Help me out - recommend a fish!

Options
I am not a big seafood eater. I like shrimp and scallops, but when it comes to actual fish, I am not a fan. I want to try to start eating some fish, but I am a little scared. So, my question is, can anyone recommend a fish (with a recipe would be even more awesome!) that doesn't taste too fishy and is semi-easy to make to start off with? Thanks!

Replies

• RachelYun27
    RachelYun27 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My favorite fish is frozen tilapia loins from Costco. I bake them in lemon juice and sprinkle cajun seasoning on them. I don't think they taste fishy at all. Fish like salmon and tuna have a stronger flavor and tend to taste fishy
  • TropicalParaMonster
    Options
    Pan seared tilapia is a personal favorite. I legit just use a teaspoon of canola/olive oil to sear it in the pan.

http://www.food.com/recipe/pan-fried-seasoned-tilapia-464936 (I use this except the butter part - thats where I use the oil)

I make most of my fish this way. Salmon, Tilapia etc. Season it with Italian, paprika, black pepper, a bit of flour to coat and put it in the pan. I eat it with some salad on the side and there's a healthy meal :)

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    Basa and Tilapia are the only ones that I find are not fishy. I've had trout before, but it was fresh caught so I'm not sure if store bought trout would be fishier. I've heard if you rinse the fish before cooking, it decreases some of the fishiness. Try it with a hollandaise sauce or with Cajun seasoning to give it some other flavor too. Lot of people use citrus (lemon or orange) but I find it needs a bit more than that.
  • AllAboutThatPace
    AllAboutThatPace Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think I will start with Tilapia, since you all mentioned it, thanks everyone!
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    My favorite fish is frozen tilapia loins from Costco. I bake them in lemon juice and sprinkle cajun seasoning on them. I don't think they taste fishy at all. Fish like salmon and tuna have a stronger flavor and tend to taste fishy

I came to recommend this. I bake with dry seasonings or pan sear and make tacos out of them.
  • 1pjah7
    1pjah7 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Flounder and cod are mild tasting white fleshed fish. Not a big fish eater myself, but these I can eat without being turned off by the fishy taste.
  • clafairy1984
    clafairy1984 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    i used to be in your position. I couldnt stand fish, the smell or the taste. But i decided to wean myself onto it, due to the healthy benefits ie low calorie, low fat, high protein, omega oils etc. Any white fish doesn't taste very fishy. I like to use cod or Pollock or hake, and bake in the oven, topped with homemade breadcrumbs garlic and herbs, with a side of sweet potato wedges, and baked vine tomatoes. or you could try making your own fishcakes, as the potato and seasoning will reduce the fish taste, all you need is a bit of salad on the side. Or maybe try a fish based curry, as again, the spices will reduce the fish taste. I would steer clear of salmon, tuna, mackerel etc until youre more accustomed to the taste. I now eat fish 3 times a week or so, and it's delicious and healthy.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I don't like tilapia or cod...so if you don't like those, don't give up! My favorite fish is salmon, and I'll just throw some seasoning on it and bake or broil it in the oven. I also like to wrap it in aluminum foil and throw it on the grill.

Edit: I also don't like lemon on fish. I prefer using a seasoning meant for chicken or steak. Hmmm. Maybe this means that I don't actually like fish....
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I bought a pre-stuffed tilapia from the grocery store's seafood department the other day and just had to bake it for dinner. It was delicious, easy and not overly "fishy" tasting.
  • bbastin55
    bbastin55 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of cod!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    tuna is a 'meaty' fish
  • Dawmelvan
    Dawmelvan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Baked wild caught Cod with salt and lemon
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I find cod, sole and salmon very fishy.

If you mix tuna with mayo, garlic, paprika, pickle, celery, and onion powder on a bun and then cover it with shredded cheese and broil it its the best thing in the world almost (doesn't seem fishy!). I also like to mix tuna with green onion, celery, soy sauce and sriracha sauce so it tastes like sushi. But it's still pretty fishy this way.
  • Sherbear0123
    Sherbear0123 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am so with you, not a huge fish lover. But I have found tilapia (like a lot of others suggest) to be really good. I love orange roughy too, it is a white flaky fish that is mild. Flounder and cod are also pretty good. I have to admit one of my favorite way to eat fish is getting it from our local grocery store - tortilla crusted tilapia or potato crusted cod. It is really pretty good.
  • dweaver953
    dweaver953 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Another side-tip on the stronger-flavored fish (like salmon, tuna, etc.)...the skin of salmon is particularly fishy so if you don't like a strong fish flavor, removing the skin with a filet knife (or whatever other method you decide) can drastically reduce the amount of "fishiness". If you decide to cook with the skin on, you can always flake the fish away from the skin before eating. I personally like the skin even though it's a bit on the fatty side from time to time, but it's just a preference.

As far as tilapia goes, it's very mild...and can really absorb a variety of flavors you mingle it with. I usually go with a cajun rub as well (try to leave out the salt by making your own if you like), or just plain old garlic and lemon works great, too!

An additional recommendation...try swai fillets. A friend of mine from Maryland recently got me turned on to those. They're very similar to tilapia except for the physical appearance. They're still white in flesh, mild flavored on their own, and can absorb flavors pretty well. I prepare them the same way I do tilapia. Baked!

Happy fishing :)
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I'll add to the chorus. Tilapia is a mild tasting fish, easy to cook, and hard to do wrong.

If you like that, try cod or haddock. Especially fried, if you are willing to accept the extra calories that comes with.

Salmon is amazing, flavorful but not strong, and also very easy to cook. Just take a filet, salt and pepper it, add a little of your favorite seasoning and put it down in a pan. Leave it alone for a few minutes, flip it, leave it alone.

Tuna - also tends to be a mild flavor but certainly more noticeable than the others. I don't mean the stuff that comes in a can or pouch, but actual tuna steaks. I prefer tuna raw (sashimi) or maybe only seared on the outsides with some S&P leaving the center completely raw. Amazingly delicious.
  • AllAboutThatPace
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Goldfish! The snack that smiles back. Or one from the pet shop. It's your world. Do as you like.

I could eat a lot of gold fish that you are talking about!

• AllAboutThatPace
    Options
    Thanks again for all the input. Going to try Tilapia this weekend and then maybe try something else on the thread. :)
  • F1tnessCh1ck
    F1tnessCh1ck Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    This is probably not the answer you're looking for, but my gf HATES FISH! I got her to slowly start eating fish with breaded haddock. It's the only one she will eat, but it's still fish.

I'm a big fan of salmon on the bbq with a massive salad. It is kind of 'fishy' but the bbq taste just makes it taste THAT much better! Tilapia can also be bbq'd. I'm in the big white north, I'm bbq'ing in the middle of winter in the snow.. you can manage too ;)