Flat Feet

Options
What's up everybody!

Just wanted to get anyone's opinion on dealing with this issue. On top of weightlifting, I also enjoy basketball, sprinting, jump roping, basically any type of fast-paced cardio. However, the limiting factor seems to be my flat feet as i cannot do any of the listed activities without a burning, throbbing sensation on my soles. It's also a little frustrating knowing that I have the potential to push myself more, but the pain is just too intense. In fact, I think several of the nagging injuries I have right now are because of being flat footed. These range from lower back pain, knee pain and shin splints that just won't go away. I already visited a podiatrist who gave me specialized insoles to take care of the matter. He said that the pain would completely disappear, but honestly the pain just became more intense, even after the suggested break in period. Now that that's failed, I'm not sure what to do next. Anyone who's ever dealt with this before knows that it's nothing but a hindrance. Any advice? Thanks a lot!

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    This is gonna sound weird but I have the same problem, and although insoles have helped somewhat, I just recently got advised to roll my feet on a can (well on a foam roller, but can is also round lol) and I really think it's helping. Just put one foot on it and roll it back and forth with good pressure, and get all the way to the toes and heel. It's worth a try :) Just a regular can of artichoke hearts. I've only done it for maybe a minute total each AM and PM, just for the past 3 days, but I swear I feel better.
  • itzentoytainment
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I've actually heard about that too to release the tightness, but I use a lacrosse ball instead. I haven't really been consistent with it though like you seem to be so will definitely have to try!
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    TriComfortWomens_med.png

I use these in soles for the pain of my flat feet. It helps me a lot.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I have genetic flat feet, and I only have problems whenever I wear shoes with arch support (or shoes made for people with arches.) It's like going a whole day with a big rock in each shoe digging into my feet where my nonexistent arches are supposed to be, which makes both my feet and body hurt.
  • ZBuffBod
    ZBuffBod Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Thanks for these tips: from a fellow flat-footer.
  • itzentoytainment
    Options
    Does anyone else feel pain when just walking also?
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Oh, ouch. I have the same problem - flat feet and plantar fascitis. I was going to recommend the custom orthotics but ....

So, here's the other stuff that's worked for me:

Stretching. Stretch your feet and ankles whenever you can. Stand with your toes on a step and push your heel down, or lie on your back and wrap a fitness band around the ball of your foot and pull on the toes (stretches your toes toward your shin). My pod. recommended that before getting out of bed in the morning and it helps a lot.

Ice. I put ice packs on my soles at night during couch potato time.

Advil. Tons of it. Keeps the inflammation down.

They make these little spiky foam balls that you can roll around under your sole. I've never tried it but they look like they'd feel good :)

Sensible shoes, obviously. The more support the better. No flip flops and no "open back" shoes because they make you curl your toes to keep them on. If you have to shuffle to walk, they're no good.

Oddly, more standing has helped. I now stand at work instead of sitting. It lets me stretch my hamstrings all day instead of letting them get contracted.

Choose exercise carefully. I use the elliptical or stationary bike because it's less pounding on the feet. I also do lots of rowing and strength training. I can walk but my feet are done after about 3 miles. I don't ever run, but if I did, it would be on a treadmill or a track made of springy material, not ever on concrete. And I love hiking and skiing, but those are pretty strictly out. When I do hike, I pay for it for days. Swimming is great too, if you like it.

And massage. I go twice a month, which is expensive but honestly without it I can barely walk. Not the fun kind provided by a beautiful Swede, but the painful deep tissue kind provided by a guy who looks like a linebacker. It hurts like hell but loosens up my muscles so I'm good for another few weeks. The focus is on back and legs. He barely touches my feet at all (which is good because they hurt like h-ll). But loosening the calves has helped immeasurably with the foot pain.

After two years of these therapies I am now, I'd say, 85% pain free where I used to barely be able to walk at all. Losing weight is going to be the final nail in the foot pain coffin, but of course I had to deal with the pain before I could move enough to drop any weight. My weight is now almost exactly back to what it was before my feet started to hurt, so it can only get better from here.

Good luck to you, feel free to friend me.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    My physical therapist advises doing the "short foot" exercise. Look it up on YouTube to see how to do it.