NROLFW and/or weight loss

Options
I'm just starting to read NROLFW based on many recommendations from this forum. I think I understand the basic concepts but have a few questions.

Generally the rules want me to build muscle (fibers). My current main goal is weight loss without losing muscle. In the forums I've read many times that "you can't build muscle and lose weight at the same time."

My quick MFP profile:
Height: 5'6"
SW: 230
CW: 202
GW: 155 (top of BMI chart)
Time on MFP: 110 days

Up to this point I've been averaging 1600-1800 calories per day and exercise 6 days a week. I run 3 days (started the C25K program at the beginning of my MFP journey, now training for a 10k) and do some unstructured "strenght training" 3 days. I've averaged about 1-1.5 lbs weight loss per week.

So now the question: is this a good time to start NROLFW? On the 6 month program, can I expect to lose at the same rate as I am now? The last thing I read in the book last night was that one end goal of the training is to do one unassisted pull-up. That will require A LOT more strength than I have now! But can I meet my weight loss goal and get to that strength goal at the same time?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    just start working with the program. You put on muscle when you eat at a surplus...you're going to be just fine eating at a deficit and lifting with that program...yes...you will lose fat and lose weight.

It's all still the same exact math...
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Everything I've read suggests that you can gain some muscle on a calorie deficit if you are new to lifting. The gains won't continue long but you will make some at the beginning. After that, you'll be maintaining which is important.

I'm a few years older than you and a few inches shorter. I started lifting in May and my strength has definitely increased. I could only bench press 65 pounds a couple of times when I started. I'm now doing 4 sets of 6 reps at 115 pounds. I've had similar increases on different muscle groups, as well. I keep wanting to try a pull up but the bar is way over my head and I haven't had the nerve to ask anyone to lift me up there yet. I will soon, though.

This is a very good time to start lifting. Once you do you'll probably regret not starting sooner; I know I do. Honestly, I'd worry less about dropping pounds and focus on dropping inches once you start lifting. I've lost weight more slowly during these past few months but I'm about as small at 130ish as I was a few years ago at 122 pounds. Grab a tape measure and start tracking your waist, hips, thighs, biceps, etc. every two weeks or so in addition to your weigh ins.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I think you'll be fine starting this now. You will be building strength over this 6 months but also losing weight. The latter is going to help quite a bit when it comes to doing a pull-up. I started out at your current weight and my first goal was your GW too (I'm also 5'6".) I am still working on pull-ups and can do one with a 30 pound assistance band and quite a few more with a 60 pound band. It is way easier to do them now that I am lighter. So getting stronger will help but the weight loss will too.