Protein Powder

Options
So - I typically drink the Isopure Whey Protein Isolate after workouts. Can that be used as a 'meal replacement' shake if I wanted to have it for breakfast? or can someone suggest another type of brand as a meal replacement, but with high protein?

Also, do you think it is bad to have two of those protein shakes a day? is it better to have one and then get protein from food?

Thanks!

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If actual food is out of the question... sure, use it for whatever you will. Protein powders are simply a convenient way to hit your protein macro. I wouldn't say it's better or worse to use powders as opposed to foods, assuming you're getting proper nutrition.

I think I would reassess your foods you're choosing though if you need that much supplementation to hit your protein. Plenty of other great options for protein, chicken, fish,Greek yogurt, eggs, cheese, cottage cheese, etc. The first two I listed are probably one of the highest in protein for the calories.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    If actual food is out of the question... sure, use it for whatever you will. Protein powders are simply a convenient way to hit your protein macro. I wouldn't say it's better or worse to use powders as opposed to foods, assuming you're getting proper nutrition.

I think I would reassess your foods your choosing though if you need that much supplementation to hit your protein. Plenty of other great options for protein, chicken, fish,Greek yogurt, eggs, cheese, cottage cheese, etc. The first two I listed are probably one of the highest in protein for the calories.

The only downside I'd see is that eating less actual food and doing meal replacement for two meals could lead not feeling as full after a meal, which could lead to overeating. I have a protein powder shake for breakfast along with a spoonful of peanut butter. It works for me as I eat smaller meals with snacks.