"Rest Day"

Options
Quick question for all of you doing ICF5x5, SL5x5, SS or other such structured workout programs:

When the program prescribes a rest day (3 days a week, 4 rest days, for example), do you take the day off or do you do some active rest (yoga, light cardio)?

I'm just starting out, so I know it will get more difficult as I go on and I'll probably need to take REAL rest days, but currently my rest days are boring and I feel that I'm not doing enough.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Old_Man_McGucket
    Old_Man_McGucket Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I do cardio and occasionally throw in an arm day.
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Light cardio for 40 min.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I rest. But my program is 6 days with 1 rest day, with that day being my day to go visit my grandparents. But there is no reason why you can't do yoga, or some bodyweight exercises, or go for a 20-40 minute walk to stay active on the rest day.

Just don't over do it to where you'll burn yourself out and end up hating exercise.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I either run, do yoga, or swim. I do take one full rest day a week though.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I rest.
  • PAtinCO
    PAtinCO Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Even on my rest days I still go for a 3-5 mile walk. Just no high impact and/or high heart rate stuff.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't know of any program that prescribes 4 actual rest days...

When you're doing programs like that you want to make sure you have a day between lifting, but that's it...you can do other stuff...you just need to let your muscles recover from the lifts.

I do a full body program 3x weekly and run 3x weekly and cycle 3x weekly...I only take one rest day...and even then I'm generally active...taking the dog for a walk or yoga or whatever. I just give myself a break from rigorous activity.
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

When you're doing programs like that you want to make sure you have a day between lifting, but that's it...you can do other stuff...you just need to let your muscles recover from the lifts.

I do a full body program 3x weekly and run 3x weekly and cycle 3x weekly...I only take one rest day...and even then I'm generally active...taking the dog for a walk or yoga or whatever. I just give myself a break from rigorous activity.

Oh thank god. I was going to go crazy otherwise. I'll go back to my regularly scheduled program then, and just add 3 days of ICF.
  • kmorgan221
    kmorgan221 Posts: 206 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Well the Stronglifts 5x5 program is a 3-day program. Math tells me there would be 4 rest days.

The program does actually say to "Rest" on the rest days. But his focus is strictly on getting stronger, and he has no interest in developing other aspects of fitness.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    kmorgan221 wrote: »
    Well the Stronglifts 5x5 program is a 3-day program. Math tells me there would be 4 rest days.

The program does actually say to "Rest" on the rest days. But his focus is strictly on getting stronger, and he has no interest in developing other aspects of fitness.

Yup. And this is how I did it. 3 workouts, 4 rest.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    you can do light cardio everyday with no adverse effects

29509743.png
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I do ICF so I do a half hour on an elliptical, a run, or a yoga/pilates class, I take 1-2 rest days a week when I do nothing besides maybe go for a walk outside
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options

Oh thank god. I was going to go crazy otherwise. I'll go back to my regularly scheduled program then, and just add 3 days of ICF.

Yep. I run 5 days a week Cycle 3 days a week, do a gym session once a week and my rest day is a Monday when I swim.

Rest doesn't mean sit on sofa with feet up.

Even if you are in the gym doing weights no reason why you can't alternate muscle groups to rest one group while working another
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    You can do some cardio on other days but you should try and find a day or two of nothing other than stretching and mobility work. You'll have to judge how you're recovering. Remember your body can only do so much and there is no such thing as giving 110%, at a certain point if you want to add something in then something must come out.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    On rest days I rest. No extra cardio, although if something is feeling tight I'll do some extra stretching
  • charlesmauch
    charlesmauch Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I lift 3x a week as well.

On off days, I found that light cardio (45 minutes of brisk walking or jogging) actually helps me recover a bit more quickly. If you overdo it, you'll notice the difference in your performance on the next lift day or the one after.

SAM_I_Am77's suggestion of a day or two dedicated to mobility work and stretching isn't a bad idea. You mentioned your just starting out, so you'll probably need to work on mobility for a while in order to hit proper (safe) squat depth.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    on rest days, I usually stalk my enemies... and then scheme.
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    on rest days, I usually stalk my enemies... and then scheme.

Awesome.
  • ColoradoBringItOn
    ColoradoBringItOn Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I do 3 days of kickboxing and 3 days of resistance strength training and take Sundays off completely. Works like a charm.