Binge eating. Shall I try this method to overcome it?

Options
2»

Replies

• elenanxs
    elenanxs Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you all again for your responses, it means the world to me! <3
  • FittyKitty21
    Options
    I really struggle with binge eating too. It all started when I was a freshman in college. I gained 20 pounds freshman year and 30 pounds sophomore year. I lost 30 of it over the summer and gained about 10 back from binging again this semester. I feel so out of control with my eating. You're def not alone, it is really a daily struggle and its embarassing to open up to friends about because they don't quite understand the struggle. Just know that you're not alone and we'll get through this! message me any time if you need any support because i know how tough it is!
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    you are treating the symptom not the problem.
    you will never overcome this issue unless you understand why you are binging in the first place.
    you are binging for a perfectly good reason. you need to find that out.

try reading Geneen Roth's Breaking free from emotional/compulsive eating. she writes fantastic on the subject. its a quick short read but its packed with good stuff I'm sure you will relate to.

do you have a school counselor you can speak with? you should get talking with someone you trust

• beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    c4rtr4t wrote: »
    maybe the problem isn't your binge eating but something mental/emotional that is making you binge eat. have you thought about therapy? they can really be helpful in figuring out what issues you have and working on your confidence and image. then i think once that falls into place, you will have better control of your binges.
    I agree with this ^^^ 100%...I was told once that I needed to "Face My stuff, and NOT stuff my face"...I already knew that stress and arguments within the home, along with a lot of thoughts about the emotional and sexual abuse as a child triggered my secret binges...I was bad...had it down to a science, even with juggling the check book, inserting fake expenses, having the cashier ring up the "house food", then ring up my stash separately, etc...so that my husband didn't know....I went to a place called "The Caron Foundation" in Wernersville, PA. Spent a week there doing experiential group therapy.... sadly it worked for about a year, then I allowed some unforeseen "stuff" be my "reason" to binge again. I was 35 yrs old at the time. I finally reached bottom in September of 2012, @ 304 lbs. I found MFP in January of 2013. and have lost more than my ticker says. I am currently @ 174. But it is still a struggle most days, not to let the "stuff" creep back in...I have recognized the fact that unlike many people I will have to log my food the rest of my life in order to stay on track. Just like an alcoholic really needs to stay out of bars...I feel that, for me anyway, it truly is a sickness, but as long as I stay on top of it, log my food, and keep myself accountable, I can keep it in remission...I also believe that sugar in the form of processed foods is also a trigger...the less of those things I eat, the better my day goes, and when I don't eat any of that stuff, but stick with raw and frozen fruits, veggies, fish, poultry, etc..I literally have no cravings at all and seem to be able to handle the day to day stress without caving....I am not looking for any debate, it's just been my personal experience and I wanted to share...Good luck to you!

thank you for sharing your struggles.
    i think the mental side of weight struggles is not discussed enough on these forums and "in real life" and in my opinion is the real source of people's weight struggles binging or not. but its not tangible, you can't weigh, measure and track mental progress so its easier to focus on the food plan. but the food "plan" will come once your mental part is in order.
    i whole heartedly believe that about anyone who struggles with weight. not just your annual holiday weight gain or freshman 15. but real overweight-weight.