What are your favourite healthy food swaps to cut calories?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    catceol wrote: »
    cblue315 wrote: »
    Cauliflower "crust for my pizza. Way fewer carbs and lower in cals.
    Lettuce for wraps on my fresh rolls instead of the rice wraps.
    Light and fit Greek 80 yogurt. So yummy and 90 less cals than the regular.

tell me more about this cauliflower pizza crust...
    It's quite tasty.
    But fair warning, like "clean eating", the blasphemy of cauliflower pizza crust tends to make people kinda loopy here.

There's a million recipes.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/mediterranean_cauliflower_pizza.html

hey, maybe that's what's for dinner tonight!
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower crust - Grate a head of cauliflower on large hole side of a box grater or in processor.
    Beat 1 egg and 2 egg whites in a bowl and then mix with cauliflower, mix in 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese. Spread batter on nonstick tin foil, bake at 425 until slightly brown at edges. Put on your favorite pizza toppings and bake again.
    You can't really pick it up to eat it but it tastes really good.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    cblue315 wrote: »
    Cauliflower crust - Grate a head of cauliflower on large hole side of a box grater or in processor.
    Beat 1 egg and 2 egg whites in a bowl and then mix with cauliflower, mix in 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese. Spread batter on nonstick tin foil, bake at 425 until slightly brown at edges. Put on your favorite pizza toppings and bake again.
    You can't really pick it up to eat it but it tastes really good.

If you cook it on a stone, flipping on both sides to brown it you pretty much can.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Actually, another one I do, but it's not really a direct swap, is:

Root veggie or winter squash or even any additional veggie for "starch" portion of my dinner plate.

I frequently have potatoes/sweet potatoes or some pasta/quinoa/etc., but if you want to save some calories from time to time or for a particular meal this can be an easy way.

I love cauliflower, but the idea of messing around with it to make it into a pizza crust drives me batty. I dislike foods dressed up as other foods. But if people think it's tasty, go for it.

The only thing kind of like that that I do is buffalo chicken salad vs. buffalo chicken, and that only because a lunch place I like turned me onto it (they also do a buffalo chicken quinoa bowl and yes, of course the salad has kale, it's that kind of place).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Actually, another one I do, but it's not really a direct swap, is:

Root veggie or winter squash or even any additional veggie for "starch" portion of my dinner plate.

I frequently have potatoes/sweet potatoes or some pasta/quinoa/etc., but if you want to save some calories from time to time or for a particular meal this can be an easy way.

Root vegetables.... now you're talking.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't do a lot of swapping. Most of what I cut cannot be replaced and I don't want an imitation, so I skip it or have it once in a blue moon.

Special K cracker chips replaced Lay's potato chips, but not a daily thing.
    Lettuce and Special K popcorn chips replaced the Mission tortilla chips with salsa.

Cheerios and Raisin Bran replaced Crunch Berries, Fruit Loops, Honeycomb, etc.

Fiber One bars replaced candy.

Scrambled Eggs replaced Egg McMuffins.

Veggie burgers replaced hamburgers.

Mueller's Whole Grain macaroni replaced white Bow Tie pasta.

I AM STILL LOOKING FOR GOOD BREAD! If anyone has a recommendation on good, (tasty) whole grain bread, please share. I keep trying them and they keep sucking asp.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I don't do a lot of swapping. Most of what I cut cannot be replaced and I don't want an imitation, so I skip it or have it once in a blue moon.

Lettuce and Special K popcorn chips replaced the Mission tortilla chips with salsa.

I AM STILL LOOKING FOR GOOD BREAD! If anyone has a recommendation on good, (tasty) whole grain bread, please share. I keep trying them and they keep sucking asp.
    For bread if you live in the states or canada, silver hills " little big bread" sprouted grain bread 2 slices 110 cal , 5 grams fiber 7 gram protein.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    nickatine wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »

For bread if you live in the states or canada, silver hills " little big bread" sprouted grain bread 2 slices 110 cal , 5 grams fiber 7 gram protein.
    Thanks, I'll look for it! :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Popcorn at the movies
    > ice cubes (I ask the concession stand for 2 cups of just ice) and crunch away

