Weights - introducing more compound movements

Options
Hi guys,
I'm reviewing my current weight rountines and would like to start doing more compound movements, in particular including deadlifts which I don't do at the moment. My reason is that I am currently doing more isolation movements, and whilst they've really enhanced my shape, I would now like to work on increasing my general strength.
I currently do a lower body day comprising of machines, lunges and squats (which I have gone back to the start with in terms of weight whilst I work on squat form). I then do an upper body day focusing on shoulders, chest and bicep, then a second upper body day later in the week working on back and triceps. I also do a spin class each week and maybe another cardio day.
My question is how would I work deadlifts into my routine? If I really want to nail squats and deadlifts should I do them on seperate days, and maybe just include deadlifts in my back day? Or should I devote one or two days a week to compound lifts only?
I've had a look at stronglifts but I'm not sure it would suit me - it seems like quite a rigid program and I don't think there would be enough days in the week for me to also include cardio and isolation work with it?
Other info - I can only work out on weekdays (when my kids are at school!) - weekends are out of the question so they are currently rest days. Also my gym does not have a squat rack so am doing back squats with barbells.
Thanks x

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I do my compound lifts (Bench, Squat, OHP and Deadlifts) on separate days with isolation work to support the muscles that are involved with the compound lift.
  • Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Good work - nice to see someone busting their hump with the best exercises you can do in the gym.

I like the following split - focus is on heavy movements. Monday and Tuesday are "heavy days" eg: typically sets maxing out between 4-7 reps. Thursday and Friday are lighter days, typically 8-12 reps with the exception of the deadlifts which I keep 4-7.

Mon: Upper body

Bent Over Barbell Rows
    Pull Ups
    Bench Press
    Incline DB Press
    Shoulder Press
    Lateral Raises
    Lying Tricep Press
    Bicep Barbell Curl

Tue: Lower Body

Squats
    DB Split Squats
    Romanian Deadlifts
    Leg Curls
    Calf Raises
    Leg Raises
    Planks

Wed: rest

Thu:

Bent Over Barbell Rows
    Lat Pull Downs
    Bench Press
    Incline DB Flyes
    DB Shoulder Press
    Rear Shoulder Cable
    Tricep Pushdowns
    Preacher Bicep Curls

Fri:

Deadlifts
    Leg Press
    Romanian Deadlifts
    Leg Curls
    Calf Raises
    Cable Crunches
    Lying Leg Raises

Your mileage may vary, but I find this routine effective, efficient and ideal for a busy life, I get to the gym at 6 AM and am out before 7AM. Get up at 5 to get some nutrition into me so I don't "bonk" while working out.

Cheers
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    not sure what your current routine is ..but you can break it up into an upper/lower split, which is what I do ..

monday - (upper) barbell chest press, db overhead press, cable low row, weighted chins, lat pulldown
    tuesday - (lower) barbell squat, barbell split squat, db romanian deadlift, leg extensions
    wens - off/light cardio/core work
    thursday - (upper) db incline press, weighted pull ups, rows, barbell over head press
    friday - (lower) deadlift, front squat, leg curl, dumbbell lunge

this way I hit each of the compound movements four times a week and have some others built in as well….

I would definitely recommend ditching the machines...
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I do Ice Cream Fitness M/W/F evenings and cardio at lunch M-F with only a morning run with my dog on weekends. ICF is SL 5x5 plus some additional Iso movements. It takes me 40-55 minutes to complete the routines depending on how long I need to rest between each set. I'm not sure what you mean by too structured as it seems even your current routine is pretty structured. Be stronger than excuses and get 'r done!
  • dinosaurtrain
    dinosaurtrain Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would keep squats and deadlifts to separate days. If you are doing one lower body day a week perhaps try trading squats and deadlifts every other week. I usually lift three days a week upper - lower - upper splits with mostly compound lifts and I trade off deadlifts and squats any given week.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    stronglifts or starting strength.

no need for overly complicated or mega-packed workouts.

hit those. follow the program. profit!
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Check out strstd.com.

If your lifts are at least intermediate weight for you, I'd add in high-volume light deads (5x10) as assistance on squat day for a couple weeks until you feel good about your form, then do a split routine like 5/3/1 with 4 lifts: one squat day, one deadlift day, one bench day, one overhead press day.

If your lifts are below intermediate, I'd go to a more foundational full-body routine like Starting Strength or StrongLifts 5x5 to build up a base of strength.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    You need to find a gym with a squat rack or squat stand otherwise you're not getting much out of it and your form will likely be poor as well. Progressive overload is how you get stronger and at some point you won't be able to shoulder press it over your head and into position.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    punkeson wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I'm reviewing my current weight rountines and would like to start doing more compound movements, in particular including deadlifts which I don't do at the moment. My reason is that I am currently doing more isolation movements, and whilst they've really enhanced my shape, I would now like to work on increasing my general strength.
    I currently do a lower body day comprising of machines, lunges and squats (which I have gone back to the start with in terms of weight whilst I work on squat form). I then do an upper body day focusing on shoulders, chest and bicep, then a second upper body day later in the week working on back and triceps. I also do a spin class each week and maybe another cardio day.
    My question is how would I work deadlifts into my routine? If I really want to nail squats and deadlifts should I do them on seperate days, and maybe just include deadlifts in my back day? Or should I devote one or two days a week to compound lifts only?
    I've had a look at stronglifts but I'm not sure it would suit me - it seems like quite a rigid program and I don't think there would be enough days in the week for me to also include cardio and isolation work with it?
    Other info - I can only work out on weekdays (when my kids are at school!) - weekends are out of the question so they are currently rest days. Also my gym does not have a squat rack so am doing back squats with barbells.
    Thanks x

I'd reconsider stronglifts. You won't be doing isolation lifts with it, just day A and B with optional cardio whenever you feel the need. It's a great program, probably one of the best for beginner/intermediate. Isolation lifting isn't worth it unless you are looking for a bodybuilding physique.

• Sam_I_Am77
    Options

I'd reconsider stronglifts. You won't be doing isolation lifts with it, just day A and B with optional cardio whenever you feel the need. It's a great program, probably one of the best for beginner/intermediate. Isolation lifting isn't worth it unless you are looking for a bodybuilding physique.

Generally speaking I would agree, but some iso work could be prescribed for those with under-developed muscle groups that prohibit the compound movement from being properly executed. It all depends on the individual.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

Generally speaking I would agree, but some iso work could be prescribed for those with under-developed muscle groups that prohibit the compound movement from being properly executed. It all depends on the individual.

Weight should always be set to the highest level that can be done while maintaining proper form. If you're squatting and compromising form, lower the weight and the muscle groups will gain/balance in time.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Iso work increases the efficiency and speed of that though. No reason to avoid the isolation work as long as it is in addition to.

OP - don't recreate the bro wheel. Follow a newbie program and profit. SS, SL, whatever, pick one, and dtfp.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

Weight should always be set to the highest level that can be done while maintaining proper form. If you're squatting and compromising form, lower the weight and the muscle groups will gain/balance in time.

Not in all individuals. If that were true there wouldn't be corrective and stability based training blocks that precede strength development blocks. You're right in that many people can get under the bar but that's not true of everybody. For instance, it is very common for women to be quad dominant which is no good in the squat. It's actually part of why female athletes have a higher percentage of non-contact ACL tears then men. They must be able to engage the hamstrings on the eccentric and the glutes for the concentric. This issue is common on the MFP boards.