3 Ways to Burn Calories While You Sleep

Options

Replies

• merisaOct3
    merisaOct3 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    at first i was like "lolz" and then i was like "pick up heavy things and put them down" ... and sure enough...
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering how to "sleep soundly" (tip #1) when I'm cold because I "turn off the heater" (tip #3).
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Sleep soundly... oh right, I'll just tell my insomnia to screw off so I can burn those calories faster.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    We never have the heater on at night, but between a lovely warm doona and body heat, it's lovely and warm. I can't sleep cold, so I agree that number 1 and number 3 could potentially cancel eachother out.
  • Irine_s
    Options
    I usually sleep with my blanket over my head so I, don't feel very cold when the heater is turned down a little... because I can't tell the difference :blush:
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    How many calories would sleepwalking burn? I need to know... for science.
  • Irine_s
    Options
    that is a very interesting question Mr_Bad_Example hehe

Normal Sleep consists of : Two major stages
    1. Nonrapid eye movement sleep (NREM)- Characterized by slowing of the EEG rhythms, high muscle tone, and absence of eye movements and thought activity. In this stage the brain is inactive while the body is active. It is consisted of 4
    sub-stages

2. Rapid eye movement sleep (REM): 25%, with aroused EEG patterns (sawtooth waves), sexual arousal, rapid eye movements, generalized muscle atony, and dreams (nightmares). In this stage, the brain is active and the body is inactive. and you burn calories during this stage as your heart rate is increased.

Sleepwalking: It occurs during stage 3-4 of sleep (NREM), with sequencing behaviors during sleep without full consciousness.
    So, my guess is that you would burn same amount calories during sleep walking, as if you were doing a a slow pace walking... good thing we do not sleep walk during REM sleep, then we would be acting out the nightmares :o
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Well Irine_s, that was a surprisingly interesting answer to my mostly snarky question. Now, what if you were sleep Crossfitting?
  • Irine_s
    Options
    lolz, I can only guess you would burn same amount of calories as if you were awake :smiley: but more if you were in you REM sleep, which would be like you were injected with some sort of mirakuru hehe