Krav Maga????

Options
Thinking about starting Krav Maga - goal is to be able to protect myself a little better and get a good workout!!

Thoughts and experiences would be greatly appreciated!
Katie

Replies

• tweetyjf
    tweetyjf Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi I started krav maga a few months ago.
    I really look forward to each lesson

you should take a lesson to see if you like it, i know i do

good luck and go for it.
  • kingtermite
    kingtermite Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Ha! This very thing has been on my radar for a while too.....for the EXACT same reasons.

I'd probably already have tried a class if the main training place in my area didn't just close temporarily for renovations or something.
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Krav and have been doing it for over 2 years. I'm embarrassed to admit that I only started it to impress a guy I was dating. The relationship with the guy didn't last long, but I've continued my relationship with Krav LOL!! It's a great workout, and very empowering. I highly recommend it!
  • lvd82882
    lvd82882 Posts: 3
    Options
    Krav is great! An amazing workout, empowering self-defense, and super fun. I've been doing it for over a year and am training to become an instructor. You should definitely try it!
  • rwc4912
    rwc4912 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I hold a black belt in Kempo and have much respect for Krav-Maga.
    Solid art with great fundamentals.
    Advice for anyone going to try to study martial arts

1 - watch a couple of adult classes first to see what it is all about

2 - Never sign a contract before attending at least 6-8 weeks of classes

3 - see number 2, if they press on a contract.....run. Usually not a hallmark of Krav systems though.

4 - stick with it for at least a month, no better workout in my opinion
  • Skiffee
    Skiffee Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I did a couple months of Krav Maga and it was a lot of fun. It's an amazing work out (and on the very rare day we were learning something 'easy' that didn't completely wear us out, the instructor did a 10-15 minute INSANITY work out at the end of class)
  • kravmark2
    kravmark2 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I just got back on MFP a couple days ago and yes I love Krav Maga. Ive been doing it for several years and before that Ive done wing chun kung fu. Krav is great because a student can just come in and learn very quickly how to defend themselves without a lot of extra traditions or having to learn moves in another language. Not that that is bad but it depends what your learning objective is. Now I run 2 Krav Maga schools in the Saratoga NY area and have some affiliate schools in various parts of the US.

If you have any questions feel free to inbox me. Also Id love to add you to my friends list so you can help keep me motivated to lose 30 plus lbs

THanks
    Mark

www.kravinstructor.com
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    So glad I saw this thread. This is something I have been toying around with trying as well. It is between this and Crossfit, since I can't afford both.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I just started taking classes (only been to two) and it's a lot of fun and hard work but it's awesome! I had asked an MMA buddy of mine what I should take out of all the martial arts and he said Krav Maga! Good luck and have fun!
  • lovelylela415
    lovelylela415 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    i've been wanting to sign up and do this too! this thread is more inspiration. I want to do it for all the same reasons; to protect myself if needed and for a new amazing workout.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I want to do it as well, but it isn't available in my area. I do muay thai but i am keen to kearn krav maga!
  • kravmark2
    kravmark2 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    There's lots of ways to learn Krav Maga besides joining a school. My first exposure to Krav Maga after several years of martial arts was a 4 day intensive training. That was the first of many for me. We actually offer a two day course in Saratoga NY for only $399 that covers ground, hand to hand, multiple attackers and weapons. This is used as an introductory course for those looking to start training people in their area. Check out our sites if interested

Www.kravinstructor.com
    Www.youtube.com/kelevrakrav
    Www.facebook.com/kelevrakravmaga

Hoping to have videos to sell after this next training in September
  • griff7809
    griff7809 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    What does it cost? Is this good for kids?
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    So glad I saw this thread. This is something I have been toying around with trying as well. It is between this and Crossfit, since I can't afford both.

I'm trying to decide between the exact same things for fall/winter. :)