Weight lifting Questions

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I mean, straight water. lol, sorry. I was not clear.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I mean, straight water. lol, sorry. I was not clear.

Oh in that case, I recommend upping the vodka.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Gremlins. Or a goat. Definitely a goat.

Honestly, I have no clue. It's funny though, or those massive leg trembles when you're at or near max load in a deadlift, and everything is just shakin' and quaking.
    I might be wrong about this, but isn't that due to an electrolyte imbalance? Either sodium or potassium is out of whack.

I like the theory... May have to experiment and see if it happens less with a sports drink or not.
    Eat a banana before you head in - they are great sources of potassium.

Save the pricey sports drink for a hang over. :wink:

Of it's just an overall thing I take potassium and magnesium daily.
    My medical "knowledge" is tapped. :dizzy_face:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Gremlins. Or a goat. Definitely a goat.

Honestly, I have no clue. It's funny though, or those massive leg trembles when you're at or near max load in a deadlift, and everything is just shakin' and quaking.

Oh, yeah, my lifting partner was laughing at me on Wednesday because I'd just upped my weight... then followed by the jelly-leg walk as you head out to the car afterward.
  • dbmata
    Options
    lol, yeah, that walk. The gym I lift at is on the second floor of the Y.

I finished out a heavy squat session with 300 reps of leg extensions. I stood up and immediately took a knee. Eventually toddled to the stairs and proceeded to almost fall down them. lol.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    dangie2002 wrote: »
    What is the purpose for waiting 60-120 seconds for recovery in between sets when weight lifting?
    Is it ok to only wait 30 seconds?
    Is it ok to do a different lift with a different muscle group versus waiting during the recovery?
    1. It's to recover between work sets.
    2. Yes, it's ok, but your ability to work at a high level of effort during the work set may be impacted.
    3. Yes, in general that's what you're doing when you're super setting. During my session with my coach yesterday, I was doing heavy bench, then for a rest break I was doing sets of pushups, and then some russian twists. Once those were done, back to the bench pressing. Sometimes, I'll do lat raises and delt raises in between sets of bench pressing. It's a good way to increase work volume.

As for rep ranges, I work in super low reps, doing 1 or 2 or 3 reps in a set. Sometimes I'll do sets of 10, or 15. Other times I'll go as high as 40 or 50 reps in a set. It depends on your goals. 10-15 or so is generally specifically for hypertrophy, which if your goal is muscle preservation while losing weight, this is probably an excellent range for you.

There's a lot of crappy info out there, and a lot of crappy info on this forum. There are some beginner's routines that are suggest a lot, I know the first two personally, have no experience with the last one.
    1. Starting Strength
    2. Stronglifts
    3. New Rules of Lifting and New Rules of Lifting for Women

The third one, I'm not a fan of the idea of "lifting for women", it's lifting. Gender isn't relevant in the lifts and exercises done. Anyway, look into any of those, and you'll find good info.

ETA - I would also suggest that if you're doing 6 days of work. Do 3 days of lifting, 3 days of cardio.

NROL4W, the idea is that women should be lifting just like men. It just breaks it down specifically for women, reassuring them that they're not gonna get HUGE and BULKY from lifting heavy weights.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    lol, yeah, that walk. The gym I lift at is on the second floor of the Y.

I finished out a heavy squat session with 300 reps of leg extensions. I stood up and immediately took a knee. Eventually toddled to the stairs and proceeded to almost fall down them. lol.
    LOL!!

Mine just has a slight slope from the doorway to the parking lot but that's bad enough. I usually just pray I don't have to step hard on the brakes on the way home.
  • dbmata
    Options
    oh ok, no silliness like, women can't snatch because it will stop your mensies?
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    oh ok, no silliness like, women can't snatch because it will stop your mensies?

Nope, just the opposite :D
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Did you talk to a trainer where you work out?
  • jorbjorb
    Options
    i just wait for my heart rate to drop below 125bpm before i do another set. sometimes long wait sometimes short.
  • dbmata
    Options
    "Chapter 2 - Stick a cork in it."
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    "Chapter 2 - Stick a cork in it."

Or just use a cup :wink:
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    it depends on your goals. i lift heavy and when i'm in my heavy zone, i can rest up to 3 , 4, 5 or more minutes between lifts, to replenish whatever it is in my muscles that powers them. After a while you'll get to know your body and know how much rest you need between sets. If you start your next set too soon, you wont make it through your next set efficiently. If you wait too long, you're just wasting time, which is fine if you like hanging out at the gym bs-ing with other weight lifters between sets.

This... If I start my next set too soon, I hit failure before I can finish. SL 5x5 suggests 90 secs if it was easy and 3 mins if it was not. It's a good rule of thumb. I get bored just sitting there between sets so I'll either do some ab or glut work or some stretching.

As someone else mentioned, heavy weight with low reps is more beneficial for your goals than lighter weight and higher reps.
  • dbmata
    Options
    If you routinely superset, or cut your rest time, you will adapt. Fairly quickly actually.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    If you routinely superset, or cut your rest time, you will adapt. Fairly quickly actually.

So you can train yourself for a quicker turnover at the same max%?
  • dbmata
    Options

Yup. I tend to do a ridiculous level of reps, but I'm still hitting heavy weights at 80-95% 1RM.

At first it was hard, very hard. Like get home, take off your shoes and wake up three hours later hard. Now it's "normal."
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    No rest = cardio to me. or pure muscle burn out.
    more rest is more strength based.

there is way more to it obviously- but seriously... that's about the jist for me.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I learned something new. So this means if you don't rest long enough your muscles literally don't have the ability to move energy from one cell to another.

Phoenix: That is mostly correct. If you're body doesn't have the energy requirements you won't be able to complete the exercise. Now different loads require different levels of energy, so for some loads (85%+) you will likely need 2 to 4 min to recover between sets. Sub-maximal loads won't require as much time to recover, so it kind of depends on what you're doing. :)
    I wait until the song finishes. When the new song start, I start again. So, anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes. Resting is essential when the weight is freaking heavy enough to almost make you want to cry that you have to lift it again. LOL

Ha, yeah I do something similar and pick a 3 to 4 min song usually.

It depends on what your training goals are for that session. Sometimes it's appropriate and sometimes it may not be. For instance, yesterday I was lifting up to a 1-rep OHP. Typically when I do pressing work I super-set with pull-ups but today I kept my focus on just pressing because I wanted my best pressing result possible. But one thing to keep in mind is that everything in your training plan should have a purpose, don't do something just to do it. If it doesn't serve a purpose or is excessive then don't do it.