Doing well but feeling sad..

Options
Hi all,

Well, I've been steadfastly logging and exercising for nearly five weeks now and have lost somewhere in the region of 6 lbs. This means I have reached the upper end of my goal and have only another 2-4 lbs to go to reach the lower end.

I wasn't overweight before I started and even though I'm happy with what I've lost and do see a difference, I don't know ... I just feel a bit down. I feel like there is still a lot to be done and that I could easily spiral into an existence where the only thing I worry about is my weight. I've done that once and I don't want to go back there.

I think there's this thing in my brain that says if I lose weight that all my body issues and tendency for depressive feelings will disappear. I see thinness as almost sort of a mythical 'place' where suddenly I'll have my life together and everything will be awesome. I know how stupid this is, really I do!

I'm going on holiday next week and have decided to give myself a week off logging (I know that I may well gain back a pound or two but am confident I can at least maintain or lose before Christmas). I just so wanted to go away feeling good about myself...

Apologies for the depressive nature of this post. Just felt the need to vent. x

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    have you spoken to someone about these feelings? you need to love yourself regardless of your weight or when you lose it you'll be just as unhappy but smaller.

if you dont feel like the 10lbs has made as much difference as you'd hoped you might want to look into doing some recomp to lose some bodyfat.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Control is an illusion, look for happiness in external activities... sign up for a team sport... get out and have fun...maintaining a healthy lifestyle is more than stepping on an instrument that measures the force gravity is exerting on you at any given moment of the day.. talk to any physicist.. and they will tell you that gravity is NOT a constant...so neither is weight...take up yoga.. and meditation in order to get that "self speak" voice talking about all the positives rather than the negatives. of course an alternative is to feed your soul with volunteer work... take opportunities to see the world through the eyes of the less fortunate. Best of Luck!!! :D
  • MaxPower0102
    MaxPower0102 Posts: 2,654 Member
    Options
    As much as I need to set goals, I never rely on the 'goal' as a measure of my success or not. If you are always reaching for something to make you happy, you won't ever grasp it because once you get there, you will just set a new goal for yourself. Celebrate the 6 you lost. You do see a difference, and you probably feel better. Happy for today, strive for tomorrow.
  • LeenaJean
    LeenaJean Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    Control is an illusion, look for happiness in external activities... sign up for a team sport... get out and have fun...maintaining a healthy lifestyle is more than stepping on an instrument that measures the force gravity is exerting on you at any given moment of the day.. talk to any physicist.. and they will tell you that gravity is NOT a constant...so neither is weight...take up yoga.. and meditation in order to get that "self speak" voice talking about all the positives rather than the negatives. of course an alternative is to feed your soul with volunteer work... take opportunities to see the world through the eyes of the less fortunate. Best of Luck!!! :D

Best response ever, seriously.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I think there's this thing in my brain that says if I lose weight that all my body issues and tendency for depressive feelings will disappear. I see thinness as almost sort of a mythical 'place' where suddenly I'll have my life together and everything will be awesome. I know how stupid this is, really I do!

Yeah, that thing in your brain is not uncommon. But unfortunately it's a liar.

But hey, at least it's one less thing to worry about. :)
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    We all have that feeling at times. I had it last week bad. Well, this week is way better. So enjoy the roller coaster. The lows make the highs a little sweeter.
  • CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I get you sister, most people don't listen with the intent to understand, they only listen with the intent to reply.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    It's the struggle to reach your fitness level that changes you into an individual with a strong sense of self and healthy self esteem. So if you spend your years going after shortcuts and cheating yourself, the resulting effects on your character should be shotty. If you spend the time dedicated to hard work and overcoming anything, then the effects on your character will positively reflect these things and change you for the better.

so it does lead to a different you, but which 'new you' it is - depends on how you tackle this mountain.

HAVE FUN!
  • librarydebster
    librarydebster Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Succeeding at our weight goals gives us great satisfaction but make sure you are also doing other things in your life for fun and satisfaction. Very important to not just focus on weight. Call up a friend, join a meetup group, visit family. www.meetup.com is not a dating site, it's a variety of groups from hiking to crafts to dining, etc.