Am I going to look manly?????

ok so I just did a whole forum of how I should work out when I start lifting, which brought me to the part where I needed to find my lean body mass... online calculators say its about 140 :p Am I at some serious risk of looking manly after I loose all this fat?? 140 seems high to me as a girl and thats BEFORE I start lifting?? I wanted my goal weight to be around the 120's is that even possible with a starting lean body mass of 140?? :sad:

Replies

• BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Just remove your skeleton. Easy weight loss!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    No. Just no. You won't look manly.

/end thread
  • bartbell
    bartbell Posts: 10
    Unless you produce/inject great amounts of testosterone like a man you will keep your girly figure, just leaner and harder. Muscle does weigh more than fat so the scale number could be higher but the look will be better.
  • FussBucket
    FussBucket Posts: 29
    I'll quote what I read in the New Rules of Lifting for Women: "Unless you are some extreme genetic outlier, you will not get "bulky"." Don't worry about it. Lift heavy to get lean.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Unless you produce/inject great amounts of testosterone like a man you will keep your girly figure, just leaner and harder. Muscle does weigh more than fat so the scale number could be higher but the look will be better.

Sooo this is potentially a good thing? That would mean I would need to lose less than I thought?
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    no. ..... no.

:noway:
  • momona808
    momona808 Posts: 2 Member
    I am always amazed about the misinformation about lifting. I lift and at last check a month ago, I gained about 5 pounds of muscle and lost 11 pound of fat. I am 148 and 5'5" which puts me at the high end of the weight chart for my height.

I wear size 6 jeans, wear size small blouses and wear size 4 shorts.

Trust me, I do not look manly. I look defined but I really doubt that anyone will tap me on the shoulder and say, "Excuse me, sir."

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound of fat and a pound of muscle weigh 16 ounces each The difference is that a pound of fat takes up five times the amount of space as a pound of muscle.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    lifting-weights-bulky.jpg
  • danamariers
    danamariers Posts: 155 Member
    If you're worried about looking like a professional female body builder (which some may say is not a feminine, not I but some say) know that it takes a BOAT LOAD OF WORK.

So if you're going to lift until failure, repeatedly, and eat like you've never eaten before and then the amount of effort you think it would take to that level... x that by 10... then possibly, over time, you would look like a "manly" body builder.

Otherwise no. Lifting will not cause your body to "man out" unless you work your buns off to get it that way

Happy lifting!
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    ok so I just did a whole forum of how I should work out when I start lifting, which brought me to the part where I needed to find my lean body mass... online calculators say its about 140 :p Am I at some serious risk of looking manly after I loose all this fat?? 140 seems high to me as a girl and thats BEFORE I start lifting?? I wanted my goal weight to be around the 120's is that even possible with a starting lean body mass of 140?? :sad:

How tall are you?

I'm 5'5". I fluctuate between 145 and 150. When I'm at 150, I'm "overweight" according to the BMI chart. My profile pic was from a few days ago. My lean body mass is about 112 lbs, so I could never have a goal weight of 125 and still be as fit and strong.
  • operation_cute

How tall are you?

I'm 5'5". I fluctuate between 145 and 150. When I'm at 150, I'm "overweight" according to the BMI chart. My profile pic was from a few days ago. My lean body mass is about 112 lbs, so I could never have a goal weight of 125 and still be as fit and strong.

I'm 5 ft 4 and currently 209 lbs (started at 211.5 been here 3 weeks)
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Just remove your skeleton. Easy weight loss!

Qft
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    lifting weights will not make you look manly, trust me.

i think that the media makes women so afraid of weight lifting its awful. Do I look manly or bulky to you? I lift heavy, 4x a week minimum. I do little cardio, I am far from manly. Lifting weights wont make you manly....esp paired with a solid cardio routine and clean eating
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    stop what you are doing ...you will get bulky and go into starvation mode....
  • operation_cute

??? are you being sarcastic?
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    unless youre also taking testosterone injections...no, you won't look manly.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    How much do you weigh, and how tall are you? 140 pounds of lean mass might not be accurate. Even if it is, no, you won't look manly.
  • operation_cute
    How much do you weigh, and how tall are you? 140 pounds of lean mass might not be accurate. Even if it is, no, you won't look manly.

I'm 5 ft 4 and 209 lbs
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member

??? are you being sarcastic?

ummmm yes..

seriously this is like the most beat to death thread on MFP ..

But like others have said, unless you are using steroids you will be fine...

do compound lifts, you will thank yourself six months from now..