Tricks for killing sweets cravings?

Options
2»

Replies

• Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup raisins &/or dried cranberries, apricot, fig, apples, mango ...

1-2 tablespoon spicy sweet sunflower seeds ( 1 cup seeds, cayenne, 1 teaspoon xylitol or birch sugar which is part of my Lyme protocol, 1 teaspoon coconut oil)

8 raw walnuts or 15 raw almonds or 10 raw cashews. Put in small jar & shake to coat with spicy sweet.

Gave up added sugar cold turkey. Now candy bars make me sick, reinforcing the no sugar lifestyle.

I cook & grow most foods. Do not use processed products so I am satisfied physically but still crave a treat. This has to be tweaked to fit into my daily calorie allowance. I dehydrate fruits & nuts in season which helps reduce cost.

Also love apple with chunky peanut or almond butter - 1-2 Tablespoon max.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    Frozen grapes taste like little sorbet pellets. Frozen bananas that have been pureed in the food processor makes a great ice cream substitute. Add a handful of frozen berries to improve the color, or stir in some cacao powder.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Rickbottom wrote: »
    Anyone have any good go-to's to nix a craving for sweets. I know low carb eating eliminates cravings but I can't stick to it so I am trying to eat a balanced diet which includes carbs, even at dinner. I can stay well within my calorie goal during the day but sometimes, at the end of the day, I crave something sweet. Yesterday I had nothing in the house but some Lidl baklava, I bought just to try. Bad idea. I ended up over calorie goal due to 400 cal of Baklava (!), and it was not even good baklava. Any suggestions on how I could satisfy that craving without adding mega calories?
    Ps - I will NEVER buy Baklava again. ;)

Yes, if you have calories left over, here's what you can do: :smiley:
    1. Take said good sweet out of the cabinet.
    2. Read the label to see serving size and calories.
    3. Decide.
    4. If yes, take a piece out and weigh it.
    5. Log it
    6. Put box away
    7. Eat that serving.

This is the only way I have been able to get rid of binges and sweet cravings.

Also, sometime going on a binge means you are not eating enough during the day. What is your calorie goal?

Though I am fully aware this does not work for everyone, the only way I have been able to handle sweets is to allow myself a small serving, even if it's a really small serving because I'm out of calories for the day.

Good luck!
  • Bobbie2466
    Bobbie2466 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I found the chocolate pb2 and the regular pb2 at Target in Maryland. I think that our Wal-mart has it too. If you have a Target and Walmart that sells food in their stores near you you might be able to find it there too.
  • cantumelia
    cantumelia Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Just had frozen bananas for dinner. Yummy! Love the suggestion, thanks a lot :)
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    In a pinch, a tablespoon of chocolate baking chips works--less than 50 calories and if you just put a couple of chips in your mouth at a time and let them melt they can last quite a while!
  • loopingcaterpillar
    loopingcaterpillar Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    low cal hot chocolate
  • Ruzuki
    Ruzuki Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I love sweets, so I always save enough calories to have a sugar-free pudding cup. Or sometimes I substitute it for a bite sized Twix bar. The issue with that is having it in the house... you have to be able to stop yourself with one.
  • FitMolly182
    FitMolly182 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    cantumelia wrote: »
    Tetris! When you crave for sugar just play tetris or some other puzzle game. There's even some research about it.

I really like this idea! A great idea to get your mind off of it AND bonus it's a nonfood idea!

• salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    banana ice cream made with some chocolate almond/soy milk
    twizzlers
  • hummynbyrd2252
    Options
    I got some matcha tea from, Unicity brand, that is sweetened with pomegranite and I think Stevia. So it's sweetened naturally, and controls cravings, and boosts your metabolism all at the time. Lots of herbs, vitamins and minerals and really tastes good.
  • kelly39014
    kelly39014 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Aspartame
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Have a sweet, but make sure it's a good quality, delicious one. I love handmade chocolate- it's more expensive but also more satisfying and I'm not likely to eat 6 pieces in one go since 1 piece does the trick.

Hot tea- I drink it all day long but especially at night to wind down. A healthy sweet that I love is vanilla yogurt pureed with sliced frozen peaches- it's like this light, yummy ice cream and sooo good.

I used to paint my nails or do something with my hands but it didn't really help that much :P Sometimes you just need a treat.
  • cantumelia
    cantumelia Posts: 59 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Didn´t know what Baklava was, so I googled it and saw some photos. Now I understand: I really could not refrain myself from eating that thing, LOL :)
  • Juvenica
    Juvenica Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    any fruit is a great idea, I love apples yellowish green , not too sweet not too sour ,
    as for the baklava I'm sorry you had a bad experience, of course its a lot over the top with cal but as taste is involved , if done the right way , its delicious. We make it every year for new years eve in my country.
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Frozen bananas whizzed in the processor make killer dairy free ice cream. You can add a little of something else to make it even sweeter or nommier, like nutella or PB.

Or, if this is a daily ongoing struggle, try upping your protein. You're suppose to eat 1g for every pound you weigh, but I find that impossible to afford. But trying to get about 150g a day has really helped my cravings for sweet things, probably because I'm eating fewer carbs in order to fit it into my calories for the day.

Oh and this: http://amyshealthybaking.com/blog/2014/02/12/skinny-single-serving-microwave-brownie/ But swap one tablespoon of water with an extra tablespoon of yoghurt and add granulated sweetener. I put a little bit of nutella on top while it's cooling, making it a decadent, generous chocolate brownie for about 150 calories.

(If you aren't averse to pills, chromium at a 500-1000mcg work for me too.)
  • cnldance
    cnldance Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    frozen fruit!! they taste like candy! i get the pineapple, peach, mango, and strawberry mix. It's so good!