Hello from a Kansas NEWBIE!!

Options
2»

Replies

• buckinghnt
    buckinghnt Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    @MoHousdon - I live in Lawrence, KS - home to the KU Jayhawks! Nice to meet you and glad to see so many from the midwest!
  • buckinghnt
    Options
    @3Iseif - Kansas City barbecue is the BEST in the nation! There are so many amazing BBQ places to visit. When President Obama was here this summer he visited at least one of them. Fantastic! Nice to meet you!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    buckinghnt wrote: »
    Hey there @midwesterner85 - Not a whole lot to see in KS but a lot of pretty great people here! Nice to meet you!

I disagree. Like I said, I hiked in a bison pasture under a full moon. As recently as Aug., I was hiking near where you live in Lawrence (I can't remember the name, but it is a Army Corps of Engineers Flood Control Reservoir).
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    @MoHousdon - I live in Lawrence, KS - home to the KU Jayhawks! Nice to meet you and glad to see so many from the midwest!

I'm VERY familiar with Lawrence as it is home to my favorite basketball team. We actually got to visit there about 3 years ago for my daughter's 10th birthday. Instead of having a birthday party, she chose to attend the KU/ISU basketball game. It was a wonderful experience and I hope we'll get to visit again soon. ROCK CHALK!

• buckinghnt
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »

I'm VERY familiar with Lawrence as it is home to my favorite basketball team. We actually got to visit there about 3 years ago for my daughter's 10th birthday. Instead of having a birthday party, she chose to attend the KU/ISU basketball game. It was a wonderful experience and I hope we'll get to visit again soon. ROCK CHALK!

Yes MoHousdon - ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK! I love this town! :)
  • buckinghnt
    Options
    Hey there @midwesterner85 - Not a whole lot to see in KS but a lot of pretty great people here! Nice to meet you!

I disagree. Like I said, I hiked in a bison pasture under a full moon. As recently as Aug., I was hiking near where you live in Lawrence (I can't remember the name, but it is a Army Corps of Engineers Flood Control Reservoir).

There's a buffalo pasture near here? I had no idea... I'm an amateur photographer and would love to go take pictures of them! I really just meant that there's not a whole lot but prairies, flat lands and small little farm towns across most of the state. Lawrence is GREAT! It's where I grew up and where I came back to... It's hard to stay away! And of course with the KU Jayhawks here, well, it doesn't get much better than that! :)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

There's a buffalo pasture near here? I had no idea... I'm an amateur photographer and would love to go take pictures of them! I really just meant that there's not a whole lot but prairies, flat lands and small little farm towns across most of the state. Lawrence is GREAT! It's where I grew up and where I came back to... It's hard to stay away! And of course with the KU Jayhawks here, well, it doesn't get much better than that! :)

Yes, they have wild bison in a national park unit near Strong City: http://www.nps.gov/tapr/index.htm
  • bs240z
    bs240z Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    i am originally from KS. born in Topeka and grew up in Wichita. feel free to add me. Rock Chalk!
  • buckinghnt
    Options

Yes, they have wild bison in a national park unit near Strong City: http://www.nps.gov/tapr/index.htm

Wow!! I'm not sure where Strong City is, but if it's within an hour or two I'm gonna have to find it and go out there to get some photos. That's so cool! Thanks for mentioning that!
  • JessicaZen
    JessicaZen Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hey girl, sounds like you been through a world of crap, but on the plus side sounds like you're taking your life back, feel free to add me. Welcome to MFP
  • rockchalk956
    rockchalk956 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm in the Overland Park area. Welcome! There definitely seems to be a lack of Kansans on here! Or they're just quiet. If you're close to OP or Olathe, you should definitely check out the Indian Trails bike/walking trails. They're beautiful and a great workout!
  • Stacjsteinert5
    Stacjsteinert5 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I am a fellow Kansan as well! Welcome, and shoot me a friend request!
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh fellow Lawrence people! I'm not native to Kansas -- I've only been here 11 years, and in Lawrence the past four -- but it's great. :D