Getting a bit obsessed with exercise. Where do I find the right balance?

Options
1235»

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    What are your fitness goals?

To be in shape and have a slimmer figure
    Sound reasonable to me! :)

So how come four hours on the treadmill?

I didn't plan on it, I just keep going a lot when I exercise

It must've occurred to you that were on there an awfully long time. The idea of stopping had to pop into your head, right?

I'm assuming a Yes there, lol. :)

So, why keep going. You didn't "just" keep going. You decided not to stop.

How come?

I was home alone for a while, and I like exercising alone so it was a good oopportunity
    OK. I give up.

You should talk to a therapist who can help you get to the bottom of it.

Good luck!

+1
  • joanna_82
    joanna_82 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Diet and exercise is all about balance. Exercise should be something that you enjoy and that fits into your life. If you like running, why not join a running club? Running outside is so much nicer and its sociable too.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    You're undereating (in terms of caloric and nutritional inake), admittedly obsessive, but claim you don't have a disorder ... yet you'd rather not tell anyone you really know. All of those combined equal disordered thinking.

As for what your age has to do with it ... a lot. Maturity levels matter ... both physical and mental.

Both of these are something I'm working on trying to do better. I don't know what I'm doing, still in the learning process of being healthy. There's no one I know in person to talk to about fitness goals, so I'm trying out this site

Everything you're posting indicates disordered thinking and action. Your obsessive exercise, your very low net caloric intake, your statements that you don't want others to know ... all of those say disorder. Even the title of this thread shows warning signs.

You can keep saying you don't need professional help but your actions say otherwise. You can address it now or wait until it does damage and address it then ... your choice.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    OK are you experiencing over training or burnout? Also nothing wrong with being a exercise addict as long as you keep it below the two bold terms.

Are you skipping work to go exercise? Skipping other obligations to exercise?

I take days off work to lift :blush:
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    OP you do know you do not have to exercise to lose weight right. I kind of think you don't.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'd rather not tell anyone, that's why I posted it here. But no I don't have any kind of disorder

you posted the question because you say you're getting obsessed but now you're saying you dont have a problem?
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

thanks for trying to help but I was just looking for tips, I don't need a therapist

Yes honey, you do.

I came back to see what was going on in this thread, especially since you sent me a friend request. Denial is very much a huge part of addiction, and regardless of your willingness to accept it, you seem to have some addiction problems that need to be sorted out.

I will not put someone on my friends list who is unwilling to seek help, and also because you stated that your diary is accurate for what you have logged. Very low calorie diets in conjunction with extended workouts are dangerous and dumb. Please seek professional medical help before you do serious damage to your mind and your body.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

thanks for trying to help but I was just looking for tips, I don't need a therapist

Yes honey, you do.

I came back to see what was going on in this thread, especially since you sent me a friend request. Denial is very much a huge part of addiction, and regardless of your willingness to accept it, you seem to have some addiction problems that need to be sorted out.

I will not put someone on my friends list who is unwilling to seek help, and also because you stated that your diary is accurate for what you have logged. Very low calorie diets in conjunction with extended workouts are dangerous and dumb. Please seek professional medical help before you do serious damage to your mind and your body.

Like they say if you got to ask sometimes you know there is a issue.

• acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I viewed your diary and I'm wondering if you really don't eat much, or you're trying to appear like you don't eat much.

For example, one day you went to Denny's for dinner it looks like. You're logging states you had 1/4 of a serving of hashbrowns, <1 tbsp of syrup, half of a pancake, 1/4 of an egg, 3/4 of a slice of ham, 1/2 slice of garlic bread, 1/5 of a sausage link and 1 oz of OJ.

To eat those specific amounts takes incredible self control, calculation and portioning. If you're really only eating that, you need to seek medical help. As an 18 year old woman you're still doing some growing and you need proper nutrition. If you only put that in to balance your daily intake, then you need to log properly.

You said you eat as healthy as you know how to - instead of exercising that much, why not see a nutritionist since 80% approx of this is about diet. Also, if you're a student how do you have time to exercise this much? When I was a student, I was constantly in class, studying, involved in activities and so on.

Further, is it maybe just that you had a bad day and felt you need to go on the treadmill for 4 hours? Is this honestly a recurring event, or was it one day where you had a bad day before and felt it was necessary to do this?

Also - as someone asked you earlier why 4 hours? Your response was I was home alone for a few hours . . . . If you can't exercise when other people are there you're hiding something. I have no issues in telling people I know when I'm going to the gym, in fact I often am proud that I'm going to the gym. If you just had a few hours to kill, why not just say that? To me, that sounds like you're embarrassed or those you live with have already noticed it's become an issue. I don't need to be alone to exercise, I don't have to hide where I'm going or what I'm doing. I think you need to re-visit your thinking: you need to talk to someone who can counsel you and who can help you through this. If you don't already have a body dysmorphic disorder you're well on your way to one. And if this is just for validation, then I'm sorry you're at the point in your life where you need to justify what you're doing from other people.

Best of Luck