sore muscles

Options
Ok everyone. Any good tricks to get rid of sore muscles. Yesterday was my first day working out in over a year. To say Im a little sore is an understatement:)

Replies

• pamtam1
    pamtam1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Lemon. I cut a lemon in half and squeeze it will a little warm water and I drink that every night and every morning and it knocks out muscle soreness. better than advil
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    well there really isn't a remedy, you're muscles haven't been used in a while. So a good way to recover is stretching and Foam rolling. As you workout more and more the occurrence of muscle soreness will decrease
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Use the muscles. If it's your legs - go for a walk/hike/bike ride. If it's upper body, go for a swim.

Foam rolling, while it can be excruciating, can also be very beneficial.
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    lots of water, stretching, eat well and as someone already said is to get out there and use the muscles.
  • QueenMother14
    QueenMother14 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Stretching, working your muscles, foam rolling and Epsom salt baths are supposed to help.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    ryder1013 wrote: »
    Ok everyone. Any good tricks to get rid of sore muscles. Yesterday was my first day working out in over a year. To say Im a little sore is an understatement:)

I'm a little sore (lot sore) today.

My plan is to spend an hour on my trainer (think stationary bike, but a real bike) and work all those muscles. Rolling some of the muscles out too. Neither thing is pleasant, but effective.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water and move- stretch, walk, foam roll. As you keep going, your muscles will get used to is and not get so sore.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Move to get rid of stiffness, eat to give your body what it needs to repair the muscle. Heat or cold which ever sounds and feels good.

Pain killers may take the edge off but they may also prolong the time it takes to recover.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    LotusAsh wrote: »
    well there really isn't a remedy, you're muscles haven't been used in a while. So a good way to recover is stretching and Foam rolling. As you workout more and more the occurrence of muscle soreness will decrease

this.

keep moving (daily- not every second of every day) whatever movement you can get in- in terms of stretching/walking/rolling/working out- consistently will help it go away.
    -
    regular workouts is the most sure fire way to keep insane DOMS at bay.

one reason I never really stop working out- I'm terrified of that "I'm so sore I can't move" type of pain. It's horrid.

• wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Some Ibuprofen to take the edge off, then massage the muscles to work out the knots, lots of water to help flush the muscles of toxins and to assist in repair. Also, don't just sit in place, your muscles will stiffen and the pain will get worse.