"You are not eating enough"

Options
2»

Replies

• ddache
    ddache Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Haha I would never eat less then 1000 cals, not even if I wanted to. I take in half of that just by eating my baby`s leftovers :)
    But no, Im not eating 2000 cals, trying to go somewhere in the middle.
    Today with exercise Ive been allowed 2630 cals, Ive already eaten 1600 and I feel quite full. If I eat more Ill be over eating, which is what Ive been trying to avoid with MFP.
    So basically my question is,is that not enough for the day? Should I worry that Im not getting the extra 1000? I feel fine like this, my goal to get as close as possible to where I was before the pregnancy.Working out 5 days a week, eating healthy but not counting calories, I was 120lbs and loved it.
    Maybe this calories counting business is not for me. :/
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    oORosadaOo wrote: »
    Out of interest: Where does it say you're not eating enough? My diary only gives me my leftover calories in green and then the prognosis for the next 5 weeks.

How many calories under your goal do you have to eat to be "yelled at"? :worried:

Currently, you have to eat less than 1000 calories. Your exercise doesn't matter.

Unless someone is on a doctor-supervised plan, I don't think there's any reason to eat that low on a regular basis, although for one day due to not being hungry (or a fast or something) it's obviously not a problem.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ddache wrote: »
    I like omelet,with some bread and a fruit after it fills me up.Thats enough for me.

How do you make the omelet? I have an omelet and fruit all the time, and it's typically about 250-75 calories for the omelet (2 eggs, veggies, and often some feta, cooked in a spray of oil), plus 50-100 calories for the fruit, and if I added bread I suppose it would be another 100 or so. So, no, I think that's a reasonably-sized meal. Are you getting about 450 calories for it? Or are you trying to make it lower-calorie by using only egg whites or otherwise getting a much lower number either due to logging or amount eaten?
    Is not a full plate of pasta enough for a meal?!

What's a full plate? I serving of pasta (which is probably less than a full plate) is probably around 200 calories, and I would hope you'd add something to it--make a sauce with veggies and then add some kind of protein source to that meal. So again I'd expect a pasta-based meal to come in around 450 or so at least.

If you have 3 450-calorie meals, that's 1350, which is consistent with your goal, and you might want to eat more (I suspect you will eventually), but you wouldn't be getting the message.
    I have no problem getting the set up 1300 or 1500 cals. But its the extra that I get from exercise, ( I get 300cals just for walking and I walk every day for at least an hour, sometimes even 3) Im not that hungry most days to consume 2500 cals.

It doesn't give the message under those circumstances. If you are getting that message and actually eating 1300-1500 calories and logging it, you might want to contact tech support.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    I think if you eat less than 1,200 calories, it "yells" at you.
  • hummynbyrd2252
    Options
    It sounds like you're eating plenty of calories and getting enough exercise...check out the website defineyoury.com, there is a transformation program that may help you immensely, I've seen the result on quite a few people and it is quite an amazing thing to see. They even have coaches to help you so that you have great success if you want one...really, check it out and think about it, it's a 13 week program, it sounds like you could really benefit from their knowledge. The best of luck!!! Keep on....you're on the right track to a healthy life.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary, thank you for making it open. Now that everyone who wanted to has seen it, you can close it up again if you prefer to keep it private. (I'm a firm believer in protecting my privacy, LOL)

One thing I noticed is that you haven't been posting very long, just since the 17th, so of course you are unsure of what the diary is trying to tell you.

Another thing is I 've seen small meals, sometimes only 2 in a day. And they are along the lines of bread and jam. By the way, that veg stir fry ... at 2 servings ... were those 1/2-cup servings? Where they fried in stir-fry oil? What did you eat with it besides 40 grams of bread? That was the same day that you reported 62 minutes of high impact aerobics that took 535 calories from what you ate to give your net calories for the day ...
    .... question on the exercise ... were you moving the entire time of 62 minutes doing the exercises or was that the total time you were in the class ... because you'll get a more accurate reading if you only count the actual time you spent moving with the aerobics at high impact, not warmups or cooldowns, or stops in between.

The same questions for the 70 minutes of aerobics on another day. Plus, you walked for 70 minutes at a constant 12.5 minutes per km ... or was it only for part of that time that you walked at that pace?

See ... this is why you don't really want to show your diary to anyone ... people , like I am doing, will pick you apart. Protect your sanity and keep your diary private.

My heart-felt suggestion to you would be to read as much as you can about nutrition ... there is a lot articles available for you on MFP and at many other sources.

By the way ... that Pasta with garlic and mushrooms sounds delicious. How much was your plate serving ... 1 cup or 2?

Keep going ... and check with your doctor if you aren't certain about if you are eating enough or not ...

• ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    "shock your body or starve it..." The only way you can do that is by not eating for about 4 months. Relax.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    two egg omelet? I didn't think they even qualified until they were at least 3 eggs or more.
  • ddache
    ddache Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I dont mind keeping it open, thanks for taking a look at it.
    2 egg omelet is enough for me. The nutrition guide with the videos Ive been using says 2 eggs, 3 egg whites,veggies... Thats fine for others, but just looking at it :s
    I think its the past week that Ive been eating what seems to little, on the go...had affected the log. But I have a lot of weeks like this so I need to find the middle of over eating and under eating which I was surprised when it I saw it.
    About the exercise, yes, Ive put down rounded numbers but trying to go on the lower side because I dont want to put calories I havent burned. Yes, I did walk with that pace, somewhere it was slower but thats why I have 70 instead od 90 which was the actual length of the walk.And yes Im moving all the time when Im working out. Again, sometimes I work out more but because my heart rate has gone down I round up.
    Thanks for the input. I know now what I need to do :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I couldn't tell you the last time I ate 2 scrambled eggs or omelette.

that makes me sad :(
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Enter your stats into a TDEE calculator and see what it comes up with. Deduct 10 to 15 percent from that number. Eat back half of the calories burned while working out.
    Use a food scale to measure all of your food.

umm if you do TDEE you do not eat back your exercise calories, because TDEE already has exercise built into it...
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I couldn't tell you the last time I ate 2 scrambled eggs or omelette.

that makes me sad :(

I'm not the OP, but two scrambled eggs and toast is pretty standard for me. I can't finish a 3 egg omelet, myself. I make up for it with extra cheese, though. Sorry that my preferences make you sad! :flowerforyou:

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I eat four eggs and four egg whites about every day ….
  • 100andOnward
    100andOnward Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I used to get this a lot, notably on the app. It often came up when I ate over 3500 calories for the day. I thought it was because I had a "net" below my BMR, but found that wasn't the case. If you're eating enough, I suspect it's an occasional glitch in the app. Don't sweat it too much, especially if it doesn't happen every day.