Lifting: "Taking it easy" after an injury

Options
Tuesday morning, I came up from a squat (145 lbs - heavy for me, but not the heaviest I've done) and I got an intense pain in my lower back. I racked the weight and, as I walked away from the bar squat rack, I got really lightheaded, broke out in a cold sweat, and my vision blurred. I had to lie on the floor for nearly an hour before I could stand up without feeling like I was going to puke or pass out. The pain at this point was moderate and I only felt it with movement. I ended up going to Urgent Care just to make sure I didn't do any permanent damage, but they pretty much brushed me off saying it was probably a muscle issue and to avoid lifting anything heavier than 10 lbs (aka air) for about a week, take ibuprofen and a muscle relaxer, and apply heat twice a day. They didn't even take an x-ray.

This is my first injury caused my lifting, so it freaked me out a bit. I know the injury most likely occurred due to bad form, so I plan on figuring out what I was doing wrong and correcting that. Going this whole week without lifting has been agonizing, especially since the pain isn't all that bad. However, I've been taking it easy as I was told. I don't know if it's the lack of activity or maybe the muscle relaxer, but it looks like I'm holding onto about 5 lbs of water weight (according to the scale) even though I dropped my calories to make up for not exercising. I've been keeping my protein and water intake up to hopefully aid recovery.

I'm going out of my mind and can't wait to get back under the bar next week. However, I know I can't go right back into lifting heavy after what happened. I definitely don't want to re-injure myself and have to go even longer without working out. However, I'm not sure what people mean when they tell me to "ease back into it" or "take it easy." Do I just stick with my warm up weight for a week or so or do I need to start at the beginning with just the bar? Like I said, this is my first injury like this, so I don't know where to start.

Any help would be awesome.

Replies

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Let me guess - TLDR? How's this...

TLDR: How do you suggest easing back into lifting after a lower back injury?
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    deload weeks are common in lifting. t-nation has a series about deloading.

or: try the first week of stronglifts / starting strength (a.k.a, start with the bare bar), as you said.

progression will be quick and it's part of recovering. check your ego (can be the hardest part for some) and good luck!

also - please update to let us know how awesomely you're doing in getting back to 100%!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Frankly, I'd try it with just the bar to make sure it's not going to cause you pain. Also be sure you've cleared the muscle relaxants out of your system before you do. ;)

Seriously, I did something similar with my right shoulder about 2 months ago. Freaked me out, hurt like hell the first few hours and a few days later it was much better. I knew it wasn't serious enough to go to Urgent Care and I've been there for a similar injury (non-lifting, though) in the past and they also sort of blew me off and didn't do xrays so I wasn't about to waste my time again. I took it easy, started out with almost no weight when I did that move again and two sessions later I was right back at it with my old weight.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Frankly, I'd try it with just the bar to make sure it's not going to cause you pain. Also be sure you've cleared the muscle relaxants out of your system before you do. ;)

Seriously, I did something similar with my right shoulder about 2 months ago. Freaked me out, hurt like hell the first few hours and a few days later it was much better. I knew it wasn't serious enough to go to Urgent Care and I've been there for a similar injury (non-lifting, though) in the past and they also sort of blew me off and didn't do xrays so I wasn't about to waste my time again. I took it easy, started out with almost no weight when I did that move again and two sessions later I was right back at it with my old weight.

Thanks, that makes me feel better.

I'm 3 days in and half the time I feel fine and the other half it aches. There are no sharp pains or anything and I'm careful not to bend at the waist because that's the movement that seems to hurt it most. There was one point on Day 1 when I could barely walk from the car to my front door, so I'd say it's improving. Hopefully by Monday the pain will be gone completely.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options

or: try the first week of stronglifts / starting strength (a.k.a, start with the bare bar), as you said.

progression will be quick and it's part of recovering. check your ego (can be the hardest part for some) and good luck!

also - please update to let us know how awesomely you're doing in getting back to 100%!

I do 5/3/1, so I deload once a month anyway. Next week, ironically enough, is my deload week, but I'd say I'll be lifting even less than I do on a normal deload week.

I think I will start with just the bar as you suggested. Thanks.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i just had knee surgery, i'm looking at not lifting with that leg, for 6 to 9 months. and then starting out super slow. I know how you feel. Take it slow, it will benefit you in the long run to let your injury fully heal. Do other exercises in the mean time, or use the machines. You'll come back stronger and better for taking it slow.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options

I do 5/3/1, so I deload once a month anyway. Next week, ironically enough, is my deload week, but I'd say I'll be lifting even less than I do on a normal deload week.

I think I will start with just the bar as you suggested. Thanks.

I do 5/3/1 as well....so its fortunate your hitting the deload week but yea definitly just the bar...if for no other reason but to check your form!

• civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm in the last week of a high volume program and in it I am supposed to SS one-arm dumbbell rows after bench presses. Now I am already pretty tired from the previous day squatting 10x10, and two weeks ago I pulled my back a bit on the left bottom side. Last week (as with this week) I just avoided the offending exercise but didn't skip my back. I programmed in pull-ups, 10 sets. Got the work in that I needed too without losing to much.

I know this is the squat and not much you can do to program around an exercise like that, but you could lay off of it for a few weeks and do something like Smith Machine leg presses. That way your giving your back some support and still working those quads some.

Basically, use assistance work as your main work while you heal.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    I had this happen last month when I was deadlifting. Went straight to my chiropractor, who immediately saw the issue and adjusted me, had a couple follow up visits with my chiro and didn't deadlift for two weeks. I lost about 3 weeks out of my program, but by protecting the injury aggressively I am back to 100% and just set a new PR.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You've already gotten good advice. Only thing I'll add is to video your form (a lot) to keep an eye on things and see where you need improvements. Don't want to have repeat back injuries, that's for sure.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

If the hospital tells you to take a couple of advil and take a couple days off, are we really classifying this as an "injury"?

Y do you hate the troops?
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    edited November 2014
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

If the hospital tells you to take a couple of advil and take a couple days off, are we really classifying this as an "injury"?

You might want to Google the term "injury." It's a minor injury in the grand scheme of things, but an injury nonetheless. Technically, falling down and scraping a knee is an injury. I never said I was disabled, dude.

And what are you talking about with your "hate the troops" statement?

Was there a point to your response?

ETA: Oh, never mind. I just saw who I was talking to. Of course there wasn't a point to your response.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

You might want to Google the term "injury." It's a minor injury in the grand scheme of things, but an injury nonetheless. Technically, falling down and scraping a knee is an injury. I never said I was disabled, dude.

And what are you talking about with your "hate the troops" statement?

Was there a point to your response?

ETA: Oh, never mind. I just saw who I was talking to. Of course there wasn't a point to your response.

Wait, Google exists in your world? R u certain?
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    get well soon and love the 5/3/1.

Bojak Horseman was right about the troops :)
  • feralX
    feralX Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I second the Chiro recommendation. If you felt nauseous and light headed there's a good chance something is out of alignment. Any lifting injury I've had my Chiro was always the first stop. A good Chiro mind you, there are some pretty poor ones out there too. When you start squatting again you might want to consider goblet squats, you can go ATG and keep an upright posture, I suspect your injury was from leaning too far forward.
    Best of luck and take care.