Does alcohol really count the same as other calories?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Alcohol = empty calories = you can have as much as you want and you won't gain weight

They call it a beer belly for a reason.

Is there a wine belly?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Alcohol = empty calories = you can have as much as you want and you won't gain weight

Is there a wine belly?

I don't believe I've heard that term used before. Although, I'm sure those who don't practice moderation might have one :p
  • nuvimi
    nuvimi Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    As I told you in another thread about this topic (where you mentioned drinking a fifth of whiskey and a 12 pack of beer in the same day on multiple occasions), you need some help.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Is there a wine belly?

I don't believe I've heard that term used before. Although, I'm sure those who don't practice moderation might have one :p

Is there a nachos belly?
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    there is a Buddha's belly restaurant
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Is there a wine belly?

Is there a nachos belly?

I want nachos.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    nuvimi wrote: »
    As I told you in another thread about this topic (where you mentioned drinking a fifth of whiskey and a 12 pack of beer in the same day on multiple occasions), you need some help.

I guess 99% of colleges students need help too then.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Thanks for the breakdown. I guess I am curious because from what I have read, if you drink alcohol, that will be the first thing your body burns as it is the preferred source (Is that correct)?

No, that's not correct, really. Your liver does process alcohol before other sugars because alcohol is a toxin (not "preferred", rather, a poison) and the liver prioritizes filtering out toxins. While it's busy doing that, anything else you ate sits on standby.

The truth about alcohol

By the way, 10 beers every day fits nobody's definition of moderation except, apparently, yours.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I guess 99% of colleges students need help too then.

99% of people use statistics for hyperbole.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    socalkay wrote: »
    Thanks for the breakdown. I guess I am curious because from what I have read, if you drink alcohol, that will be the first thing your body burns as it is the preferred source (Is that correct)?

No, that's not correct, really. Your liver does process alcohol before other sugars because alcohol is a toxin (not "preferred", rather, a poison) and the liver prioritizes filtering out toxins. While it's busy doing that, anything else you ate sits on standby.

The truth about alcohol

By the way, 10 beers every day fits nobody's definition of moderation except, apparently, yours.

I'm not seeing where he says he has ten beers a day? Did I miss something?

• FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

The truth about alcohol

It's not all that odd for me to drink 10-12 beers each day.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing. I drink a fair bit - sometimes a lot and sometimes very little for a time -- and until a few months or so ago I tracked really, really carefully (less so now and experimenting with not really tracking, but not oblivious to overall intake). Over long periods (1 year+) my overall energy balance has tracked very closely with expected loss / maintenance / gain. But in short-term snapshots (more than a day; recently as long as a week) where I might expect some movement based primarily on excess calories from alcohol (especially beer, with added carbs to boot), it hasn't quite held true to form. Small sample size, N=1, etc. I've not been as rigorous as I would like in terms of tracking alcohol now having seen this thread, but I am re-reading Martin Berkhan's "cheating" CI/CO article on drinking to see if my drinking habits may dovetail with the body's challenge on metabolizing alcohol and fat creation. (leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html for those who haven't seen it).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

The truth about alcohol

It's not all that odd for me to drink 10-12 beers each day.
    well alright then.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    rbfdac wrote: »
    I'm just wondering how you drink 10-12 beers on any given day and still function normally!

To be clear, I didn't mean every day or anything. 10-12 would be a special occasion or something for the most part.

Good thing everyone reads the entire thread...Oh wait
  • Hornsby
    Options

Think again my friend, I've never said anything of the sort. Maybe you were drinking when you read that? Bye.gif
  • Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If you are drinking 10-12 beers every day you're an alcoholic. I was there a year or two ago, and i am 10 years younger than you.

I'd suggest AA
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options

Thanks for the breakdown. I guess I am curious because from what I have read, if you drink alcohol, that will be the first thing your body burns as it is the preferred source (Is that correct)? So if you have a high TDEE can you and burn say 150 calories per hour doing nothing, can you "beat the system" so to speak?

Pretty much no. Your body doesn't prioritize anything at all, there is really no "using up" of one thing before another. Alcohol gets converted into sugar, same as carbs/sugar and fat. It uses a different enzymatic pathway to get there than carbs or fat do, but in the end it is simply turned to glucose for fuel.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    If you are drinking 10-12 beers every day you're an alcoholic. I was there a year or two ago, and i am 10 years younger than you.

I'd suggest AA

People really are great at reading on this forum.
  • Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    Options

I'd suggest AA

People really are great at reading on this forum.

You said
    "It's not all that odd for me to drink 10-12 beers each day"

Not sure how you expect people to interpret that.
  • PixieMidoriKitten
    PixieMidoriKitten Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    rbfdac wrote: »
    I'm just wondering how you drink 10-12 beers on any given day and still function normally!

This.
    You are doing bad things to your liver and your body in general by drinking that much alcohol on such a frequent basis.