Strong lift equipment

Options
FYI: Going to the actual gym is not an option in my case.

What equipment is needed at home for the strong lifts program?

Replies

• asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    barbell, weight plates, a bench, squat rack/power rack (for safety)

• civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    barbell, weight plates, a bench, squat rack/power rack (for safety)
    +1

And buy used, considering weight equipment is meant for abuse. Check Craigslist.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Everything that has been mentioned is correct. However, if you have access to an adjustable set of dumbbells, most of the lifts can be adapted to those. That is, until you outgrow them.
  • ourtruelovewillneverdie
    Options
    Thanks. I'm checking Craigslist but it seems everyone is only selling damn stationary bikes and treadmills. I may have to broaden my search or just look at Amazon and places like that for new.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    If you have a choice between a squat rack and a power rack (cage), get the cage. You can use it for every exercise, including bench press.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I got my rack and weight set from Dick's Sporting Goods for a good price. (See profile picture.)
  • civilizedworm
    Options
    I hate living in a second floor condo.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    See if you have a Play It Again Sports near by.

I got my cage from a used fitness place, plates and dumbbells from Craigslist, and a bar from Play It Again.

In retrospect, I could've gotten a cage from Dick's cheaper but I know this one will be less likely to fail on me since it's commercial gym quality
  • civilizedworm
    edited November 2014
    Options
  • ourtruelovewillneverdie
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    I got my rack and weight set from Dick's Sporting Goods for a good price. (See profile picture.)
    +1 for Dick's and the Fitness Gear brand. I have the bench set by them. If you don't squat a ton (I don't) you can actually save a few bucks and some space by getting it. It's $100 cheaper than the half rack and you don't have to buy a separate bench since that's attached obviously. The bar holder and safety rails fit on the back of the bench the same as the front so you can use it to squat.

Link to it.

Awesome! Will this not work good with squats though? I'm a chick so squats are going to be important to me because I want my *kitten* to be one of my best assets lol.
  • FullOnBurn
    FullOnBurn Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    And some flooring material so you don't wreck your floor or your weights. Heavy rubber (aka horse) mats. I use the cheap interlocking kind you get a Walmart, although they are probably a bit too soft
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Cheap out on plates. Get a good bar. Never go with a low-end cage - I define it as anything not capable of six hundred pounds - because the cage WILL save you from injury and death when you have to bail on a bench press.

Case in point: I build my own cage with 3/4 inch iron pipe as safeties - and BENT them when racking a squat went bad... and I'm not lifting a huge amount of weight. It's protected me when a body weight bench press didn't make the last rep I was sure I had.

Safety is good.
  • natecooper75
    natecooper75 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I would caution against the fitness gear weight plates from Dick's. They are not the standard diameter of Olympic plates. When you get to the point (or maybe you are already there), your form will change because you will have to go a couple inches lower to get into starting position.
    Other than that, they should meet most of your needs. If you are just starting out, you may not even notice.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    Cheap out on plates. Get a good bar. Never go with a low-end cage - I define it as anything not capable of six hundred pounds - because the cage WILL save you from injury and death when you have to bail on a bench press.

Case in point: I build my own cage with 3/4 inch iron pipe as safeties - and BENT them when racking a squat went bad... and I'm not lifting a huge amount of weight. It's protected me when a body weight bench press didn't make the last rep I was sure I had.

Safety is good.
    I was always told, and I follow it for my climbing gear.

If something is safety equipment designed to save your life or prevent injury, buy the best you can afford, or don't buy anything.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I have a cage (craigslist), olympic bar with clamps (craigslist), a bench (craigslist), puzzle-style mats for under everything (amazon), and plates (craigslist and amazon). I also have freeweights for warmups that I got from amazon.
  • kmorgan221
    kmorgan221 Posts: 206 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I've been watching Craigslist and racks and Olympic weights appear pretty regularly, but seem to drop off just as fast. Keep an eye on there and be ready to make an offer if/when they show up. You'll save hundreds of dollars that way.