What 1 month of tracking faithfully has shown me...

Options
2»

Replies

• jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I admirer your honesty! I am completely fed up with my lack of staying on track and after my last day and half of being "run over" by my own wagon... I am looking for some accountability buddies to carry me through the end of the year and stay motivated to log everything everyday....regardless of what I do ....just to see where I need to fix things going into the new year.

Sending a friend request and willing to be friends with anyone else that is truly committed to making a positive change in 2015!!! :smile:
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I think you missed the most important thing we all realize when we start logging. That if we don't log we have no clue how much we overeat. When people ask me how to start, my answer is always just to start logging without making any changes.

If I can inspire/help you in any way, feel free to send a friend request.
  • lynder64
    lynder64 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    jrline wrote: »
    Getting used to logging is great now try to stay under your calories goal. The wine is fine as long as you remain under your calorie goal. Good Luck

29509743.png

You're doing everything right judging by your ticker!!! AWESOME job!!! I look forward to achieving that as well, and in time adding wine back into the picture. Until then, i need to refrain from drinking it as it makes me lose all control in the food department!
  • sjanejack
    Options
    Hello!!! I have had the same problem in the past, when I was logging. I haven't logged my food on mfp in several months now, but I have been watching what I have been eating and still lost some weight. So far I have lost 35 pounds according to myfitnesspal, haha. Add me as a friend if you want! I'm trying to be eating healthier as well and am going to try to eat less junk food and eat it less often, especially things like sweets and things with a lot of preservatives and synthetic sugars... good luck! It is very good how you can be so honest about how you've been doing with it!
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    lynder64 wrote: »
    that unless I stay within my allotted calorie range I will not lose weight :-(

Things I did right...I logged into MFP daily. I made healthy meal/snack choices. I tracked "everything" honestly. I got 10,000 plus steps in daily with my trusty FitBit.

Things I did wrong... I went over my allotted calorie range almost every day & I drank too much red wine too often *blush*

I'm excited to see what the next month of tracking faithfully, getting my 10,000 steps plus in per day AND staying within my calorie range each day (red wine off the menu until I get a handle on this) will bring to me.

I've been around the block a few times with regards to weight loss/re-gain and truth be told, it's just really getting old. I have a milestone birthday coming up in December and I'd like to be well on my way to a happier healthier "me"... fit & fabulous at 50 does sound good :-)

If you're reading this, and like me, you've got a lot of weight to lose OR you've already accomplished what I want, and there's that chance I can be inspired by your daily commitment, and lend support in return, let's be friends!

Thanks for reading... positive energy sent my way greatly appreciated :-)

At the beginning of the year i was in a place somewhat like you. Now i am more or less at goal. It didn't take long to lose the worst of the weight.

I could help you more if i could see what you were eating. Your diary is closed.

Here's a few things that i've done.

1. make clear and doable rules and strategies and stick to them like cement. If you can't stick with it, its a bad rule or your commitment is not serious enough. Note some of your strategies may need fine tuning but your rules should be clear with no room to tempt fate.

2. I didn't count calories most of the time but food logging and regular weighing and recording of my weight was and still is a key strategy in my tool kit. I think i counted calories for a few months but not at the beginning and only because i was trying out low carb and wanted to make sure my macros were all right.

3. know your triggers and make stiff rules and strong strategies to manage them. Mine is refined sugar not alcohol. I drink a glass of wine on nay day i feel like and i'm not in danger of "drinking too much red wine" but if i tempt fate by heading to a cafe for a piece of cake, or having ice-cream in the fridge i'm doomed. Been there tested this theory enough times to learn what i can and cannot do.

4. My strategy re sugar is for life. Whatever strategies you come up with, you need to think about how you are going to eat for the rest of your life. and it might be a question of what you are going to drink for the rest of your life. I'd suggest you really figure out a way to restrict your alcohol intake or the only option you leave yourself is to quit or be fat. I wouldn't like to have to quit wine but sugar wasn't that hard. Note i do have some safe and low risk situations when i can eat refined sugar foods. these are when someone else offers it to me and I'm not at home. And then my rule is only one serve on any one day. On the whole i've average no more than one serve of sweets a month. To compensate for the absence of sugar, i eat a lot of fruit and i love it. I also do not feel deprived. whatever strategy you come up, these last elements are important i think.

