Pork loin absorbing sauce?

Options
I've tried googling this, but only came up with recipes and how-tos.

I'm making a 1.6 lb. lean pork loin in the crockpot for dinner. I seared it in cooking spray first, then put it in with herbs, 1/4 c. apple cider vinegar, and 1/2 c. teriyaki sauce that has 35 calories per Tbsp. Someone told me that the method of cooking changes the calories absorbed by the meat. If this is true, how can I find that information?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I'd just add up the calories of all the raw ingredients and enter it all into the recipe builder. Weigh the whole loin when it comes out of the crock pot to see how many servings you get, then weigh each portion as you serve/eat it.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    That's what I've been doing with other recipes, but I wasn't sure, since I'm not eating the sauce. Thanks for your answer.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    It's going to be a negligible amount of calories. None of it's an exact measurement anyway. If you are concerned, err on the side of over-estimation and add half the teriyaki sauce calories in. Per slice of loin, it's not going to make much difference.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    For the quantities involved I don't think it's really worth worrying about. The calories will even themselves out somewhere else along the line!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Always better to overestimate than underestimate. I'd just enter it like I was eating the sauce. 50 calories one way or the other is within the margin of error for calorie counting anyway.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Okay, thank you all! I'm going to log the whole 35 calories and assume that any stray calories will find their way back to my mouth at some point.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    That's what I've been doing with other recipes, but I wasn't sure, since I'm not eating the sauce. Thanks for your answer.

If you can taste the sauce, you're eating the sauce.