Exercise & Calories

Options
2»

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Yep, I eat them. I'm happier that way. That and when your exercising around 6hrs a week, 1400 calories isn't going to cut it. But, here's my break down:

I don't use MFP estimates. I have MFP set to Sedentary.

I have a Fitbit, which I use to give me (or take away) calories based on how active I am for the day. On days were, I'm truly sedentary my fitbit usually results in me losing like 100 calories. I could raise my MFP activity level, but then on days where I'm sick/lazy, I end up losing like 300 or so calories by the end of the day. Seeing that large of a negative adjustment makes me sad. :cry:

I log all my exercise on Fitbit. I let my fitbit decide my calories for walking/running and use a HRM for my exercise DVD's/youtube videos. I only log up to 80% of the calories my HRM gives me.

The only thing in my MFP exercise log is my Fitbit Adjustment (includes exercise & daily activity that I did above MFP's prediction).

Actually I workout more than 6 hours a week (12+) and eat about 1400, but I am petite and dobnot /probably don't weigh as much ad you do. I am close to goal and still losing about 8 lbs/ month

Ya probably. You look thin in your profile pic. I'm in the high 160's currently. As for 8lbs a month, well I only want to lose about 4lbs per month. I'm hoping to maintain as much muscle as possible. Based on my estimated TDEE (from intake vs loss data) I would lose over 2lbs per week if I ate around 1400 calories (the math puts me at burning around 2600 calories per day). I discovered yesterday that I'm averaging close to 2lbs per week loss with an average intake of around 1800 calories (between 1200-1400 NET) and I need to up my calories a bit because I don't want fast weight loss.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    It depends on what I have planned the next day as the weather I eat into them significantly.

For example tomorrow I have a session with my Trainer and I have in the past been quite light on my calories the day before and seriously struggled to get through the hour to the point of nearly getting ejected out the back of a treadmill when I nearly fainted once. So tonight I ran 7 miles and will eat back about half those calories.

On normal days when I have a normal days training the day after I will only use them if I miscalculate my daily intake and then probably no more than 200 of them
  • peter7361
    peter7361 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back my exercise calories, however I do exercise away my excess calories. If what I plan to eat (or what I already ate) puts me over my calorie goal for the day, I adjust my exercise goals accordingly. I also compare what other online calories burned calculators give me for numbers for the exercise I do to get a more accurate idea of what I'm burning.
  • KarenE86
    KarenE86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Depends on the day. Some days I don't eat any of the calories back and other days I treat myself to a small amount of ice cream or glass of wine with the calories I burned
  • xtiansalcedo
    xtiansalcedo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I wear a heart rate monitor when I exercise, and eat back most, if not all, of my exercise calories.

I exercise because I like to eat.

This. Like others have said, I eat them back but leave a 100ish calorie buffer to account for possible errors. I've successfully been more or less at maintenance since the start of summer, so that seems to work, at least for me.

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I cut my exercise time in half when entering it into MFP. And then I allow myself to eat all of them back if I want to. Sometimes I'm just not hungry. I found if I don't eat them back, the next day I am "starving". I exercise a lot and consistently so my body is pretty happy eating around the same amount of calories per day.
  • unapologetically_crystal
    Options
    if you use myfitnesspal's idea of calories you are supposed to eat all exercise calories.. (if say you have a heart rate monitor).. if you dont then id suggest some or half.. or looking up a closer idea of what you most likely burn during your exercise. i personally prefer the tdee method because then its already calculated in it and i dont have to stress over it.

here are some tdee websites.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Yep, I eat them. I'm happier that way. That and when your exercising around 6hrs a week, 1400 calories isn't going to cut it. But, here's my break down:

I have a Fitbit, which I use to give me (or take away) calories based on how active I am for the day. On days were, I'm truly sedentary my fitbit usually results in me losing like 100 calories. I could raise my MFP activity level, but then on days where I'm sick/lazy, I end up losing like 300 or so calories by the end of the day. Seeing that large of a negative adjustment makes me sad. :cry:

I log all my exercise on Fitbit. I let my fitbit decide my calories for walking/running and use a HRM for my exercise DVD's/youtube videos. I only log up to 80% of the calories my HRM gives me.

The only thing in my MFP exercise log is my Fitbit Adjustment (includes exercise & daily activity that I did above MFP's prediction).

Is there a way to set-up MFP or Fitbit to deduct calories if you're too sedentary a particular day?

Also if you a HRM (I have a Polar) do you take the Fitbit off while using the HRM?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    dunnodunno wrote: »

Is there a way to set-up MFP or Fitbit to deduct calories if you're too sedentary a particular day?

Also if you a HRM (I have a Polar) do you take the Fitbit off while using the HRM?

If you go to your MFP Diary settings, click the box to enable negative adjustments. This will allow Fitbit to deduct calories if your not as active as MFP thinks you will be.

I leave it on. It doesn't matter one way or the other. When you log exercise calories (either here or on fitbit...your choice) you have to put in the start time and duration. It takes that information to overwrite whatever fitbit thought you burned during that time period. I can log say a 30 min walk for 1 calorie burn and fitbit even gets rid of my BMR for the time period I log it for. Since my HRM isn't the nicest, I start an activity record with my fitbit so I know the exact start time.
    I'm also very likely to forget to put my fitbit back on if I take it off. I'm a tad bit scatter brained.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    dunnodunno wrote: »

Also if you use a HRM (I have a Polar) do you take the Fitbit off while using the HRM?

If you go to your MFP Diary settings, click the box to enable negative adjustments. This will allow Fitbit to deduct calories if your not as active as MFP thinks you will be.

I leave it on. It doesn't matter one way or the other. When you log exercise calories (either here or on fitbit...your choice) you have to put in the start time and duration. It takes that information to overwrite whatever fitbit thought you burned during that time period. I can log say a 30 min walk for 1 calorie burn and fitbit even gets rid of my BMR for the time period I log it for. Since my HRM isn't the nicest, I start an activity record with my fitbit so I know the exact start time.
    I'm also very likely to forget to put my fitbit back on if I take it off. I'm a tad bit scatter brained.

Thanks for the reply. Will have to remember the time, calories, and duration of the exercise if I do use my HRM.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Hello folks . . . do you consume all, or some or none of the calories which are "given" to you when you exercise?

Thanks in advance.

Yes. The total depends on how hungry I am.