5. I'm am sure that there is one common elements between sweets and alcohol. When we are stressed or our mood is low we run to our food/drink choice of weakness. Do you know what i mean. So it becomes highly important to manage those stress and low moods days so that they don't become chronic and that problems get out of hand and then its all too late. all this year i've successfully dealt with numerous situations which in the past would sent me spiralling on an endless sugar binge. My personal solution has been to see a councillor. You need to find your own solutions to dealing with such problems that help you avoid running to the fridge for a glass of wine or the pub.

6. Always being organised with regard to having plenty of healthy good food on hand. I try to keep food ready cooked and only needing to be heated up or throw in a bowl so that i don't have to cook much when i'm tired and don't feel like it. Eating lots of fruit and veg all the time is important and making sure you enjoy your food all the time is also vital. If your food is boring, you will fail.
  • lynder64
    Options

[/quote]

At the beginning of the year i was in a place somewhat like you. Now i am more or less at goal. It didn't take long to lose the worst of the weight.

I could help you more if i could see what you were eating. Your diary is closed.

Here's a few things that i've done.

1. make clear and doable rules and strategies and stick to them like cement. If you can't stick with it, its a bad rule or your commitment is not serious enough. Note some of your strategies may need fine tuning but your rules should be clear with no room to tempt fate.

2. I didn't count calories most of the time but food logging and regular weighing and recording of my weight was and still is a key strategy in my tool kit. I think i counted calories for a few months but not at the beginning and only because i was trying out low carb and wanted to make sure my macros were all right.

3. know your triggers and make stiff rules and strong strategies to manage them. Mine is refined sugar not alcohol. I drink a glass of wine on nay day i feel like and i'm not in danger of "drinking too much red wine" but if i tempt fate by heading to a cafe for a piece of cake, or having ice-cream in the fridge i'm doomed. Been there tested this theory enough times to learn what i can and cannot do.

4. My strategy re sugar is for life. Whatever strategies you come up with, you need to think about how you are going to eat for the rest of your life. and it might be a question of what you are going to drink for the rest of your life. I'd suggest you really figure out a way to restrict your alcohol intake or the only option you leave yourself is to quit or be fat. I wouldn't like to have to quit wine but sugar wasn't that hard. Note i do have some safe and low risk situations when i can eat refined sugar foods. these are when someone else offers it to me and I'm not at home. And then my rule is only one serve on any one day. On the whole i've average no more than one serve of sweets a month. To compensate for the absence of sugar, i eat a lot of fruit and i love it. I also do not feel deprived. whatever strategy you come up, these last elements are important i think.

5. I'm am sure that there is one common elements between sweets and alcohol. When we are stressed or our mood is low we run to our food/drink choice of weakness. Do you know what i mean. So it becomes highly important to manage those stress and low moods days so that they don't become chronic and that problems get out of hand and then its all too late. all this year i've successfully dealt with numerous situations which in the past would sent me spiralling on an endless sugar binge. My personal solution has been to see a councillor. You need to find your own solutions to dealing with such problems that help you avoid running to the fridge for a glass of wine or the pub.

6. Always being organised with regard to having plenty of healthy good food on hand. I try to keep food ready cooked and only needing to be heated up or throw in a bowl so that i don't have to cook much when i'm tired and don't feel like it. Eating lots of fruit and veg all the time is important and making sure you enjoy your food all the time is also vital. If your food is boring, you will fail. [/quote]

Really great advice! Thanks SO much for sharing!!!
  • lynder64
    Options
    sjanejack wrote: »
    Hello!!! I have had the same problem in the past, when I was logging. I haven't logged my food on mfp in several months now, but I have been watching what I have been eating and still lost some weight. So far I have lost 35 pounds according to myfitnesspal, haha. Add me as a friend if you want! I'm trying to be eating healthier as well and am going to try to eat less junk food and eat it less often, especially things like sweets and things with a lot of preservatives and synthetic sugars... good luck! It is very good how you can be so honest about how you've been doing with it!

Good job on the weight loss thus far and making healthier choices along the way :-)

It's all about lifestyle change isn't it... I look forward to the day that I'm not having to track everyday too, but until then... I'll just keep on keeping on :-)

All the best to you on your journey!
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    It's amazing the lessons learned when we start to log, and log accurately. I learned the same as you. With changes and continued logging and exercising, I'm down 25 pounds. Sounds like you're on your way to a great beginning - knowledge is power.
  • lynder64
    Options
    It's amazing the lessons learned when we start to log, and log accurately. I learned the same as you. With changes and continued logging and exercising, I'm down 25 pounds. Sounds like you're on your way to a great beginning - knowledge is power.

Thanks, it was an eye opener for sure! Good work on your 25lb loss!!!