Older First-Time Dad

Options
YourKnight
YourKnight Posts: 9 Member
edited November 2014 in Introduce Yourself
Great to meet you! As an older first-time dad of a little girl who just started kindergarten, I feel like I need to get myself in shape so I can be there for my family for decades to come. I've joined MyFitnessPal fairly recently so my ticker doesn't reflect the 30 pounds I had already lost in the past 6 months before joining. I've still got about 25 more pounds go go.

As I've mentioned, I'm a bit older than the average dad out there. I've always tended to look younger than my age, but a less than optimal diet and exercise habits since our daughter was born 6 years ago has taken its toll. I want to be there for my wife and young daughter, and that doesn't just mean alive. It means a healthy, active participant in their lives.

Add me as a friend if you want so we can support each other.

Replies

• DvrDawg
    DvrDawg Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hello - feel free to add me if you like. I am 49 and have a 9 year old boy. Part of the reason I am on here is so I can keep up with him. I am trying to lose about 30 lbs. I have been on here for about 35 days and logging daily.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hello and welcome, and yup you do look young for your age

One of my motivations is to eventually beat my 13 year old son at press-ups and get my 10 year old daughter to come along for the ride

After sitting on my *kitten* and avoiding things for some of their childhood, convincing myself I didn't want to join in / try it rather than accepting that I thought I couldn't, I finally got hold of myself 6 months ago and am on a journey into a strong, fit and fabulous mum

Have to say I love feeling strong and capable again ...it's a good feeling being an active participant in life rather than on the sidelines

Good luck on your journey ..her childhood will be better for it
  • KLangleydoula
    KLangleydoula Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Hi! A big part of my motivation in starting my journey was to be able to keep up with my 3 children. I have 3 boys and 2 of them play football, so I needed to get with it. Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • MamaP47
    MamaP47 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! My hubby is 42 with an almost 6 year old son. He can barely keep up. He's not fat or anything... Just a tad overweight...but I've noticed how his energy level has drastically dropped since he added on 20 lbs. All 3 of our kids notice too. They know that when mommy exercises and eats right....he has enough energy to take them on a 3-day trip to Disneyland. Trying to get my hubby to lose weight now. I've sent to a friend request. :)
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I am older than dirt, but want to keep up with my grandkids. Add me if you would like someone who is at the end of the journey, but still not giving in.
  • 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I had my son at 50 as well. He is 9 now. Always trying to stay on top physically so he can have an regular active dad. It's a blast isn't it?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I know having young kids makes me rethink my health more. I was 46 when they were born. Health and diet info just gets better every year it seems.