Thai butternut squash soup...amazing!

baxterroxy
baxterroxy Posts: 43 Member
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/thai-butternut-soup

Amazing! Add diced grilled chicken before serving for a more well rounded meal. Don't forget the lime juice, it makes it taste awesome! Use an immersion blended if you got one for easy cleanup.

Replies

• Hi, can anybody help me please? What is Canola oil? Is that similar to olive oil? Soup looks delicious and I've got some home grown butternut squash in my kitchen so am going to try this soup. Thanks for sharing.
  • Always interesting how we call different stuff by different names in different countries. In the recipe, Cilantro is what I would call Coriander lol. Confused.com but hopefully it's gonna be #delicious!!!!
  • baxterroxy
    baxterroxy Posts: 43 Member
    well cilantro comes from coriander seeds. So I see how that could go with way haha
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    LLLindaWWW wrote: »
    Hi, can anybody help me please? What is Canola oil? Is that similar to olive oil? Soup looks delicious and I've got some home grown butternut squash in my kitchen so am going to try this soup. Thanks for sharing.

Canola is a hybridized form of rapeseed oil. Any neutral vegetable oil can be substituted.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Canola Oil = Rapeseed Oil. I wouldn't touch it.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,873 Member
    Thanks. I used to do a similar soup with carrots. When squash is out of season, carrots work pretty well too.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Canola Oil = Rapeseed Oil. I wouldn't touch it.
    this! Better to stay away from this if you can.

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    That recipe looks delicious! I need to try it.

By the way, there's nothing wrong with Canola oil. It's just fear-mongering about GMOs that has given it a bad reputation, but there's absolutely no scientific evidence for that sort of fear-mongering. Canola oil is great for cooking because it's high in omega 3s, low in saturated fats, and has a high smoke point and a neutral flavour.

I prefer olive oil where possible, since it's somewhat healthier and tastier. But it's not appropriate for every recipe because it is much more flavourful (sometimes that flavour clashes with what you're cooking), and is not great for high heat cooking due to its low smoke point.