Work, toddler. Workouts

Options
So I'm. Program manager of 2 group homes- I work insane hours and then come home to take care of a toddler and by the time that is done I crash and go to bed- I haven't worked out in a couple months and I need to get back on track but I feel like I don't have enough energy... Any advice?

Replies

• moremuffins
    moremuffins Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I find that just playing with my toddler is a pretty good workout most days. There are plenty of "baby and me" workout plans that can be modified to work with toddlers if you want something more structured. It's also a great example for them when they see you trying to be more active, even better if they get to participate!
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I work and have 2 kids (ages 8 and 10, so easier than toddlers), 3 dogs, and my husband works in another city so I see him about one weekend a month. By the time I get home from work, feed the kids, take care of the furry beasts, tidy up the house, catch up on some laundry, etc., I'm just too worn out to exercise. Solution: I get up at 5:00 am to work out. Currently I'm doing 30 Day Shred...I'm sure I'll do other DVDs in the future. I also have a treadmill, and elliptical, dumbbells, and an exercise ball. Yes it sucks getting up that early, but I'm finding that it's kind of nice to get it out of the way first thing in the morning. Granted I'm in bed by 9:30, but it's not so bad, and I'm sleeping really well!
  • stacyjh1979
    stacyjh1979 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I leave for work at 7:15am and don't get home until 7-8pm so it's not real "crazy" hours but I'm gone a lot. My son is 2.5 and I've found that by the time we get home and eat, get a bath, chill a little or whatever there isn't much time left so I understand. I've forced myself to exercise anyway. 90% of the time I exercise at home in my living room after he goes to bed. I try to get him to bed by 9:30ish depending on what time we got home and then I normally do about 45 minutes and go to bed. Some people don't sleep well if they exercise at night but it helps me sleep very sound. Energy or not I make myself do it and I'm always glad I did once I get started.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I work and have 2 kids (ages 8 and 10, so easier than toddlers), 3 dogs, and my husband works in another city so I see him about one weekend a month. By the time I get home from work, feed the kids, take care of the furry beasts, tidy up the house, catch up on some laundry, etc., I'm just too worn out to exercise. Solution: I get up at 5:00 am to work out. Currently I'm doing 30 Day Shred...I'm sure I'll do other DVDs in the future. I also have a treadmill, and elliptical, dumbbells, and an exercise ball. Yes it sucks getting up that early, but I'm finding that it's kind of nice to get it out of the way first thing in the morning. Granted I'm in bed by 9:30, but it's not so bad, and I'm sleeping really well!

Yup! I work a lot of hours, am writing my thesis, have a 4yo, and my husband leaves the house at 5:45 am. I wake up at 4:30 and get my butt to the gym to lift at 5 when it opens. I have exactly 35 minutes to get my stuff done, so I fly through my session. On days he has to leave before the gym opens, I'll pop in a DVD or do boxing in my basement.
  • chelcwick
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! Guess I need to suck it up and get in a workout before going to bed, I know in the mornings I'll hit snooze and not get it in
  • AllAboutThatPace
    AllAboutThatPace Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I work your normal M-F 8-5 schedule and have a 4 year old and a 7 month old at home. By time I pick up both kids (currently they both stay at different day cars), it's pushing 6/6:15pm. By time we do dinner, baths, homework and all that other stuff, it's nearing about 8 or so.

During the week, my husband is not home, so I don't have the option to go to the gym. I try to fit in 20 minute walks on my break and then me and then kids have a "dance party" where I turn on loud music and we dance crazy for at least 20-30 minutes. It's better than not do anything and my kids love it. I got the idea from here actually, where someone was in a similar situation and they said they incorporate their kids into their workout routine.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    chelcwick wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice! Guess I need to suck it up and get in a workout before going to bed, I know in the mornings I'll hit snooze and not get it in

yes!

don't find the time OP....make the time.

your plan of attack sounds perfect and doing so will have you reaping the benefits in no time!

you can totally do this!
    go get it!

• seththealmighty
    seththealmighty Posts: 51 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My hours used to be the same. Wake up 4:30am for work; come home 6pm; cook meals and take care of infant; put infant in bed; pretend to be asleep so infant will sleep; end up falling asleep first.

When she got a little older (3), I bought a jumprope, some dumbbells, a pull up bar, and a bench. I let her stay up a little longer and get in a P90X or Insanity workout, and she'll join me and do it beside me, and I might happen to use her as a weight for some of the exercises xD

Now I have a lot more time though and I'm able to hit the gym and do what I like. :D:D
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    It really does get overwhelming sometimes! I am a single mom of 2, I work a full time day job, a part time evening and weekend job, and I have an etsy shop/facebook shop that is currently exploding with orders. I leave the house at 7:15 in the morning. When I work in the evening I am home around 8:30/9. I quickly get the kids ready for bed, I shower, then I start working on Etsy orders. I go to bed anywhere between 11-midnight and I do it all again the next day. I try to make it a point to get to the gym on the evenings I don't have to work. It can get really tough sometimes when all I want to do is go home and sleep. My diary can attest to the fact I haven't logged food in a while. I have worked out, but for some reason my ap syncs to facebook and not to MFP (need to figure that one out!).
    Anyway, my approach is always changing. Sometimes I have to take a step back and reevaluate how to reach my goals. Then I get back on track. There is never one clear cut answer.
  • ourtruelovewillneverdie
    Options
    Luckie519 wrote: »
    then me and then kids have a "dance party" where I turn on loud music and we dance crazy for at least 20-30 minutes. It's better than not do anything and my kids love it. I got the idea from here actually, where someone was in a similar situation and they said they incorporate their kids into their workout routine.

We do dance parties too or we do the kids Just Dance on the Wii. It's actually quite funny. I buy the edited CDs of popular music hits or artists that I know I don't have to edit and turn the music up.

I have 4 kids in school and a 2 year old who isn't so if I'm working out I try to incorporate him. Im currently doing the 30 day shred so when I'm using hand weights I just give him two remotes and he feels like he is working hard.