There's no real need to eat grains at all, unless you like them. I eat them sometimes, but they do seem to be overpromoted by MyPlate and the pyramid back in the day.

waaay over promoted with the pyramid.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    it's not necessary to have carbs at every meal. I eat them, but I usually try to eat them earlier in the day along with my fruit. once or twice a week I will have them for dinner. But if you're going to have them, brown rice, sweet potatoes, quinoa, brown bread - never ever ever ever white anything! It's crap.

Can you please explain what makes white rice, white bread or regular potatoes crap? Be specific.

100+ year old Asians are being slooowly killed by them

SO what about 100 year smokers - would you then say that smoking is good for you!

I think every society have people that live to a ripe old age, I'm not sure that advocates anything!!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    it's not necessary to have carbs at every meal. I eat them, but I usually try to eat them earlier in the day along with my fruit. once or twice a week I will have them for dinner. But if you're going to have them, brown rice, sweet potatoes, quinoa, brown bread - never ever ever ever white anything! It's crap.

Can you please explain what makes white rice, white bread or regular potatoes crap? Be specific.

SO what about 100 year smokers - would you then say that smoking is good for you!

I think every society have people that live to a ripe old age, I'm not sure that advocates anything!!

Is smoking a commonality amongst 100 year olds? Last I check it wasn't. The dietary commonalities amongst the longest living, healthiest populations are highcarb/starch, plant -based diets.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    never ever ever ever white anything! It's crap.

So dairy, cauliflower, eggs (well, but for the yolk), celeriac, turnips, all bad? Hmm.
    Do ya think that's what she meant? I'm betting no.....

In that she included "potatoes," what's the difference?

Unless you think she thinks potatoes have white-ish middles because they are processed, but that seems unlikely. I hope it is, anyway.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    There's no real need to eat grains at all, unless you like them. I eat them sometimes, but they do seem to be overpromoted by MyPlate and the pyramid back in the day.

waaay over promoted with the pyramid.

Totally agree.

• mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm eating a French baguette right now and it's delicious! Everything in moderation!
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options

I think you're attempting an analogy, but I'm not sure.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options

Japan currently ranks #1 in average lifespan and has one of the lowest obesity rates of any country. But I'm sure it's because they stopped eating rice and noodles.
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options

Japan currently ranks #1 in average lifespan and has one of the lowest obesity rates of any country. But I'm sure it's because they stopped eating rice and noodles.

Thank you SnuggleSmacks - you are awesome and logical! Carbs are not the enemy - they just contain calories, like everything else. Eat them if you want, or don't... but if you overeat you will gain, no matter the composition of the calories!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options

Thank you SnuggleSmacks - you are awesome and logical! Carbs are not the enemy - they just contain calories, like everything else. Eat them if you want, or don't... but if you overeat you will gain, no matter the composition of the calories!

You should look at my Mediterranean cookbook...another culinary wonder producing high lifespans and a preponderance of octogenarians. Lots of pasta, rice and bread.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

I was just pointing out a lot of countries have people living into a ripe old age. I'm sure it has very little to do with what they are eating right now.

Asia is facing a diabetes epidemic with at least 60% of all cases globally coming from Asia.

I love rice, I love bread, I love pasta - I eat them all in moderation.

I don't think there is anything bad about them, but that said apart from how great they taste there isn't much good either.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Question: Health-wise, if you eat enough proteins, lots of veggies and fruits, some milk or yogurt, do you really need to eat rice, potatoes or bread at every meal? I use to hear that they should be 1/4 of your plate, but is this just propaganda?
    You never "need" to eat starchy carbs. You can. But you never "need to". You certainly never "need" to eat refined grains (store bought bread, pastas etc).
    I eat bread *maybe* once a week, if that, and when I do it's 100% whole grain. I eat some brown rice (+- 1 cup a week?). I eat a sweet potato once a month or so. I eat 100% whole grain pasta once every few weeks or so.
    I get plenty of carbs from fruits, veggies and dairy.

I do
    You "need" to? ok.

For performance purposes, yes.

if you say so. I've seen some great stuff from low carbers, and lots from folks who don't eat grains at all. But sure, if you do for your intense exercise or body building or whatever, ok.
    Does the OP? probably not.

That's why I said, "I do" and not "OP does". The material out there comparing low carb diets of athletes to those which consume carbohydrate rich diets is weighted heavily in favor of the latter.
    Yup. I understood you. And I clarified.

FWIW, your edit came after I had viewed the original response to me.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

thats-racist.gif
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options

I was just pointing out a lot of countries have people living into a ripe old age. I'm sure it has very little to do with what they are eating right now.

Asia is facing a diabetes epidemic with at least 60% of all cases globally coming from Asia.

I love rice, I love bread, I love pasta - I eat them all in moderation.

I don't think there is anything bad about them, but that said apart from how great they taste there isn't much good either.

The influence of the Western diet of excess could have nothing to do with this at all. Also, Japan is #33 out of 59 countries tracked by WHO for prevalence of diabetes as of 2013.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    You never "need" to eat starchy carbs. You can. But you never "need to". You certainly never "need" to eat refined grains (store bought bread, pastas etc).
    I eat bread *maybe* once a week, if that, and when I do it's 100% whole grain. I eat some brown rice (+- 1 cup a week?). I eat a sweet potato once a month or so. I eat 100% whole grain pasta once every few weeks or so.
    I get plenty of carbs from fruits, veggies and dairy.

I do
    You "need" to? ok.

For performance purposes, yes.

if you say so. I've seen some great stuff from low carbers, and lots from folks who don't eat grains at all. But sure, if you do for your intense exercise or body building or whatever, ok.
    Does the OP? probably not.

That's why I said, "I do" and not "OP does". The material out there comparing low carb diets of athletes to those which consume carbohydrate rich diets is weighted heavily in favor of the latter.
    I do, and I'm not a bodybuilder. Just based on my own observation, I personally need some carb source in every meal or I end up shaky and nauseated 1-2 hours after I eat. It doesn't have to be grains or potatoes -- any kind of vegetable, fruit or starch is fine -- but my body says carbs are necessary for me.

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    What the heck happened to common sense? Moderation, people. Have some bread if you want. Don't have some bread if you don't want. Why argue about it? Avoiding a food group because you think it's bad for you is just ridiculous. The only reason to avoid a food group is a valid medical reason. Life's too short to get hung up on such silliness.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    <--- omnivore.
    Carbohydrates have a bad rap these days but they are an easy way to sustain energy. That's why they are one of the macro nutrients. I generally pick whole grain over refined because whole grains, whole potatoes, and brown rice are a little slower to digest (all that fiber!) so they sustain me longer. There's more nutrients just under the skin, too.

I don't have to include carbs in every meal but my diabetic training is hard-wired. I include protein and carbs in every meal, every snack.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options

Asia also has about 60% of the world's population....
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    What the heck happened to common sense?

You have to ask?