Holiday Eating and Parties... How do you survive the Holidays?

Options
2»

Replies

• CrainT1
    CrainT1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    (*) Thanks everyone for these great ideas and tips... I agree that healthy weight maintenance is an all year long effort... But I know personally, I feel so guilt after having a holiday eating melt down. So these tips will really help me out this year!! I appreciate everyone's input and hope everyone has a very Healthy and Happy Holiday Season!!!
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Enjoy the holidays. I do not log on Thanksgiving or Christmas. I have lost over 80 lbs total.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I just eat/drink what I really, really want to. The nibbles, desserts etc at parties are usually too sweet, too processed and have sat around for too long waiting for people who are not hungry to stuff their faces with. I just avoid them and focus on spending time with the people. I honestly prefer my cooking to pretty much anything served at work parties or other people's houses, but I enjoy the company.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    it's just a couple days I don't worry about it. If you're stressed schedule in some extra workouts this week, or even that morning. I"ve never been the type to eat until it hurts, so over indulging isn't really my thing anyway. I will definitely snack on all the goodies all day and try all the foods. I'm cooking this year, and tbh I'm not making the *healthier* version of anything, except reeling in the sodium for hubby. I've maintained for 4 years - through two pregnancies - and I've never considered holidays, parties, or dinners out with friends the enemy.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    I just eat/drink what I really, really want to. The nibbles, desserts etc at parties are usually too sweet, too processed and have sat around for too long waiting for people who are not hungry to stuff their faces with. I just avoid them and focus on spending time with the people. I honestly prefer my cooking to pretty much anything served at work parties or other people's houses, but I enjoy the company.

Ditto!
  • WonderWhitney11
    WonderWhitney11 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Fill your plate once (reasonably), eat it, then brush your teeth or chew gum. The minty freshness helps me avoid eating more junk to make my breath icky again! :)
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I'm going to do what I always do: Eat what I feel like.

This is only a small period out of a much, much longer-term plan.
  • kmhenry84
    kmhenry84 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Enjoy an occasion, and don't take left overs home.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I personally don't eat the foods I could get anytime especially if I didn't prepare them.

This! This has been a huge mental check for me throughout. Cake for somebody's retirement party? Eh. Cookie with the lunch? Eh. I tell myself the food is nothing special. But if somebody is going to the trouble of making their Greek grandmother's baklava, oh yes. Totally worth it.