Bigger Meals or More Snacks?

I've noticed that since I started MFP I have begun a trend of eating smaller breakfast, lunches, and dinners, and saving many of my calories for snacking. I think it's purely psychological--with more snacks, I basically feel like I am eating all day, and that way I don't feel hungry.

Anyway...it made me curious...do you prefer having bigger meals and no/few snacks, or smaller meals and snack throughout the day? To each their own, this is purely out of curiosity.

Replies

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    I am very much in the "What works best for you" category, but I find I am much more satisfied with substantial meals and fewer snacks.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    I prefer larger meals. I find if I eat small meals, I'm never full. I generally wake up at 6 am and drink my coffee, then I don't eat until about noon. Then, I eat dinner at 5 pm and my largest meal is typically my evening snack at around 9-10pm when the kids are asleep .
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Some days, I do 2-3 meals. Other days, I do 5-6. It depends on the day.

Whatever works for you is best! :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    For me it depends too. Often I'll have a large meal then for some reason I'll be hungry 3 hours later again and it totally sucks!
  • Edwardshar
    Edwardshar Posts: 271 Member
    Do what works for you. IN = OUT just watch your calories and macros. :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    My breakfast tends to be a little smaller. I eat lunch and dinner- both medium sized I guess. I generally have enough calories for 1 or 2 snacks- usually one in the afternoon and one in the evening.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    One big meal with everything that my belly desires
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    I prefer to eat every 3 hours.
  • Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    I love to graze. I eat 6x a day. Small, snacky meals. I find on occasions with a larger meal - such as family functions - I still eat less than I used to. I feel satisfied more quickly.
  • Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Probably better to eat less more often, keeps your blood sugar levels more constant.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Probably better to eat less more often, keeps your blood sugar levels more constant.

Right, but unless you have blood sugar issues, it's not a big deal. Meal timing and frequency is purely personal preference to those who do not suffer from medical conditions. Do what makes you feel best.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    I prefer three meals and three snacks. My snacks are significantly lower in cals than the meals. Sometimes they veer closer in size but that's rare.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    I eat 3 medium meals and 3 smaller snacks. The snacks are more like little mini-meals though. I'm always starving in the morning so breakfast is generally my largest meal of the day and that's after a pre-workout protein shake. :D

Then I'm usually starving again right before lunchtime. Luckily after that, my appetite slows down and by the time dinner rolls around I'm not that hungry and could usually care less about eating after dinner but usually have something small to round out my macros and calories for the day.

I think everyone is different and should do what works for them. Something that will be sustainable for a lifetime really.
  • Tea_Mistress
    Tea_Mistress Posts: 105 Member
    I just stick to 3 meals a day :)