Wut? How bout a bag of 140 calorie chips? Ice?
  • radiatingkayla
    radiatingkayla Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    salad dressing ---->hummus (until recently when I discovered bolthouse yogurt dressing)

THIS DRESSING IS AMAZING! 45cal, fairly healthy, low sodium, and delicious!
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    im just here for the swap ideas :) . Pasta, which i love to eat, usually kills my calories for the day. Potatoes also, chocolate cravings get me alot - so i eat all of this rarely - but i would love to try the other options
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    catceol wrote: »
    Okay mine are:

spaghetti -> zero cals pasta (<40cals)
    chocolate -> low cal hot choc (40cals)
    General sweets that I would munch on ->2-3 marshmallows (<50cals)
    Fajita wraps -> ice berg lettuce (<10cals)

I would love to know yours! If you have calories sure through them in!
    I don't swap foods out, I eat what I want in moderation.

I got a slice of pecan pie at Whole Foods yesterday. It was not a big piece, but calorie loaded, so I cut it in half and had two days' deserts.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    lots of herbs and spices to put in taste

I make an amazing meat chilli and a veggie version with lentils and kidney beans - I now make the veggie version with neither beans nor lentils and use herbs and spices and aubergine / courgette / cauliflower / carrot to acheive similarly tasty bit bulky food for diddly-squat

I use egg whites (from a carton) rather than egg

apple sauce in baked goods rather than oil / butter (or rather than all the oil/butter)

I eat loads of avocado cos I realised I loved it

everything else is pretty much the same

that low cal pasta is grotesque though
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I don't usually really swap anything, I just change the proportions. For example, pasta salad: less pasta, more vegetables. I still get my pasta, but I'm getting a reduced portion of pasta and more veg. Win! (*)

When baking, I sometimes use half the oil and sub in apple sauce for the other half. A lot of people sub the whole amount, but I like a little fat. You can usually reduce the sugar by a little, too, but that can take some experimenting...
  • hjb85
    hjb85 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If I make burgers I sub a bread roll for some flatbread - in a C shape to hold it together.
    Been having lots of berries instead of other fruit in my shakes because they are low sugar & cal
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Swap out average wine for very good wine. Spend twice as much per bottle and drink half the amount without compromising the enjoyment.

When losing weight I really prefer eating smaller amounts of the food I like rather than substituting for "diet foods". Also remember the number of calories doesn't define whether something is healthier.
  • catceol
    catceol Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Swap out average wine for very good wine. Spend twice as much per bottle and drink half the amount without compromising the enjoyment.

When losing weight I really prefer eating smaller amounts of the food I like rather than substituting for "diet foods". Also remember the number of calories doesn't define whether something is healthier.

How utterly French of you. I <3 it! Yea I am realising the things I really like and saving for them, like this amazing hot choc you can get in dublin and prob sushi. I know sushi isn't mad calories but, its a treat.

I like your wine idea... I might try it out this evening with some expensive cheese that I will slowly nibble on. Man I wish I was French!
  • catceol
    catceol Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    lots of herbs and spices to put in taste

I make an amazing meat chilli and a veggie version with lentils and kidney beans - I now make the veggie version with neither beans nor lentils and use herbs and spices and aubergine / courgette / cauliflower / carrot to acheive similarly tasty bit bulky food for diddly-squat

I use egg whites (from a carton) rather than egg

apple sauce in baked goods rather than oil / butter (or rather than all the oil/butter)

I eat loads of avocado cos I realised I loved it

everything else is pretty much the same

that low cal pasta is grotesque though

The key to the low cal pasta is prep. It takes a bit of prep. I wash it thoroughly with cold and boiling water. Then I dry fry it and add a *kitten* tone of basil, oregano and dried garlic. Then I add it to the sauce and cook it with it for 5-10 mins as it absorbs the sauce. This is when I use it for Italian dishes. When I am using it with Asian dishes I do the same with different herbs and I ALWAYS add beansprouts as they really help with the consistency.

• galenofedgewood
    galenofedgewood Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Full Throttle Energy Drinks (220 cal) -> Monster Rehab (25 cal)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I don't swap, I want the real thing. I eat in moderation, therefore don't have to go without.