Question to outside runners...

Options
crista_b
crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
Does anyone have a tip to keep those stupid little gnat/fly things away? I get so annoyed when I'm trying to run, and they're flying around my head following me (usually when it's really hot and/or humid so I'm extra sweaty).

Replies

• lindychristinaallen
    Options
    Bug spray?
  • nf1982
    nf1982 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thats a great question. Its getting pretty nasty and hot out so I will be taking it to the treadmill. Thats probs the best solution.
  • crista_b
    Options
    Bug spray?
    I've tried bug spray, but I think the sweat just ends up negating it unfortunately. :ohwell:
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    No, I don't. A few weeks ago I had to cut my run short because a bug went in my mouth. I tried to spit it out and when that didn't work I tried to swallow it (I'm sure there is a swallow/spit joke somewhere in there). It still didn't go down so I started gagging/dry heaving. That got it out but it also ruined my run.

Sorry, I didn't answer the question. Obviously I'm still traumatized. :indifferent:
  • Refr_Quicksilver
    Options
    San Diego is a bit light in the area of bugs... So I dont have much to add.. However, can you run earlier in the day,,, does that help?
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I have a huge problem here as well and I would love to hear a solution. The only solution I have found is to run in areas where there are no creeks, ponds where they tend to be worse. And no, bug spray has never helped and no, I won't stay on a treadmill
  • dmfay
    dmfay Posts: 32
    Options
    I don't have a great answer as I, too, deal with this. I've had one hit my eye, and that hurts like heck. So, I always wear sunglasses for that reason. Great question.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I find that there are areas where the bugs are worse than others (nearby undeveloped fields, standing water, or woods). If you can, alter your route to avoid areas where they are more numerous?

Alternatively, I go faster through those sections to leave em behind! Breathe through the nose or at least only breathe in through the nose... unless you want the extra protein.

Edit: Time of day can be a huge factor as well. Wind helps too, although you can't control that!
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I'd love to hear solutions too. Already swallowed a couple here in FL this year.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I just tried a sweat-proof bug spray – not sure how well it worked. I try to just keep an eye out for the swarms of bugs and avoid them. When I hit them, I run with my mouth closed. :laugh:
  • crista_b
    Options
    I have a huge problem here as well and I would love to hear a solution. The only solution I have found is to run in areas where there are no creeks, ponds where they tend to be worse. And no, bug spray has never helped and no, I won't stay on a treadmill
    I find that there are areas where the bugs are worse than others (nearby undeveloped fields, standing water, or woods). If you can, alter your route to avoid areas where they are more numerous?

Alternatively, I go faster through those sections to leave em behind! Breathe through the nose or at least only breathe in through the nose... unless you want the extra protein.

Edit: Time of day can be a huge factor as well. Wind helps too, although you can't control that!
    Hmmm... It seems like I may just have to suck it up (not the bugs though I hope :wink: ). I live next to a river, and we just got some serious flooding up here in the Chicago suburbs recently (pic below) so I think the bugs are going to be worse this year. I like to run through the park behind my house because it's not nearly as busy as the roads/sidewalks around here.

Pic of the flooding - This is less than a half mile from the park where I run (and that wasn't even one of the bad areas):
    inn2nuafwg7gpl61m80kbrqj9039rai
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    run faster to get the run over.
    Kidding.

I deal with this problem all the time and you are correct. Water is attractive to bugs. This sucks when I run trails by certain rivers and lakes. I have swallowed flys, had bugs gone into my eyes, looked manic as I ran and kept sweeping at my face... you get the point.

Do not wear anything with a perfume smell. Keep up with the bugs spray. Stick with it.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    :laugh: breathe 'em, eat 'em, swallow 'em. Toughen up! They're protein...
  • crista_b
    Options
    :laugh: breathe 'em, eat 'em, swallow 'em. Toughen up! They're protein...
    But I'm a vegetarian... :sad:

:laugh:
  • crista_b
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for your responses!
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Thankfully, I have never had that problem during the many years i have ran. I guess you should try bug repellent!
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I will sometimes run around 5:30/6 am, there usually aren't many bugs. I live on Colorado and lately it has been only 46-48 degrees in the mornings. I have gotten them in my eyes when running along the creek.
  • Footballgirl83
    Options
    No, I don't. A few weeks ago I had to cut my run short because a bug went in my mouth. I tried to spit it out and when that didn't work I tried to swallow it (I'm sure there is a swallow/spit joke somewhere in there). It still didn't go down so I started gagging/dry heaving. That got it out but it also ruined my run.

Sorry, I didn't answer the question. Obviously I'm still traumatized. :indifferent:

That happened to me too! So gross! Lol
  • nejaustin
    nejaustin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I wear sun glasses and pull my shirt up over my mouth. I have learned where the bugs are bad on the trail I run. Also they are usually bad a certain time of day (sun related, not clock related) so the bad swarms usually doesn't occur during my running time after a couple of weeks.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I had so success by running in areas away from any kind of pond, stream, ditch, etc. However, that can be hard to find. Morning is probably best.