I'm in the process of trying all the Quest Bar flavours- mini review inside

Hi everyone

I've recently been able to finally get my hands on some quest bars, and I've really been enjoying trying the various flavours in different ways. I thought I might share what I think about the ones I've tried so far.

Each bar got cut into thirds, this way I was able to sample 1/3 straight out of the pack, 1/3 microwaved and gooey and 1/3 baked in the oven.

Peanut Butter and Jelly

Straight up-

This is the one bar that I found was best straight up. It was soft and slightly chewy but not gummy or overly dense. The flavour was awesome, it had a strong PB&J taste, but what I was mostly pleased with was that it also had a hint of a bread-like flavour. It made it feel like I was eating a PB&J sandwich which was great.

Microwaved-

This was just ok. I feel like heating this bar kind of erased the bready flavour which was a shame. It did make it easier to chew but I wouldn't recommend heating this particular bar.

Baked-

This bar was pretty nice baked. It sort of ended up just tasting like a peanut butter cookie. Again the bready flavour seemed to be lost with cooking.

Cookies and Cream

Straight up-

I wasn't a huge fan of this straight up. It tasted a little over sweet and fakey to me, and the texture was a little to chewy.

Microwaved-

Definitely my preferred way to eat this bar. With the white 'cream' component softened up and bit the (really tasty) cookie pieces shone through. This bar was still a little strange tasting to me but definitely improved with heating.

Baked-

Nicer than out of the packet, the texture as pretty nice. It crisped up on the outside and stayed nice and soft in the centre. I think it made the cookie chunks a bit least noticeable however.

Cinnamon Roll

Straight Up-

This smelled really nice straight out of the pack. Almost identical to a cinnamon roll. The texture was ok, an touch too chewy- but the flavour was nice. It had a really convincing buttery cinnamon taste.

Microwaved-

Microwaving elevated this bar to awesome desert status. To me, it tasted exactly like a warm cinnamon roll, the cinnamon tasted more pronounced, as did the pastry-like flavour. The texture became doughy and stretchy which made it seem even more authentic.

Baked-

Not at all bad, less pastry like and more cookie like in texture but the flavour was still there. However it seems like a waste to bake this bar when it's so good microwaved.

Chocolate Brownie

Straight up-

Frankly, bad.

Both the texture and flavour were very typically "proteiny" and it had a weird aftertaste with very little sweetness.

Microwaved

Definitely an improvement. It smelled like a brownie now and the texture was much nicer. The flavour was better but still kind of average.

Baked

The optimal way to way this bar IMO. Smell and texture were almost identical to a real brownie, and the flavour was better. I still feel like it could use a touch more sweetness, but it was not at all bad.

That's all for now, I'm going to try Coconut Cashew and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough next and will share my thoughts here.

In the meantime id love to hear how everyone else likes their bars/flavour recommendations etc. thanks!

Replies

• MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Great reviews! I love chocolate chip cookie dough, tastes amazing in every possible way - eating it right out of the pack, microwaved, baked. My second favourite is Cookies and Cream! Also if you are following QuestNutrition they have new flavour coming and I'm really excited!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I got to give the cinnamon roll one another shot.
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    To me, Pure Protein bars taste great straight out of the box at significantly less cost. What is it about Quest bars that sets them apart?
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    I like the apple pie, it tastes more like apple cinnamon oatmeal but is good. This is strait up.
  • waterbyrde
    waterbyrde Posts: 30 Member
    Has anyone tried the coconut cashew Quest bar?

I was going to get some to take on a trip to avoid airport food...but don't want to get stuck with something inedible. (That flavor was on a "best of" list for nutrition -- I'm not sure how it stacks up against the other flavors.)
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    SLHysell wrote: »
    To me, Pure Protein bars taste great straight out of the box at significantly less cost. What is it about Quest bars that sets them apart?

they taste way better, and have significantly higher fibre
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member

They have 17g of fiber!!!
  • Francl27

They have 17g of fiber!!!

This. I love the taste of pure protein, but they are just not as filling.
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    edited November 2014
    Ahhh...The fiber. I see. Since fiber isn't a big concern for me, I hadn't even noticed. Taste, of course, is subjective.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Nice reviews. I agree with you about Cookies and Cream and Chocolate Brownie. The other flavors you reviewed I haven't tried yet, but I know I wouldn't repurchase those 2 flavors. I also wouldn't repurchase Apple Pie because it smells bad and has that same overly saccharine fake sweet thing going on like Cookies and Cream.
    I really like White Chocolate Raspberry and Chocolate Chip Cookie dough. They smell like the flavors they are, and are really tasty and not too sweet or that fake sweet tasting.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member

Fiber. I like Pure Protein bars too, though. I eat both. And I don't microwave or bake Quest Bars, if they're not good straight up then that's Quest's problem to solve, not mine.

• Chaotic_Weevil
    Chaotic_Weevil Posts: 199 Member
    Great reviews! I love chocolate chip cookie dough, tastes amazing in every possible way - eating it right out of the pack, microwaved, baked. My second favourite is Cookies and Cream! Also if you are following QuestNutrition they have new flavour coming and I'm really excited!

I have the CCCD coming in the mail, I couldn't find it here. I'm pretty excited about it.

Ohh new flavour? Awesome.

I want it to be chocolate pretzel flavoured.
  • Chaotic_Weevil
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I got to give the cinnamon roll one another shot.

I think it may be my favourite so far.
  • Chaotic_Weevil
    I like the apple pie, it tastes more like apple cinnamon oatmeal but is good. This is strait up.

I keep hearing good things about apple pie. Can't wait to try it

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I've been wanting to try the PB&J but every time I see it, I back away because it's a little higher in calories than I normally like to go for Quest bars.
  • arditarose
    I think my least favorite so far is the strawberry cheesecake.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    waterbyrde wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the coconut cashew Quest bar?

I was going to get some to take on a trip to avoid airport food...but don't want to get stuck with something inedible. (That flavor was on a "best of" list for nutrition -- I'm not sure how it stacks up against the other flavors.)
    The coconut cashew ones taste super fake to me. Still edible, but one of my least favorite flavors.

• Francl27
    arditarose wrote: »

Yeah I wasn't fond of that one either, which made me sad. The worst for me is the lemon one, but I'm too that fond of coconut I guess.
  • arditarose
    Francl27 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

Yeah I wasn't fond of that one either, which made me sad. The worst for me is the lemon one, but I'm too that fond of coconut I guess.

I haven't tried either of those!

I get really pissed when my store runs out of cookie dough or cookies and cream, because they only stock the strawberry cheesecake, mixed berry, and peanut butter ones. It's so obvious that all of those ones sit there longer than the two I mentioned.

Peanut butter ones are okay, not my fave even though I love peanut butter.

Today, I was riding the subway and in a sleep deprived fog thought to myself "I could marry a quest bar".
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    I wish I could afford to do this experiment, haha.