Not too intense workout for my wife?

Options
My wife wants to start doing a workout that's not too intense like Insanity is. She wants to work on her mid section and her upper body without getting big manly arms. She liked the Hip Hop Abs when she saw it on tv. Are there any others?

Thanks

Replies

• mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    I think that almost any cardio program would work like hip hop abs. I think those hip hop ab people do more than just cardio though, to look like that. But she should start wherever she wants to start, and remember that having a calorie deficit is what is most important.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything by Jillian Michaels. She uses low weight high rep. Most of her DVDs you can find on YouTube. If you want something to plug into the DVD you can pick up her more popular ones at pretty much any big box store for under $10.

30 Day Shred
    Ripped in 30
    Yoga Meltdown
    Kickbox Fast Fix
    6 Week 6 Pack

It's a huge list. These are some of her more popular titles.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    My wife wants to start doing a workout that's not too intense like Insanity is. She wants to work on her mid section and her upper body without getting big manly arms. She liked the Hip Hop Abs when she saw it on tv. Are there any others?

Thanks

Want to give you fair warning that people are going to jump down your throat about "big manly arms" so I just thought I'd put it nicely: you can mention to your wife that her arms won't get big because she's female and doesn't have loads of testosterone and it sounds like she's not lifting super heavy so just so she knows- that should not be a concern of hers because its honestly not going to happen. :)

A less intense workout many women see success with is Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. In general a lot of women like her videos. They are not as intense as P90X or Insanity and there are modified versions of most movements. And if Jillian seems too "manly" to her tell her not to worry- the woman's career is fitness, it won't just accidentally happen to your wife!

Hope this helps!
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    They gave very good information for your wife.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Don't do drugs.

That's my advice.

Bulky arms avoided.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

Thanks

Want to give you fair warning that people are going to jump down your throat about "big manly arms" so I just thought I'd put it nicely: you can mention to your wife that her arms won't get big because she's female and doesn't have loads of testosterone and it sounds like she's not lifting super heavy so just so she knows- that should not be a concern of hers because its honestly not going to happen. :)

A less intense workout many women see success with is Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. In general a lot of women like her videos. They are not as intense as P90X or Insanity and there are modified versions of most movements. And if Jillian seems too "manly" to her tell her not to worry- the woman's career is fitness, it won't just accidentally happen to your wife!

Hope this helps!

Nicely done Squirrel!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    sex?

you're welcome
  • mltdown
    mltdown Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    sex?

you're welcome

^^^ this I mean you can always include push ups and sit ups and stuff ;)
  • tlynnest
    tlynnest Posts: 112
    Options
    sex?

you're welcome

Lol! :blushing:
  • zmeplay
    zmeplay Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    sex?

you're welcome

Did you talk to my husband? He said the same thing last night hahaha (nice try)
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Chalean Extreme aka CLX. Strong enough for men, made for women.
  • brentbarrie
    brentbarrie Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    sex?

you're welcome

Best idea yet!

Thanks everyone for the input, it's much appreciated.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    A lot of ladies (and men) love, & get good results, w/Zumba.
  • chefwrx
    chefwrx Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    How about lifting weights? It's a LOT more fun than doing mindless calisthenics for hours on end, and the results are usually far more compelling.
  • KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Zumba, Zumba, Zumba. I can't do Insanity either and Zumba is both fun and keeps me off the floor. You can go at your own intensity too.
  • sugaree1202
    sugaree1202 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Chalean Extreme aka CLX. Strong enough for men, made for women.

^ agreed - like a previous poster said, women won't get bulky lifting heavier weights because we don't have testosterone in the same levels as guys do. Chalene's workouts are also really fun and motivating. TurboFire (another Chalene Johnson program) is also good for abs and upper body especially if she uses weighted gloves and is cardio based opposed to strength training but CLX still gives you a good workout. TF is pretty intense, but it's fun and over quickly. Swimming freestyle laps is also good for arms and abs.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I like Jillian, but Denise Austin has a Boot Camp video that is good and slightly less intense than 30DS or RI 30. Also Shelly McDonald's Caribbean workouts are good. You can get them cheap on Amazon.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    ... I actually followed a post on Pinterest and found some online workouts I've quite liked. http://www.fitsugar.com/fitness-video ... they have a bunch of 10-minute ones (longer ones too)
  • Jmchao
    Jmchao Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    There's Power 90, which is sort of like the precursor to P90X. I am 100 pounds over weight and can't run to the front door and back, but I can manage to get through these workouts. It's like P90X in that it varies each day strength, yoga, cardio. Workouts are about 30 minutes on average. Worth checking out!
  • Soxgirl97
    Soxgirl97 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have had a lot of success with Biggest Loser Power Walk and Power Sculpt. I was incredibly out of shape when I started and I couldn't handle Jillian's 30 Day Shred. I found the Biggest Loser DVDs to be challenging but not impossible for me as a beginner.