Anyone on here doing this without logging? Or only logging certain foods?

Options
13»

Replies

• silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    My husband counts calories and macros, but I do all the cooking. As I cook, I write down an ingredients list for him with exact or approximate weights. I don't do the calculations for him, though.

It's a pain in the neck but I want to support him.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Mumzillah wrote: »
    I am not logging everything, only the things that have a high carb and sugar content specifically, and have allocated a daily amount of calories for those foods.

So I am logging all bread, pasta, noodles, grains, sugar or things containing sugar, alcohol, snacky food, fruit, starchy vegetables.

The foods I will eat freely are non-starchy vegetables, beans and pulses, tofu, nuts, oils (olive oil, sunflower oil, coconut oil), salad ingredients (lettuce, tomato, cucumber, etc). (I am a vegan). And when I say "freely", of course I am aware that nuts and oil contain a shitload of calories.

I would be interested to hear from people who for whatever reason are not logging, or only using MFP to log specific things. I am trying this because I think it might work for me. I know some people may not agree with this and I would urge you to continue to do what is right for you and wish you well ;)

I dont log. I didn't log when I lost. I logged briefly when I started having menopausal symptoms.
    I limit refined grains, starchy carbs, added sugars, and some fruit. I try to avoid heavily refined convenience carbohydrates. They don't taste good, and they aren't worth the dietary hassle, imho. YMMV

I don't limit greens, proteins, dairy, legumes, fats etc.
    I count nuts. I watch liquid calories from alcohol. That's pretty much it.

• Mumzillah
    Mumzillah Posts: 15
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Mumzillah wrote: »
    I am not logging everything, only the things that have a high carb and sugar content specifically, and have allocated a daily amount of calories for those foods.

So I am logging all bread, pasta, noodles, grains, sugar or things containing sugar, alcohol, snacky food, fruit, starchy vegetables.

The foods I will eat freely are non-starchy vegetables, beans and pulses, tofu, nuts, oils (olive oil, sunflower oil, coconut oil), salad ingredients (lettuce, tomato, cucumber, etc). (I am a vegan). And when I say "freely", of course I am aware that nuts and oil contain a shitload of calories.

I would be interested to hear from people who for whatever reason are not logging, or only using MFP to log specific things. I am trying this because I think it might work for me. I know some people may not agree with this and I would urge you to continue to do what is right for you and wish you well ;)

I dont log. I didn't log when I lost. I logged briefly when I started having menopausal symptoms.
    I limit refined grains, starchy carbs, added sugars, and some fruit. I try to avoid heavily refined convenience carbohydrates. They don't taste good, and they aren't worth the dietary hassle, imho. YMMV

I don't limit greens, proteins, dairy, legumes, fats etc.
    I count nuts. I watch liquid calories from alcohol. That's pretty much it.
    So you are doing the same as I am then, apart from the nuts.

I have lost three pounds since I weighed myself on Monday and have lost that horrible bloated about to burst feeling.

• workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I dont log everything - i still weigh my food though, I logged religiously for over a year so i know roughly how i eat. When i make bolognese or chilli, i still like to weigh my pasta and rice as i simply cant eyeball it - i always want more. Ive been maintaining pretty well for a couple of months doing this.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I don't log because I find I get stressed about it, and end up 'rebelling' about what I allow myself. It was the same when I tried to give up smoking in the past. I'd do really well and then have a devil on my shoulder telling me that I could do what I like and didn't need rules.

I gave up smoking by not fighting myself about it.

I'm losing very slowly, by paying attention to what I eat and asking every time I eat whether I need it, or whether I just want it. I don't mind the losing slowly - because I'd rather eat an unrestricted diet (ie. all things, just less). I wasn't losing when I logged.

But different techniques work differently for people and for some, logging is essential.

• meryl135
    meryl135 Posts: 321 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I try to log everything, though I'm not always successful. However, I have reset my macros to 40% Carbs and 30% each of Fat and Protein (that works out to 120g of carbs, 40g of fats and 90g for proteins for 1200Cal per day) and I also track sugar and fibre separately.

I am dysglycemic (meaning my blood sugar fluctuates really easily) and have a strong family history of diabetes, which I'm trying to avoid. Tracking carbs, in the context of my protein and fat content helps me regulate my blood sugar much better than before. What I mean by that is that I always feel worse (head spinning, anxious, craving more sweets, typical hypoglycemic symptoms) when I have a meal high in carbs and low in proteins/fats/fibre.

For the astute among you, my macros do mean I typically eat more paleo-like (I do eat legumes, as there is lots of research to support their positive role in preventing diabetes) and I do my best to stick to a clean, wholefoods diet. Which really helps keep my blood sugar level and helps me lose weight.

Track your carbs and see if you can spot a correlation with any cravings or a stall in weight loss when you have a high-carb day.