2»

Replies

• RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited November 2014
    arditarose wrote: »
    MegsNicho wrote: »
    I had a lot of success with kick boxing when I first starting trying to lose weight but then tore both my ACL and my rotator cuff as well as a head injury. It was a miserable recovery where I found my worse eating habits reborn and gained back the 50lbs (over a two year span) I had lost and lost most of my muscle . With Physcial therapy (no surgery - thank god), I was able to get back to moving but was no longer capable to do the types of activities from before due to the thickening of torn ligaments ETC. So I've been doing a lot of cardio (and keeping it low-ish impact - I like to move). Dance. Walking. Zumba. Step Aerobics. But I've seemed to have become more stalky than lean - I haven't lost any weight and have only noticed a small decrease in my size.
    Any suggestions would be great. I eat fairly well. No dairy and minimal wheat products. I maybe over do it on the hummus and granola bars but I try to control it.

Need to state a revision here. Looking back over the past few weeks I have ingested dairy - mainly skim milk and looks like eggnog. I forgot about these moments (I have memory issues). Could the increase in dairy be my issue??

No.

If your diary is correct and you are really truly weighing everything, you'd be under eating and still losing weight. You're not losing weight, so something is wrong. It's not dairy...It's eating too much. Think hard about what you eat during the week...Are you not logging and treats you eat on the weekend, cheat meals, etc?

I'm only saying this because I'm not losing weight right now. I don't blame it on anything but over eating.

You would laugh at the variations of my morning weight counts over the past 13 days when compared with my caloric intake. There are a lot of things that affect weight. Sometimes, calories aren't the whole equation. If it were, my weight would not fluctuate by a pound each day when I weigh in upon waking up, and I would not lose 0.4 lbs after eating 3775 calories the day before. Also, my strength gains work against weight loss because I am building muscle mass. So there is another. Your weight stall might be due to you gaining muscle mass, or that you are at your ideal weight/BF% and your body physically doesn't want to lose any more (because, when does it end? What is left to lose? You look great).
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    I wasn't losing any weight and was eating relatively well. I did 2x boxing, 2 x circuit and 1x body pump at the gym during my lunch hour. Nothing happening.

I just got a PT who overhauled my nutrition (suited to my specific biosignature apparently. I am doing the program with a colleague and she has a completely different diet to me along with completely different body type!).

I now eat more than I did before and am not starving all the time (about 1600 cals atm - apparently will go up next week) and am doing hardcore weights training 3 x per week. that's it. I'm talking grunting like an olympic weightlifter weights, not looking pretty with 2k dumbells!

So perhaps you need to see someone who can point you in the right direction is my point!

I lost 900gms in the 2 weeks since I've started the program. I can also feel muscles in places I didn't know existed! I'm hopeful that this time it will work!

Good luck with finding the right thing to help you it's so frustrating when we plateau!

Do see someone though - worth it.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Can you run?

I'm always suggesting swimming, but it is not the best idea when one wants to avoid rotator cuff issues, lol. You could ask your doctor, of course. I just cannot say, "Go swim!" to someone who wants to avoid a repetitive-motion exercise involving repeatedly raising your hands over your head and pulling down against resistance! :)

Running is second best for calorie burning for me, so that's what I'll throw out. I'm doing a C25K thing and it's really fun seeing yourself get better.

I love running in the summer! Outside and it's warm and sunny. It was great for a while but my knee started to hate it. I even went on a few 5K fun runs like Mud Hero and what not. I don't mind it and yes I was told swimming too or aqua aerobics (since they are more knee friendly). I would like to try it and I will definitely discuss it with my doctor when I see her next week and find myself a pool! Thank you.
    I'm also glad to hear that you're enjoying your C25K experience! I used it and it was just not for me. I'm a run to the music kind of girl.
    The C25K apps now work with your music. :)

The music is a tremendous help to me. That "I'm Mr. Vain" song is the best.

I didn't think of aquatic exercise, but that's a great idea! Easy on the joints and doesn't require repetitive, over the head arm motion.

Dancing, too. It's free, you can do it at home and - music! :grinning:

If you aren't eating enough, you won't get as good a workout, so make sure you do that. Don't fall into eating too little. That fasting high gets addictive. You'll end up sick and crazy if you indulge that. Just a word to the wise and not a lecture! I don't read diaries, so am just going off what others have said.

If you work hard, you'll get to your goal. Stay safe. Good luck!