Can you eat too much fiber?

Options
brainzap
brainzap Posts: 145 Member
Is 80g too much?
Will excess fiber cause gastrointestinal discomfort?

Replies

• Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Is 80g too much?

I'm really not sure but you will clean out your system ... also gas is a side affect from allot of fiber ... so make sure you let it out lol
  • rivergirl5
    rivergirl5 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    What kind/type of fibre are you referring to? and yes, 80g sounds like way too much. One thing to keep in mind whenever you take a fibre supplement is to make sure you drink plenty of water. If you don't this could result in abdominal discomfort.
  • annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Best to get fiber from healthy foods like flax seed, hemp, fruits and veggies.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Holy cow, are you taking fiber supplements to get there? I have no idea how you could eat that much otherwise.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can reach a point where you actually decrease the absorption of certain vitamins and minerals as a result. 80g is very high.
  • onezeronine
    onezeronine Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Too much fibre can also actually block up your intestine and cause a bowel obstruction which is horrible. Why are you getting 80g a day? That's ridiculous.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Too much fiber makes me hurt :(
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Is 80g too much?

wow...I eat in the 30-40g range and that is a lot...80g is just crazy.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    average person should have 25-30g of fiber a day, according the typical wellness and health people and sites.

So 80 will be a laxative. I try and aim for 15, as 20 made me very sick the few times I did take it and it cleaned me RIGHT OUT. so 80 is pretty much double what a man's fiber intake should be (women typically require 25, men require about 38 on average.)
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Never mind the science. Just think of what's going to happen as a drastically increased amount of fibre has to pass through your system.

Needless to say, the day I thought it would be a good idea to have a bowl of all bran for the first time in years was not a pleasant one. And I found out that I don't like the taste of the stuff, either - it's wayyyy too sugary.

Gradually increasing fibre is better for you, and increasing water consumption, too.
  • CristyMusicLovr
    CristyMusicLovr Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You get chorro! lol (diarrhea)
  • bwilenius1
    bwilenius1 Posts: 7
    Options
    Moderation in everything is the key. :smile:
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Too much fibre can also actually block up your intestine and cause a bowel obstruction which is horrible. Why are you getting 80g a day? That's ridiculous.

This.
  • MellifluousGirl
    MellifluousGirl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about specific issues that may arise, but this is my experience: It depends on the type of fiber. It's very difficult to eat too much fiber from fruits, veggies, and legumes because you will get full first. However, if you ate too much of a fiber additive, it can cause extreme pain. 80 grams is definitely a lot, like twice what you should get in a day. I suggest you drink a lot of water to help it along, and help it break down. Also, a person who never eats fiber and then suddenly eats a ton of it will have incredible gastrointestinal pain, whereas a person who regularly consumes a lot of fresh produce would have minor suffering from a higher amount. Hope this helps.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    That is way too much.

Diarrhea and cramping if you are well hydrated. Constipation or Intestinal blockage if not. Lower absorption of vital nutrients, bloating and gas in either case.

• JCES10
    JCES10 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You get chorro! lol (diarrhea)

Chistosa ! :) esa esta buena !
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Is 80g too much?

So I've got a story for you. Went camping with a couple buddies up in Yosemite. Our food for a week consisted of 2# of meat per person per day, 1L of liquor per day (wasn't enough), and 1.5 large watermelons per day. We also had a few other things like chips and veg and a dozen eggs.

That much watermelon between three guys was enough to keep us more than regular. MORE THAN.
  • sunnyflower1177
    Options
    why are you taking in so much fiber? too much of a good thing can turn out to be a bad thing.....
  • highmaintnance
    highmaintnance Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    What kind/type of fibre are you referring to? and yes, 80g sounds like way too much. One thing to keep in mind whenever you take a fibre supplement is to make sure you drink plenty of water. If you don't this could result in abdominal discomfort.

I just read an article about this. For every gram you intake you should drink a certain amount of water or it strains your digestive system. I'm not sure of the amounts but I'm sure you can find it. I read it in the Fitness magazine a couple months ago.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I average 65g/day, roughly. I've had days over 100g and days under 40g, and haven't had any problems mentioned here.