Is Going To The Gym 4-5 Times A Week Enough?

Options
Hi, all. I began my health and fitness journey four months ago, and since then, I have lost 30 pounds. I am only 5 pounds from my ultimate goal weight, so I do not want to give up now. For the past few months, I been going to the gym 6 days a week (3 days of cardio, 3 days of strength training) for an hour at a time. However, I am a college student who is taking a full course load, and with the end of the semester quickly approaching, I might have to reduce my workouts to 4 or 5 times per week until winter break. I hate to make excuses and sound so unmotivated, but it is so hard to find the time and the energy to drag myself to the gym when I have a million papers to write and exams to study for. Is working out 4 or 5 times a week enough? Like I said, it will just be for the next few weeks until the semester is over. Do you think it will set me back? Thank you.

Replies

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    It won't set you back. You'll be fine. :)
  • goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Sure... you can drop 1-2 workouts a week and still lose weight. Maintaining the calorie deficit is the biggest factor.

If you're going to keep the weight off long term, you have to find that sustainable balance between calories coming in and burning.

If you've lost 30 lbs in 4 months, that means 1.875 lbs per week (on average). Don't be surprised if the loss occurs more slowly as you approach your goal weight.
  • PugBug20
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Ideally, I would like to continue losing weight at a steady pace, but if I just maintain my weight from now until the end of the semester, I'll be happy. In past semesters, I lived on fast food and sugary energy drinks during finals week (no exaggeration, sadly), so just the fact that I'm eating healthy and going to the gym at all is a major improvement!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I know it feels hard to cut back. I feel guilty if I only get in 5 days instead of 6. But, just make sure you stick to your deficit on the days you're not working out or adjust your TDEE is you'll be moving less.
  • ScottDowell
    ScottDowell Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matters at all, the thing which matters is if you started going gym then continue it. Go daily. Don't escape a single day out of it.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I go 3-4 days a week and I still see progress. Weight loss is mostly diet.
  • Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    I go 3-4 days a week and I still see progress. Weight loss is mostly diet.

This. 90% diet.

Exercise just makes everything better. Kind of like taking a rough diamond and polishing it.