Soccer Ankle Injury....need advice

Options
Hi!

I played soccer last night, and I got stepped on with cleats, directly on the ball of my ankle. I have no inflammation, but the bone is now sore. It doesn't feel fractured, as the pain is about a 3. I can't put too much force on it, so I walk with a limp and have it ace-wrapped. My question to anyone who has had these injuries:

Is heat or cold (for lack of a better term) better for healing the bone bruise?

Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    look up METH, Movement, Elevation Traction HEat.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Make an appointment with a doctor for a few days from now so you can get a referral for an x-ray. If you feel better then cancel the appointment, otherwise go get an x-ray. I broke my wrist years ago playing football and it was similar to what you're describing. No inflammation but sore, but the soreness got worse every day after. Got an x-ray and... surprise, it's broken! LOL!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I might wait five days to a week before spending much money on a doctor's visit and an x-ray. Acute injuries can feel worse than they actually are. If it is not getting significantly better in a week, then go. The only advantage to going now is that you would might get some crutches, if you need them.
    If you actually have a fracture, waiting a few days is unlikely to be a problem.
    Once you have the swelling, it is a bit late to do heat or ice. Heat might help keep things a bit loose and, like the Wolf said, movement is key. Lots of gentle movement will help the healing and will help keep the fluids moving, which will help with the swelling.
    I suppose a doctor would tell you to treat the pain with a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory. But I had a soccer shoulder injury one time and I think I overdid it with those and that is set my healing back. So I might be careful with NSAIDS -- just use if you cannot sleep maybe?
    The ace-bandage probably helps to reduce and push out some of the swelling, which helps you to start moving it, which is should be beneficial.
    Good luck.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    good luck! and get better soon!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    OUCH! Feel better. (BTW i think if a grown man stepped on you and that foot was bearing all his weight, there's a possibility something could have broken. unless you are sure it's not in which case Wolf's suggestions are solid.)

this might be a good time for pain med but just be careful cause you don't want to be walking on something you shoudlnt' be just b/c pills made you feel all groovy.