30lbs loss for ~30y women maintaining

Options
Hi,
I was reading some research about maintaining weight loss and how after weight loss you need to eat less calories than someone of the same size/age who had never been overweight... but of course there are many factors such as overall health, age, gender, genetics, and how long you were overweight...
So I am 31, 5'5'' and I am starting out at 160 lbs and my goal is 125-130 lbs... I think when I was in grade 9 I was 150lbs and a couple of times after high school I went down to 150 lbs (while sick). But my body always bounces back to 160... and it is really easy for me to maintain 160 (eg. I eat lots and exercise not at all and can't really get more than 175 lbs and it comes off easy down to 160).

I am just wondering for people with similar stats to me who have lost that weight, how long do you have to maintain it before you no longer feel like you are fighting your 'set point' ? Or is this a forever thing?

Also, on a similar note, how long before other things adjusted, eg. skin tightening? I know some people say they have loose skin after and I am just curious if this is common for people who are losing around 30 lbs?

Thanks for any input on this, sometimes I feel like my body just wants to be 160 but I know this is not healthy for my frame/height... just wondering if it gets easier to maintain after a few years of having it off, are you able to increase your calories after a few years of having it off or are you stuck with that lower amount from initial maintainence period?

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    The answer from me is, I don' know. I have been in the low 140's to the balloon up to 174 3 years ago. After losing 46 pounds down to 128 in 2012, I actually find it relatively easy to maintain by logging, eating better food, and getting more activity in. in the 140's , I was always ballooning up and having to lose. I seem to do much better (even though losing the weight was a slow but steady after I got to 139) in the 128-131 range. I have a very long small frame and am 5'8". most PT people think I should be in the 135 to 145 range, but it just doesn't work for me and I went to a performing arts doctor to confirm the lower range is ok. If I keep my activity up, I eat around 2000 calories a day, lower activity, 1200 to 1500 a day. The only place I had real "loose" skin was in-between my ribcage abdomen area, and it continueally gets better with time. (I am now 56 years old)

Your mileage will vary, but just to let you know, I didn't worry about the reports other than what foods are "superfoods" and just keep logging, logging.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Bumping for replies.

My two cents on it is that yes the body has a happy weight and when you lose and maintain a loss for around 6 months then that becomes your body's new happy weight. I am finding this to be true. I've roughly stayed the same for well over a year.

My issue is I would have liked to have dropped another 7 lbs but it's just not happening. I work hard and shift 3 or 4 lbs over the period of a few months (always been a slow loser) then my weight settles once more back up those few of pounds.

I am fed up with the struggle to get those final pounds off and have decided this is my maintenance weight.

Since I've accepted that I feel much happier. I'm hoping now I've made peace with it that over a period of time those pounds will melt off saying I'm still keeping a small deficit.

I'm 5 ft 2" , 45ys and my weight range is between 134-138lbs. My weight doesn't bother me too much as my stats are better now than when I was a stone (14lbs) lighter, all down to strength training and consistent cardio 5/wk. For me I'm happy being a small size 10 (uk) so am not prepared to half starve myself to see a lower number on the scale just because I think I should!

I currently eat 1900 -2200 cals/day.
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have very similar stats. I am 30, 5'6 started at 168lbs and now at 131lbs-- not yet maintaining, still going for about 10 more pounds. I can't say what it will really be like maintaining yet, but I totally get where you are coming from. I used to think that the weight I was at around 160 was just "where my body liked to be." But in reality I think it is possible to maintain at any healthy weight without feeling deprived.

As for loose skin, nope, don't have any. About 35lb loss now and my skin just naturally shrunk with me. I think the loose skin happens more with older people or with people who have 50+lbs to lose.
  • eat_hike_b33r
    eat_hike_b33r Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!
    While I am still in the loosing phase now I find some comfort in knowing it might be possible to maintain a lower weight without feeling like I have to restrict my calories forever (I like food too much!).
    Looking forward to a new 'happy weight'.

@apparations - if you don't mind me asking what caloric intake/weight loss per week did you aim for during your weight loss? I was hoping to lose the 30 lbs by April or May but I don't want to be unrealistic...
  • apparations
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I went with what MFP suggested for me based on a 'lightly active' activity level for a 1lb loss a week. I think it started off somewhere around 1600cals/day and it's now giving me 1400 based on what I weigh now (not yet in maintenance).
  • eat_hike_b33r
    Options
    Ok, so I put 1lb loss per week and inactive and I think it set me at 1300kcals per day. If this number goes down as I loose more weight I am pretty sure I will be starving...
  • apparations
    Options
    Storble wrote: »
    Ok, so I put 1lb loss per week and inactive and I think it set me at 1300kcals per day. If this number goes down as I loose more weight I am pretty sure I will be starving...

That's why adding exercise calories is so important! Then you can eat more and not feel so restricted.

• eat_hike_b33r
    Options
    So true, I am going to have to start doing that. While I know its not an excuse, I am in school and find myself spending most of my time sitting unfortunately....