Need healthy smoothie recipes please!

Options
I want to start drinking smoothies in the morning for breakfast the ones with fruit in it I hear it helps with weightloss is that true!

Replies

• acl94536
    acl94536 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I made one for my brother today. I put some non-fat vanilla greek yogurt mixed with orange juice, 5 strawberries, and a banana. For added protein, put 1/3 cup of egg whites.
  • luciasprogress
    luciasprogress Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Smoothies are my favorite! Here are my suggestions:

1. Start with a base. I prefer some kind of unsweetened milk (soy, almond, coconut, hemp, dairy, etc.). You can also use coconut water, fresh-squeezed fruit juice, or yogurt mixed with water.
    2. Frozen banana (or half)! This will make it thick and creamy. I never skip this.
    3. Greens! You can use fresh greens like spinach, kale, or chard. You can also use dried "superfood" greens like wheatgrass, spirulina, and different mixes of those. I use a scoop or two of Amazing Grass Original Superfoods in absolutely every smoothie. It's expensive but the energy and nutrients I get from it can't be beat! It's also not expensive compared to fresh greens if you like a lot in your smoothie.
    4. Add some fruit. I like to use frozen fruit so that the smoothie will be thick and cold, but personal preference. Berries of ALL sorts, mango, pineapple, melon, whatever kind in whatever combos you like! Or you can skip this altogether.
    5. Protein powder, optional. Whatever brand you like in whatever flavor you like. I use Garden of Life Raw Protein, which is very high protein/low calorie from sprouted brown rice, or just plain hemp protein which is also very high protein/low calorie.
    6. Seeds and nuts. The calories can add up here without you noticing so be careful, but just watch how much you're adding and it will be completely worth it in both taste and added nutrients. Seeds include hemp (creamy and flavorless), flax (make sure they are ground so you get the nutrients), and chia (like weird, teeny-tiny tapioca balls that absorb the water around them if you let them soak so they're great for filling you up). As far as nuts, cashews make the smoothie very creamy without changing the flavor, and add any nut butters you like (just watch the amount), or even PB2 powder (peanut butter without the fat).
    7. Anything extra! Fresh bee pollen, soaked/dried goji berries, a small amount of coconut oil, avocado for creaminess, raw cacao powder (just a little bit for an intense chocolate flavor), maca powder, grated ginger, dates for natural sweetness, stevia extract for sweetness, vanilla extract, spices like cinnamon, etc.

These are some of my favorites:

1. Soy milk, frozen banana, Amazing Grass powder, fresh spinach, frozen dark cherries, and ground flax seeds.
    2. Soy milk, frozen banana, Amazing Grass powder, frozen mango, hemp seeds, fresh bee pollen.
    3. Soy milk, frozen banana, chocolate protein powder, PB2 powder, raw cacao powder, hemp seeds.

That turned out so much longer than I intended, but I hope it helps! And they will keep you full all morning and afternoon, even without protein powder. Have fun!
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    your choice of dairy or dairy alternative- yogurt or milk

blue berries-frozen or fresh

banana-frozen or fresh

spinach or other green

ice-optional

ground flax seed-optional

blend and serve