Protein (&Shakes)

Options
For some reason, I can't seem to get enough protein in my diet so I've been making the short fall up with shakes.

I've only tried two so far and they're not to good in the taste department.

Does anyone have any recommendations for commercially available protein shakes that don't taste terrible?

Thanks

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I'm sure most people would recommend the Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Series. Double chocolate has a resemblance of Nesquik milkshakes, it's really good stuff.

It might be a little bit more expensive than you'd like to pay for, but it's definitely worth the buy.
  • McBoffin
    McBoffin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that. One of the ones I'm using is the ON Vanilla Casein - it's not that nice and a health shop own brand chocolate.

I've tried the ON complete protein chocolate one and that was quite nice.

I'll give the double chocolate whey a go!

(Has anyone tried the cookies and cream one?)
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I'm sure most people would recommend the Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Series. Double chocolate has a resemblance of Nesquik milkshakes, it's really good stuff.

It might be a little bit more expensive than you'd like to pay for, but it's definitely worth the buy.

I've never had any of the Optimum Nutrition Whey that I've enjoyed. They all taste disgusting to me, but that's just me I guess. I rarely ever have to use protein powder because I prefer to get my protein through food, but the only powder I really do enjoy is Isopure Dutch Chocolate. It's delicious. Make sure you get a deal though. No matter what protein powder you want to buy, it's almost a guarantee that you'll find the best deal at Allstarhealth.com
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You might try protein bars too. Pure Protein bars taste great and depending on which flavor you buy, they can have as much as 21 grams of protein at only 180 to 200 calories. They are roughly a dollar each if you buy them 6 or 12 to a box.

Some people like Quest bars too, but they are quite a bit more expensive and to me, don't taste quite as good.
  • McBoffin
    Options
    Thanks for that. I'll do a bit of shopping around. The all star health site looks promising. I'm assuming they'll ship to England.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    in the uk, i use superdrug and asda own brands.
    tesco has a huge range of powders and pre- mixed too.the larger supermarkets have dozens to choose from.
    also try holland& barrett.
  • momo_iro
    momo_iro Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Can you get Body&Fit brand? I take their soy protein shakes and I find the taste quite alright :)
  • Silentfool
    Silentfool Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I use my protein at the moment. Tried various chocolate flavours but all yuk. The best flavour for me has been strawberry shortcake.
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    If you are in the UK precision (from Holland and barratt) cookies and cream is lovely.
  • pinkiezoom
    Options
    McBoffin wrote: »
    Thanks for that. One of the ones I'm using is the ON Vanilla Casein - it's not that nice and a health shop own brand chocolate.

I've tried the ON complete protein chocolate one and that was quite nice.

I'll give the double chocolate whey a go!

(Has anyone tried the cookies and cream one?)

I love the cookies and cream one :)

• pinkiezoom
    Options
    Oh you can get a little pouch of the cookies and cream to try first too, think it is a couple of quid, H&B often have half price deals on too. ;)
  • McBoffin
    Options
    I've got the precision chocolate. It's bearabe but not as nice as the ON one I tried.

I haven't seen the cookies and cream one in my local shop (there are 2 where I live).
  • McBoffin
    Options
    cw106 wrote: »
    in the uk, i use superdrug and asda own brands.
    tesco has a huge range of powders and pre- mixed too.the larger supermarkets have dozens to choose from.
    also try holland& barrett.

I didn't even know Asda or superdrug did their own brands. The selection in Boots is pretty poor.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    A rotate a couple of varieties:

MusclePharm Combat Powder - mixes better with just water compared to other proteins and has a creamier texture. I've had chocolate, chocolate peanut butter, chocolate mint, banana, and cookies and cream; not a bad flavor yet.

ON Gold Standard - mixes very easily with water, but can be a bit runny for my palate with just water. Any of the chocolate-based flavors, graham cracker, and cinnamon roll are great tasting.

If you are looking to try a few kinds go to www.bodybuilding.com. They have trial sizes in a huge variety of brands/flavors. That way you can try a few different ones without the commitment to 2-5 lbs of it.
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If you're in the uk, I get the unflavoured Impact whey from myprotein.com, it has literally no flavour.
    it's about £12 a kilo and I just mix it up with nesquik, coffee for an iced coffee thing, with fruit for smoothies and it blends nicely into soups.

They do loads of flavours, but i'm always worried about them tasting too sugary, and I like not being restricted by kilos and kilos of the same flavour.
  • dhines1029
    dhines1029 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I drink Premier protein. It has 30g of protein and only 1g of sugar in a 11oz carton. Taste great!!!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I use the Cellucor protein powders. They taste very good even if you just mix with water- I recommend the mint chocolate chip (that's the one I'm using now) or the Red Velvet
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    Atkins Advantage Milk Chocolate and the Strawberry one and even the french vanilla.....i put them into my Ninja food blender and add frozen fruit to them....you could even put protein packed peanutbutter in the chocolate one... they are super handy and already mixed and ready to go.....
  • larosaplaza
    larosaplaza Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What I enjoy for breakfast in the morning is white chocolate peanut spread (2 tbsp) which has 14g of protein and I spread it on plain rice cakes. For me....yummy. Good protein boost in the morning
  • haliebest
    haliebest Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Cellucor Chocolate Raspberry Truffle is the best protein I've ever tasted. Tastes great with just water, but mixing with Almond Milk makes it very creamy. Haven't tried any other Cellucor flavors yet, but I've heard good things.